Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Another movie trivia question

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby rockgolf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:27 pm

And Harold Russell in Best Years of Our Lives for the second.
rockgolf

Postby edvz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:57 pm

gwynne1984, that is impressive research

Note that Pulp Fiction is excluded because
Jackson and Travolta were nominated for
different Oscars - the strategy didn't help
as neither got it.
edvz

Postby edvz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm not sure, but I dont think
an honorary award for appearing
in a film is an Oscar, is it?
edvz

Postby Dobie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:33 am

Yes.
Dobie

Postby carlopanno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Paucle wrote:
carlopanno wrote:Here's one:

AFTER THE "BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR" OSCAR CATEGORY WAS ESTABLISHED, HE WON 3 OF THE FIRST 5 AWARDS

Easy to look up, but try to remember.

Also:

THE ONLY PERSON IN ACADEMY HISTORY TO RECEIVE TWO OSCARS FOR THE SAME PART IN THE SAME MOVIE

and if you want to play along, "receive" is an important part of that clue.

--c

trying BRENNAN for the first one?

Bingo.

--c
carlopanno

Postby carlopanno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 pm

edvz wrote:I'm not sure, but I dont think
an honorary award for appearing
in a film is an Oscar, is it?

An Honorary or Achievement Award usually is an Oscar statuette. Sometimes it's a plaque. The Irving Thalberg Award is a bust of Irving Thalberg.

The Academy had some fun in its awards in the early years, including a wooden achievement award for ventriloquist figure Charlie McCarthy, a miniature Oscar for child-star achievement awards, and a particularly imaginative one given to Walt Disney for "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs":

This kind of innovation fell by the wayside as the Academy became less of a club and more of an more of an I*N*S*T*I*T*U*T*I*O*N. The institutional actions are commendable, like the establishment of the authoritative and open-to-the-public Margaret Herrick Library and the ongoing informational programs and film screenings (all open to the public at a bargain-basement $5 a ticket, while they last) but there isn't really a sense of fun any more.

--c
carlopanno

Postby ArtVark » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Since we are all trivia people, I think that the Academy Awards are important because they
give specific answers in a field that is not specific.

What was the best movie in 1997?

We can argue about this for hours, and neither one of us can be considered incorrect.

What movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1997?

That question now has a specific answer.

Other categories like sports and geography do not have this problem. There is no
debate involved with questions like Who hit the most major league home runs in 1927?
or What is the capital of Belize?
ArtVark

Postby bwouns » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 pm

carlopanno wrote:THE ONLY PERSON IN ACADEMY HISTORY TO RECEIVE TWO OSCARS FOR THE SAME PART IN THE SAME MOVIE

Follow-up question:

There is another instance where an actor was nominated in two separate categories for the same role but only won in one of them. Who was the actor and what was the film?
bwouns

Postby carlopanno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:59 pm

ArtVark wrote:Since we are all trivia people, I think that the Academy Awards are important because they
give specific answers in a field that is not specific.

What was the best movie in 1997?

We can argue about this for hours, and neither one of us can be considered incorrect.

What movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1997?

That question now has a specific answer.

Other categories like sports and geography do not have this problem. There is no
debate involved with questions like Who hit the most major league home runs in 1927?
or What is the capital of Belize?

There's another complication. Movies made in year X win the Oscar in year X+1.

I liked to tie it down by movie release year: THIS 1969 FEATURE WAS THE FIRST X-RATED FILM TO WIN "BEST PICTURE"

--c
carlopanno

Postby carlopanno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 pm

carlopanno wrote:THE ONLY PERSON IN ACADEMY HISTORY TO RECEIVE TWO OSCARS FOR THE SAME PART IN THE SAME MOVIE

bwouns wrote:Follow-up question:

There is another instance where an actor was nominated in two separate categories for the same role but only won in one of them. Who was the actor and what was the film?

Good one.

How about the one role that two different actors won Oscars for playing in two different movies?

--c
Last edited by carlopanno on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlopanno

Postby gwynn1984 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:54 am

Follow-up question:

There is at least one more example of an actor who was nominated in two separate categories for the same role. The one I'm thinking of didn't win either award and the films/nominations weren't in the same year.
gwynn1984

Postby carlopanno » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 am

gwynn1984 wrote:There is at least one more example of an actor who was nominated in two separate categories for the same role. The one I'm thinking of didn't win either award and the films/nominations weren't in the same year.

I don't like this question, it's too convoluted for my taste.

Answer is here.

BTW, the AMPAS database is a good source for Oscar research but I found the answer(s) elsewhere. Presenting the answer from the official Oscar database is authoritative, though.

--c
carlopanno

Postby edvz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Who can add to the following list? As usual, there is
at least one trait they have in common:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
The Shining (1980)
Titanic (1997)
edvz

Postby Ponch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 am

carlopanno wrote:
gwynn1984 wrote:There is at least one more example of an actor who was nominated in two separate categories for the same role. The one I'm thinking of didn't win either award and the films/nominations weren't in the same year.

