Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Big foam head idea

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Big foam head idea

Postby BryceI » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:52 am

You could shoot a really cool Dali/Bunuel-esque short. Maybe drill some holes in the nostrils and have yourself emerge from it, dripping in some kind of horror-film goo. Get Earl to shoot it -- he'd probably have some cool ideas.
BryceI

Postby funkycat » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:25 pm

We all know that eBay is prime territory for selling strange items such as this one. Auction it off, and good luck packaging it up for shipping.
funkycat

Postby ericblair » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:29 pm

you could always invite art enthusiasts to your home and convince them that Claes Oldenberg created the head as a friendly gift. almost anything can pass as modern art these days.

edit: anything can pass as modern art these days.
ericblair

Postby BryceI » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:42 pm

ericblair wrote:you could always invite art enthusiasts to your home and convince them that Claes Oldenberg created the head as a friendly gift. almost anything can pass as modern art these days.

edit: anything can pass as modern art these days.

At Duke University's Nasher Museum of Art, there's a really creepy self-portrait -- a big head (fiberglass, I think) that's amazingly detailed, down to the individual pores. It's about 5 feet tall.

Pic here.
BryceI

Postby MFalk » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:45 pm

This is the sort of thing that a small town-- forgotten by the Interstate system and thirsty for tourists-- would kill for. They could assemble a shrine, complete with boulders, benches, cobblestone walkways, a "Ken Jennings was here!" sign, and a donation box. Or they could put it next to their "Cowville-1 mile" sign on U.S. Highway 394 in the hope of luring weary, trivia-minded travelers. Maybe they'll stick it atop the local ice cream parlor and adopt for it a name like "Dairy Ken".

Best of all, if you donated it to some dusty hamlet, it would probably be tax-deductible.
MFalk

Postby JayLewis » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:52 pm

Someone else suggested a movie, but that made me think of another which would be perfect...

http://www.qwizx.com/pics/beingkj.jpg

Sure, it has been done but sequels/"re-imaginings" have never stopped Hollywood before.
http://www.QWIZX.com
A little bit of everything
JayLewis

Postby ranjolie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:52 pm

seems like you really want to take it with you, maybe those what is FED-EX? guys may give you free shipping, considering you gave them free advertisement.
ranjolie

Postby DadofTwins » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:05 pm

Two words: Pez dispenser

This is not the signature you're looking for.

Move along.

DadofTwins

Postby SilverC » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:10 pm

MFalk wrote:This is the sort of thing that a small town-- forgotten by the Interstate system and thirsty for tourists-- would kill for. They could assemble a shrine, complete with boulders, benches, cobblestone walkways, a "Ken Jennings was here!" sign, and a donation box.

I think you could take this idea and take it a step further. In the tradition of Jim Thorpe, PA; Gene Autrey, OK; and Truth or Consequences, NM, you could offer to donate it to the first town that is willing to rename itself "Ken Jennings." Although it could be in any state, I would think Utah would be the natural place for this kind of homage to the state's brightest citizen (or former citizen). One of those strange little towns along the highway between Grand Junction, CO, and Provo might be in need of this particular brand of urban renewal.
SilverC

Postby curiosity » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Roll it over to Mount Rushmore and glue it up beside Lincoln's chin. Everyone will think it belongs there.
Although Borglum's estimate of the sculpture's endurance -- "Until the wind and the rain alone shall wear them away." -- may work faster on Big Ken.
curiosity

Postby periwinkle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:38 pm

Offer it to NBC for a prequel to "Third Rock From the Sun," starring the Big Giant Head.
periwinkle

The Shrine

Postby atomyk » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:12 pm

I'll send it to CompHealth where we can make it the centerpiece of a permanent Ken Jennings 'King of Jeopardy' shrine where your millions of fans may pay homage. I'll tell Mary Biljanic that she may NOT hang a CHG logo nearby as a shameless promotion for the company.
I got soul but I'm not a soldier
atomyk

Postby TheConfessor » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:51 pm

The solution is obvious. Open your own muffler shop.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/muffler/gal2.html

Oops, someone beat you to it. There's already a Ken's Muffler Shop in Dallas (see bottom photo). This looks like another case for your intellectual property attorney!
Last edited by TheConfessor on Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheConfessor

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:30 am

These suggestions are awesome. Keep 'em coming.

I wondered about eBaying it...shipping would be a nightmare, of course, but maybe someone here in Salt Lake would want it. Then it could sit in their garage gathering dust.

Various cathartic, symbolic destroying-it options occurred to me too, but then there'd be a mountain of styrofoam crumbs in my yard or wherever I whip out the chainsaw.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby jcrmoon42 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:52 am

I can only imagine what someone would be willing to pay for it on eBay. With some online promotion before you begin the auction, it could be as huge as the head itself. I can see all kinds of websites and television shows picking up on it as a "can you believe this?" kind of thing. Pick a great charity to give the money to and watch it take off.

Or you could do a big promotion, ala the Bartman ball, where the head is publicly blown up or, even better, flung by a trebuchet. Ooohhh...gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. :lol:
Jason Russell
Lee University Quiz Bowl '88-'92, '96-'98
Actor at Sight and Sound Theatre, Lancaster, PA
jcrmoon42

Postby cinemaniax7 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:14 am

I'm seeing a new stop on the Sony Pictures Studio Tour. Ken's head should fit in nicely alongside the props from Stuart Little. Perhaps Sony could upgrade the head with a database, voice recognition software, and a couple of speakers (Ken in Dolby Digital!) and turn it into an interactive exhibit called "Stump Ken's Head." If Ken's head cannot answer your trivia question, you win. Any suggestions for a prize?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
cinemaniax7

Postby dtaylor4 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:54 am

I say we hold an all-out drag-out hardcore Jeopardy-style tournament, where the winner gets the head. This could feasibly be done online.
dtaylor4

Postby AndySaunders » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:25 pm

Just how tall is the head?
--

Andy Saunders
AndySaunders

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:06 pm

AndySaunders wrote:Just how tall is the head?

I actually measured it just this morning, in case I decided to go the eBay route. It's roughly 45" x 40" x 40".

Ken
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Jonathon » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:22 pm

It should be part of the last hole of a quiz-show-themed miniature golf course. If you get a hole in one, flames shoot out the ears.
Jonathon

Postby TimH » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:56 am

Ken: Keep the Big Giant Head for yourself. If anyone ever suggests that you have your head up your posterior, you can show them how wrong they are.

Tim H.
TimH

NYTimes picked up your topic!

Postby harpua » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:21 pm

hi ken

the friday ny times has this article: http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/06/23/travel/escapes/23giants.html

basically, it talks about the slice of america that loves (normally fiberglass) gigantic humanoid representations. gives an idea of pricing too.

bill
harpua

Postby trevkeeper » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:42 am

It could the 1st place prize (individual or team) for next year's HSNCT or ICT. That'd be amusing.
trevkeeper

Postby Miri » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Use it for the cake topper at Earl's wedding. Or the backdrop. Either/or.
Miri

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Miri wrote:Use it for the cake topper at Earl's wedding. Or the backdrop. Either/or.

Or a wedding gift. Hmmm.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Next

Return to Main Forum