Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Flogging Celebrinerd

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Flogging Celebrinerd

Postby XWL » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:06 pm

OK, I'm doing my small part. I've posted a blogpost simply titled, Celebrinerds (plus I cross posted at a second blog I just started inspired by the neologism "Poindexterity").

I urge everyone else who has a blog (which given the likelihood that y'all are nerds, also, fairly high) of their own to do the same, plus link to it here, so that everyone else can also link, and manipulate google into recognizing this fantastic new word rather quickly.

Also, as a tangent, my post names 6 celebrinerds of the past and present.

I chose to single out James Woods, Kat Dennings, Marcel Duchamp, Jennifer Beals, Franz Liszt, and of course Weird Al Yankovic.

Surely, the folks who frequent this message board can add to that list.
XWL

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:13 am

I was just making fun of Time's goofy house style. But, hey, if people want to start using "celebrinerd" in their daily discourse, more power to them.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Cynthia » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:28 am

I have entered the word celebrinerd on Urbandictionary.com
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Everything else is just details.
Cynthia

Re: Flogging Celebrinerd

Postby jeh023 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:48 am

XWL wrote:OK, I'm doing my small part. I've posted a blogpost simply titled, Celebrinerds (plus I cross posted at a second blog I just started inspired by the neologism "Poindexterity").

I urge everyone else who has a blog (which given the likelihood that y'all are nerds, also, fairly high) of their own to do the same, plus link to it here, so that everyone else can also link, and manipulate google into recognizing this fantastic new word rather quickly.

I was so excited to see my little blog linked in today's (9/20) post from Ken! Maybe, in addition to giving "celebrinerd" a boost, I'll boost my readership too! I was sitting at about 2 readers before, so maybe I'll hit 5. Hope people like Northwestern football, since that's my major topic in the fall.
jeh023

Postby CW Tyger » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:00 am

One of my favourite celebrinerds (although he'd probably describe himself as a celebrigeek... hey, if Time can do it, so can I), is Wil Wheaton, famous for starring on Star Trek: The Next Generation. It amazes me that a lot of people hated Wesley Crusher.
CW Tyger

Postby XWL » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:01 am

I'm as serious about this as Mr. Jennings.

(of course his protestations of not being serious about getting this word to catch on, could just be 'plausible deniability')

Thanks for linking my post.

Let's see what kind of numbers a Ken-alanche generates (Can his blog match the traffic generating powers of an Instalanche?).

At the very least, I (and Jeh023) gave you a subject for your 100th blogpost.

Sleep deprivation and jet lag haven't prevented Ken Jennings from continuing to bring teh funny, anyway.
XWL

Postby sarah42 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:24 am

CW Tyger wrote:One of my favourite celebrinerds (although he'd probably describe himself as a celebrigeek... hey, if Time can do it, so can I), is Wil Wheaton, famous for starring on Star Trek: The Next Generation. It amazes me that a lot of people hated Wesley Crusher.

I heart heart heart Wil Wheaton! Maybe it's just because I'm a teenage girl, but I always loved Wesley. I read his blog everyday, and it's hilarious hearing him geek out about stuff like Star Wars and D&D.

(here is the link is anyone wants to check it out)
sarah42

Postby CW Tyger » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:53 am

Come to think of it, Darren Hayes has expressed much love for Star Wars, too. He doesn't strike me as the celebrinerd type. As we're brainstorming more names for the list, where do we draw the line?
CW Tyger

more blog posts

Postby noahpoah » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:09 pm

noahpoah

Postby gameshowcongress » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 pm

A posting at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrinerd needs additional support or it will be deleted

It is proposed that this article be deleted, because of the following concern:

Neologism
If you can address this concern by improving, copyediting, sourcing, renaming or merging the page, please edit this page and do so. You may remove this message if you improve the article, or if you otherwise object to deletion of the article for any reason. To avoid confusion, it helps to explain why you object to the deletion, either in the edit summary or on the talk page. If this template is removed, it should not be replaced.

The article may be deleted if this message remains in place for five days (This template was added: 20 September 2006).
gameshowcongress

Postby WendellWit » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:02 pm

I don't know why Google loves me so much (sometimes it loves me too much; I still get two or three visits a day looking for stuff I took down long ago), but I am now #2 behind Ken on the search for "Celebrinerd" out of "about 107" (but it really shows only 30 "omitting some entries very similar").
WendellWit

Postby JennyS1138 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:57 am

I've got three words: Mary.Lynn.Rajskub. (pronounced RICE-cub) AKA Chloe O'Brian on 24. She is the female nerd to end all nerds. She is brilliant at playing a socially awkward, blunt, weird computer genius who can hack into any computer, get satelite footage in seconds and is Jack Bauer's most trusted ally. In real life she's a very funny and weird standup comedien whose act is based on her being uncomfortable with the world and her success. Here is the queen nerd girl in action:

see the scene that made Chloe the cult hero she is on 24. RAMBO CHLOE!!! The best ending to an episode ever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gzlH2VNXOY

See her taser a drunk guy on 24:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svizxv5K4sw

on Conan (absolutely hilarious and she mentions a story where Sex in the City's John Corbet asked her if she was retarded!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVCZ260MH_Y

on Leno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKso6yDZN0

on Gilmore Girls, singing a song she wrote called 89 Volvo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqlCyGK9wE

The Hitman, a short film she wrote and starred in (she is the hitman!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJl30bV2pRA
JennyS1138

celebrinerds

Postby Ruthmay » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:53 am

I want to know if I can be classified as a "celebrinerd"? I hope so! Does being the all-time winner on Concentration make me qualified? It really didn't take much trivia knowledge, but I did know a lot of proverbs, names, art, etc.
Ruthmay

Concentration Celebrinerd!

Postby gameshowcongress » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 am

Ruth,

I am sure that you qualify for the moniker of celebrinerd - should you choose to accept it!. Perhaps your circle of friends can start using the term in various communications, and thus assist in moving the term from neologism to generally accepted slang.
gameshowcongress

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:30 am

Hi Ruth! I was so happy you got the random mention in the Time magazine review! With so many excerpts to choose from, the Time reviewer must have been as charmed by you and your story as I was!
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Doing my part

Postby sea0tter12 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:52 pm

I have a blog for work, and I managed to write an on-topic post about celebrinerds of the cooking world. Enjoy!

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/melskitchen/archives/2006/09/ken_jennings_is.html
sea0tter12

Postby gzkn » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:01 pm

New to this forum (I've become hooked to Ken's blog), and as my first post, I wanted to give an update: Google now lists about 13,500 results from searching "celebrinerd". I have my doubts, though, as to whether or not the word actually reached a tipping point, as Mr. Gladwell would say; lots of similar results from a few sites seem to be inflating the number.
gzkn

Postby WendellWit » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:51 am

Thanks for reviving the thread, gzkn. I just checked Google and found that Ken still has the #1 and #2 search results, and my little-old-blog is still #3. I've been getting unrequitted love from the Google machine for years and have never figured out what I'm doing right. (The city of Minneapolis is still p'd at me for this.)

And the Time Magazine article that first coined the phrase? Number 29.
WendellWit

Postby papi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:48 pm

I've been trying to come up with a word to describe Alton Brown and his ilk (you know, those cooks who treat a kitchen like a chemistry lab). The "celebrinerd" craze that peaked here three months ago inspired me to coin the portmanteau "culinerd" (culinary + nerd), however, a google search shows that at least three people have beaten me to the punch. I'm reviving this thread in hopes that people here will come up with some other nerd-centric neologisms, as our vocabulary is clearly deficient in that department.
papi

Postby TheConfessor » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:48 am

papi wrote:The "celebrinerd" craze that peaked here three months ago inspired me to coin the portmanteau "culinerd" (culinary + nerd), however, a google search shows that at least three people have beaten me to the punch.

Just change the spelling. Google hasn't yet documented any Cullenerds. That term might apply to lots of classic game show fans.
TheConfessor

Postby cadams35 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:56 am

WendellWit wrote:I don't know why Google loves me so much (sometimes it loves me too much; I still get two or three visits a day looking for stuff I took down long ago), but I am now #2 behind Ken on the search for "Celebrinerd" out of "about 107" (but it really shows only 30 "omitting some entries very similar").

Now it's up to 831.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Return to Main Forum