Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Article in today's New York Post

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby jaclyn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:06 am

jaclyn

Postby Azuma » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:46 am

I hope no one takes that article too seriously.
Azuma

Postby Trip » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:50 am

I was just flipping around the radio dial in the car, and came in partway through two DJs reading part of this story. I wasn't sure whether they had picked it up from some other source or were just deliberately being malicious by ignoring the most obviously satiric parts of Ken's essay. (Now I know, of course.)

Whether the original writer was so irony-impaired as to not recognize that a story involving angry bees chasing contestants was a joke ... I don't know, it's hard to believe that anyone could be that stupid. It feels like deliberate misrepresentation meant to make Ken look bad. Why, I have no idea.
Trip

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:53 am

I wonder at what level the sarcasm-meters broke. Like, did Michael Starr know it was a humor piece, but his piece fooled Fox News into thinking it wasn't? Or did Fox News know but fool the drive-time deejays? Or did the deejays know as well, but fool their dumber listeners?

This is stupid. "Ken Jennings advocates stinging contestants with bees!"
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby MFalk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:57 am

Trip wrote:Whether the original writer was so irony-impaired as to not recognize that a story involving angry bees chasing contestants was a joke ... I don't know, it's hard to believe that anyone could be that stupid. It feels like deliberate misrepresentation meant to make Ken look bad. Why, I have no idea.

Consider the source. I've seen it on two News Corp. outlets (the Post and FOX News) which make their livings by stirring the pot and pushing people's buttons. If they understood Ken's satire, then it wasn't news. If they pretended they didn't understand it, then there's something to be appalled about, and that's news.

Most people don't go to the source and consider the matter for themselves-- they believe what their media outlet of choice spoon-feeds them. Also, my senior English class in 1996 taught us what satire and humor are and that they're useful literary devices, but this information is apparently no longer in the curriculum.
MFalk

Postby peach » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:32 am

:( How very sad and disappointed I was to read the Ken Jennings blog on the Fox News Channel website. I do not read the New York Times (too liberal). I guess Ken has never heard the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." It has been said that when people suddenly come into a lot of wealth quickly, it changes them. I guess that holds true in this case. Jeopardy is my and my son's favorite game show to watch. We sit together and watch, learn, laugh, and challenge each other everyday. We even watched you, Ken, and my son was in awe of your performance. I will not let him read the article, so he will still think highly of you.
I won't get into a battle about all the criticisms you had concerning the show, but you should be ashamed of your words, and obviously, didn't think of the consequences. It sounds as if you are asking for the host's job. Are you? I think the current host is the best and it saddens me that you would criticize him publicly as you did. I normally don't participate in forums such as this, but after reading your blog, I felt compelled to do so, not only for me, but for my son, who is only 14, and loves the show. With all due respect, I think you are sadly mistaken concerning the show's format, colors, etc. Maybe you will spend some of your earnings and rent a billboard with an apology to us Jeopardy fans.........................................
peach

Postby Windian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:07 am

peach wrote::( How very sad and disappointed I was to read the Ken Jennings blog on the Fox News Channel website. I do not read the New York Times (too liberal). I guess Ken has never heard the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." It has been said that when people suddenly come into a lot of wealth quickly, it changes them. I guess that holds true in this case. Jeopardy is my and my son's favorite game show to watch. We sit together and watch, learn, laugh, and challenge each other everyday. We even watched you, Ken, and my son was in awe of your performance. I will not let him read the article, so he will still think highly of you.
I won't get into a battle about all the criticisms you had concerning the show, but you should be ashamed of your words, and obviously, didn't think of the consequences. It sounds as if you are asking for the host's job. Are you? I think the current host is the best and it saddens me that you would criticize him publicly as you did. I normally don't participate in forums such as this, but after reading your blog, I felt compelled to do so, not only for me, but for my son, who is only 14, and loves the show. With all due respect, I think you are sadly mistaken concerning the show's format, colors, etc. Maybe you will spend some of your earnings and rent a billboard with an apology to us Jeopardy fans.........................................

Wow, maybe you should check the source and actually read the blog post Mr. Jennings made? It was obviously a joke... all of us are stupider for having watch people fail to understand that it was a joke--I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Windian

Postby Phil Elmore » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:31 am

Humor, to be humorous, has to be based in truth. It didn't sound like a joke; it sounded like a humorous but cutting indictment of the show.
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
Phil Elmore

Postby Windian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:42 am

Phil Elmore wrote:Humor, to be humorous, has to be based in truth. It didn't sound like a joke; it sounded like a humorous but cutting indictment of the show.

Are you kidding me? Let me just quote a few of the lines from the original post which I HOPE YOU HAVEN'T READ... (http://ken-jennings.com/blog/?p=70)

"“Can our returning champion do it again on tomorrow’s show? Tune in and find out, everybody. Legalize cannabis. Good night.”"
"Finally, Alex. I know, I know, the old folks love him. Nobody knows he died in that fiery truck crash a few years back and was immediately replaced with the Trebektron 4000 (I see your engineers still can’t get the mustache right, by the way.)"
"I think it would rule if, just one time, Alex had to read off a board like:

* PlayStation
* The Arby’s 5-for-$5.95 Value Menu
* Reality TV
* Men’s Magazines
* Skanks from Reality TV Who Got Naked in Men’s Magazines
* Potpourri
"

"Fourth, why are there no physical challenges? It doesn’t have to be Nickelodeon déclassé, buckets of green ooze falling from the ceiling. It could be tasteful and restrained. Like, if you know the answer, you have to run from your podium to the gameboard, jump up to touch the clue in question, and give the answer. “What is an Arby-Q?” Then you run back to your podium to select again. Some of these contestants, frankly, could use the exercise. Oh, also, there are angry bees."

So in conclusion, I have two questions which I hope you can answer: did you really not get the joke or did you not bother to look at the source? Why are you reading the post or watching Fox News?
Windian

Postby peach » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:44 am

[quote="Windian"][quote="peach"]:( How very sad and disappointed I was to read the Ken Jennings blog on the Fox News Channel website. I do not read the New York Times (too liberal). I guess Ken has never heard the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." It has been said that when people suddenly come into a lot of wealth quickly, it changes them. I guess that holds true in this case. Jeopardy is my and my son's favorite game show to watch. We sit together and watch, learn, laugh, and challenge each other everyday. We even watched you, Ken, and my son was in awe of your performance. I will not let him read the article, so he will still think highly of you.
I won't get into a battle about all the criticisms you had concerning the show, but you should be ashamed of your words, and obviously, didn't think of the consequences. It sounds as if you are asking for the host's job. Are you? I think the current host is the best and it saddens me that you would criticize him publicly as you did. I normally don't participate in forums such as this, but after reading your blog, I felt compelled to do so, not only for me, but for my son, who is only 14, and loves the show. With all due respect, I think you are sadly mistaken concerning the show's format, colors, etc. Maybe you will spend some of your earnings and rent a billboard with an apology to us Jeopardy fans.........................................[/quote]
peach

Postby Phil Elmore » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:51 am

No, the report I read was linked in Yahoo news (I think the report was on Fox). That's why I asked if it was meant to be humor or not. I don't know Ken and don't care if he thinks poorly of Jeopardy. I was simply curious.
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
Phil Elmore

Postby peach » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:55 am

[quote="Windian"][quote="peach"]:( How very sad and disappointed I was to read the Ken Jennings blog on the Fox News Channel website. I do not read the New York Times (too liberal). I guess Ken has never heard the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." It has been said that when people suddenly come into a lot of wealth quickly, it changes them. I guess that holds true in this case. Jeopardy is my and my son's favorite game show to watch. We sit together and watch, learn, laugh, and challenge each other everyday. We even watched you, Ken, and my son was in awe of your performance. I will not let him read the article, so he will still think highly of you.
I won't get into a battle about all the criticisms you had concerning the show, but you should be ashamed of your words, and obviously, didn't think of the consequences. It sounds as if you are asking for the host's job. Are you? I think the current host is the best and it saddens me that you would criticize him publicly as you did. I normally don't participate in forums such as this, but after reading your blog, I felt compelled to do so, not only for me, but for my son, who is only 14, and loves the show. With all due respect, I think you are sadly mistaken concerning the show's format, colors, etc. Maybe you will spend some of your earnings and rent a billboard with an apology to us Jeopardy fans.........................................[/quote]

Wow, maybe you should check the source and actually read the blog post Mr. Jennings made? It was obviously a joke... all of us are stupider for having watch people fail to understand that it was a joke--I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.[/quote]

Joke or not, it was done in very poor taste. No one ever heard of Ken Jennings until Jeopardy and this is the way he thanks the show. He should have kept his negativity to himself!! May God (notice that God is ALWAYS capitalized) have mercy on YOUR soul................
Last edited by peach on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
peach

Postby rkd » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:05 am

Phil Elmore wrote:Humor, to be humorous, has to be based in truth. It didn't sound like a joke; it sounded like a humorous but cutting indictment of the show.

I do see how someone could read it that way. But in the context of everything else in the blog, it's clearly just a joke, not an indictment of the show. I don't recall Ken having said anything negative about the show ... if he had something against the show, it seemingly would have popped up in the previous 40-or-so blog entries.

--Raj Dhuwalia
rkd

Postby Windian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11 am

peach wrote:
Joke or not, it was done in very poor taste. No one ever heard of Ken Jennings until Jeopardy and this is the way he thanks the show. He should have kept his negativity to himself!! May God (notice that God is ALWAYS capitalized) have mercy on YOUR soul................

1. Did you actually read the original post?
2. Ever since Al Gore invented the internet (please note: that was sarcasm) it has been my observation that one should never nitpick about grammar because it always results in a useless back and forth over typos. However, I will make a brief exception to note that it is not correct to capitalize entire words, despite what you may have learned about grammar from J.K. Rowling.

EDIT: I should also comment on your insistance that "God" should "ALWAYS" be capitalized. Whether I use the word god or God the meaning of the word, the higher power, does not change. Your desire that the word always be "God" implies that there is some importance with the word and more specifically the difference between a lower-case and upper-case g. In a way, you are worshipping a word "in likeness of what is in the heavens above" which not only makes you stupid (for your failure to comprehend blatant sarcasm), but also sacreligious (take that mormon/moron pun lady)!
Last edited by Windian on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windian

Postby jpsesq » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11 am

I tease and poke fun at friends, family members and other loved ones all the time. It seems to me that Ken Jennings was just poking fun at Jeopardy, which is something that was a huge part of his life for a long time. If anything, Ken's humorous blog post showed his affection for the show.

One more thing. Jeopardy did a lot for Ken Jennings, but his phenomenal run also did quite a bit for the show.
jpsesq

Postby bookmark » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 am

Ken,You certainly don't owe Jeopardy an apology. I am sure that Alex Trebec sees the humor in your remarks. I thought your remarks were hilarious but there are always those people that just don't get it and read negative things into the text that just aren't there and are not what you meant! You are a very clever writer with a good dose of humor. I get it!!!
Bookmark
bookmark

Postby Robert K S » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:39 am

The NY Post article seems to have been picked up by the arts sections of a number of morning papers today. In the case of The Plain Dealer they've got a big color picture of Ken looking serious behind the podium on the inside front of Arts & Life.
Robert K S

Postby AndySaunders » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:01 am

...and I think that papers who are writing about it negatively should be inundated with letters to the editor.
--

Andy Saunders
AndySaunders

Postby Nailing Malarkey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:32 am

AndySaunders wrote:...and I think that papers who are writing about it negatively should be inundated with letters to the editor.

Um Andy... there is like a few dozen of us here. Not much inundating is likely.
Don't be so humorless, people will think you are a robot.
Nailing Malarkey

Postby geniusNOTatWORK » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:40 pm

Oh my goodness, it's funny, insane, and sad how your "letter" to Jeopardy! just exploded all over news sources and how they all want you to apologize to the show! Geez... people can't take a joke these days, can they?

But as for me, I do, whole heartedly, LOVE your letter, it's so funny :)
geniusNOTatWORK

Postby Azuma » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Azuma wrote:I hope no one takes that article too seriously.

Wow... quoting myself is strange.

I must admit... I made my initial comment as a joke; I didn't think anyone would be so thick as to actually take the article seriously when I read it, but the fallout of the article has proven otherwise. Still, I guess my comment became an honest comment that foreshadowed this whole affair. I cannot believe that it's being blown out of proportion like this in such a horrid way. The public limelight truly is cruel. I wouldn't apologize for the entry if I were you... from my perspective, it is YOU who deserves the apology.
Azuma

Return to Main Forum