I don't like this question, it's too convoluted for my taste.

Answer is here.

BTW, the AMPAS database is a good source for Oscar research but I found the answer(s) elsewhere. Presenting the answer from the official Oscar database is authoritative, though.

--c

Not very authoritative when the session times out though. :wink:

If I understand gwynn's question, I believe the answer overlaps with yours
Ponch

Postby bwouns » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 am

Since this seems to be the thread for Oscar trivia of late, I'll post this here.
I've noticed that this is the second year in which George Clooney received Oscar nominations for two different movies in the same year (Best Actor for The Descendants and Best Screenplay for The Ides of March this year and in 2005 Best Director and Screenplay for Good Night and Good Luck and Best Supporting actor for Syriana) Something tells me he isn't the first person to achieve this, but I'm too lazy to do the research right now.
Can anyone name other examples?
bwouns

Postby skullturfq » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 am

Sigourney Weaver was nominated for Best Actress for Gorillas in the Mist and Best Supporting Actress for Working Girl, both in 1988

Steven Soderbergh was nominated for Best Director for Traffic and Erin Brockovich, both in 2000
skullturfq

Postby gwynn1984 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am

I think the question was asking if anyone before George Clooney had done it twice in his/her career.

The question didn't specify that at least one of the nominations had to be for acting, so, yes, technically it's happened - probably many times. Just one example: John Williams who appears to have been nominated for Oscars for two different films in the same year 13 times (including one year when he was nominated for 3 different films). I'm sure something similar has happened for other composers, costume designers (particularly Edith Head), producers, etc.

If we do include the criterion that at least one of the nominations is for acting, I'm sure that's happened too- particularly in the very first years of the awards, when a single nomination for an actor could include performances in multiple films.

So, if the real question is: Is George Clooney the first person to be nominated in two different years for two Oscars in the same year, for different films, where at least one of the nominations was for acting, and happened after the Academy rules stated that a single performance was nominated for each acting award....?, I have no idea, but I'd love to find out :)
gwynn1984

Postby bwouns » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes, I meant people who have done it in at least two different years. Sorry to skullturfq if that was unclear. I wasn't restricting it to actors, so John Williams is exactly the kind of example I was thinking when I said "Something tells me he wasn't the first to achieve this."

Who else?
bwouns

Postby rockgolf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:11 pm

In both 1979 & 1982, Warren Beatty was nominated in 3 different category (Actor, Director, Screenplay), but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. Eastwood has also been nominated for Director & Actor for the same film in different years.

Do the nominations have to be for different films, or does the person have to be nominated in 2 categories in two years? The Clooney example fits both, Beatty & Eastwood only the former.
rockgolf

Postby bwouns » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm sorry. I have to learn to be a better question writer. That's two people who have misunderstood the question in two different ways.

The nominations have to be for two different films in the same year for any combination of categories, including the same category. And it has to happen in at least two different years.
bwouns

Postby marpocky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm

bwouns wrote:I'm sorry. I have to learn to be a better question writer. That's two people who have misunderstood the question in two different ways.

The nominations have to be for two different films in the same year for any combination of categories, including the same category. And it has to happen in at least two different years.

I got what you were going for, if it makes you feel any better. No idea about any possible answers, though. Movie trivia is not a strength for me.
marpocky

Postby mavman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 pm

With Kenneth Branagh's nomination this year, we have the relatively rare possibility of an actor winning an Oscar for portraying an Oscar winner. Only one person has done that, and if the pundits are correct it is unlikely Kenneth will become the second.

However, there are a few cases of Oscar winners being portrayed by actors who won theirs for other roles, either before or after. One was the topic of a Final Jeopardy a few years back. Are there any others?

Can you name an Oscar winner who has played two different Oscar winners in two different films?
mavman

Postby bwouns » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:01 pm

mavman wrote:With Kenneth Branagh's nomination this year, we have the relatively rare possibility of an actor winning an Oscar for portraying an Oscar winner. Only one person has done that
Can you name an Oscar winner who has played two different Oscar winners in two different films?

Its the same person: Cate Blanchett won for playing Katherine Hepburn (Four time Oscar Winner) in The Aviator and was nominated for playing Bob Dylan (Winner for Best Song "Things Have Changed" from Wonder Boys) in I'm Not There.
bwouns

Postby mavman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes, bwouns, that is the person I had in mind. I haven't researched this thoroughly; are there others who qualify for the second criterion?

Another fun one: who portrayed an Oscar winner in 1999 then won an Oscar for a 2000 role. There's a bit of a trick to this one.
mavman

Postby Ponch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

mavman wrote:Yes, bwouns, that is the person I had in mind. I haven't researched this thoroughly; are there others who qualify for the second criterion?

Another fun one: who portrayed an Oscar winner in 1999 then won an Oscar for a 2000 role. There's a bit of a trick to this one.

Thinking about 2001 winners, I'm guessing the answer might be Julia Roberts. I haven't seen Notting Hill since it came out. Was her character an Oscar-winner?
Ponch

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum