Ken Jennings

Message Boards

1 vs. 100 redux

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

How long to answer questions?

Postby dz » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:21 pm

I'm just curious, how long does the mob actually have to answer questions? I assume it is quite a while even though it is edited to seem only a few seconds, but still, this 'last man' format is somewhat unfair since the 1 player has longer to answer than everyone else.

Did Annie Duke have the most correct answers in a row of everyone from her shows to earn the position? That would make more sense. I did hear Bob say though that had she been knocked out, the next person would be 'randomly' chosen, so I'm led to believe that maybe wasn't the case.
dz

Re: fri 9/o7 1 vs 100

Postby themanwho » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:57 pm

graison wrote:king henry vii and larry king both had 6 wives. the show was incorrect!
i dont know where else to complain to.

Larry King's been married 7 times to 6 different women. How was the question phrased?

And Henry the Seventh was married nowhere near 6 times. Or was that a typo?

-M
themanwho

Re: fri 9/o7 1 vs 100

Postby econgator » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:06 pm

themanwho wrote:
graison wrote:king henry vii and larry king both had 6 wives. the show was incorrect!
i dont know where else to complain to.

Larry King's been married 7 times to 6 different women. How was the question phrased?

And Henry the Seventh was married nowhere near 6 times. Or was that a typo?

-M

I don't remember the exact phrasing of the question, but I am pretty sure it was a garden variety, "Who's been married the most times", type of question. I know the question didn't specify 'different women' or anything like that.

To the other question, it was Henry VIII, not Henry VII.

I had already addressed this over here: http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboar ... php?t=1681
econgator

Postby ranjolie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't want to brag but I knew the answer, blame it on the National Enquirer, Star, People , US magazine you name it . Unbelievable that Larry King has been married so many times, harder to believe the women had agree to marry him. Oh, well, always the simplest of question will get the smartest guy. You did great Ken, and you smiled more this time around.
I'm curious too about how long does the mob has to answer the question, it seems like a short amount of time, sometimes the questions involve math or thinking like how many states had the word new on them.
ranjolie

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:02 pm

The question was number of marriages, not number of wives. It was right.

I'm not sure why I was so sure Larry King was married only four times, considering that's three whole women off. Also, there was a Mormon connection: his current wife is Utah native Shawn Southwick. Oh well.

I totally forgot this was airing tonight. During the taping, they let me plug Brainiac...did that make the aired version, or did they cut it?
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby TimH » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:I totally forgot this was airing tonight. During the taping, they let me plug Brainiac...did that make the aired version, or did they cut it?

No Brainiac plug. They only aired the "Brad spanking me" stuff.

Tim H.
TimH

Postby Robert K S » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:18 pm

They cut your plug. I was right with you, Ken, on Larry King having been married 4 times (is that fource)?
Robert K S

Postby Dave Mackey » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:35 am

I'm a little leery of Annie Duke's "random" selection, as somewhere within the deep recesses that is NBC lies a late night show called "Poker After Dark" that Ms. Duke has made appearances on, as well as the upcoming National Heads-Up tournament. Knowing how network television works, the cynic in me thinks that Annie Duke's selection was a little less than random.

FWIW, I had the correct answer to the Larry King/King Henry VIII question. But my girlfriend kept insisting that Henry VIII was married eight times, as opposed to the six. And I tell her, "No, Henry VIII was married six times. And Larry King was married seven times.

And did anyone notice that Nancy "Christie"'s name was spelled wrong on the Chyron? It's C-H-R-I-S-T-Y, isn't it, like that old Kellie Martin TV show.
Dave Mackey
Dave Mackey

Postby ranjolie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:18 am

I knew the answer to the last question but I would have been eliminated with the Which has more stories? I was thinking the Chrysler Building. I checked on Stephen King stories today, he has written a lot of stories.
ranjolie

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:25 am

Did they really say Annie's selection was random? Contestants were told quite clearly that the first pick would be totally stage-managed, and subsequent ones would be random.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby velocity boy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:11 pm

There was no mention that the choice of Annie was random.
velocity boy

Postby dz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:14 pm

Right. They just said Annie would be the first contestant, and then the choice of subsequent players would be random.

I'm still really interested to know how long the mob had to answer questions though, Ken. I guess if you guys had like 2 minutes, and she had 2 1/2 or something, it wouldn't be a big deal. But if you got say 5 seconds, and she had 30, well as a contestant I'd have a problem with that.

In the end she didn't win, so I'm sure someone might argue it doesn't matter, but just because she didn't win that's not the point...
dz

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:31 pm

I think it was around 10 seconds, down from about 15 last time I was on? Hopefully someone can back me up on that.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby dz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Wow that's not long. For me personally, it took a while for New Mexico to pop in my head, and then I was concerned about a possible 5th 'New' state for a while. In just 10 seconds it would be hard to be positive unless you just know that fact offhand.

Also on the 'most stories' question, my first instinct was the Chrysler building, but then I started thinking it's not just Stephen King's long novels, and ultimately realized that King was the right answer, but my total thought process was more than 10 seconds.

I bet if the mob had as long as Annie did on those questions, less would have gotten them wrong. It helped her to be able to talk them through for a minute, I think.
Last edited by dz on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dz

Postby hermillion » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:09 pm

The mob had, I believe, 10 seconds to answer. Could have been 15, as I've slept a few times since then. Annie could take as much time as she wanted, and was hysterical to watch. The "special" mob members had private waiting areas in a separate building from the regular mob folks, and a couple of us spent time visiting back and forth before the taping. We were in the rooms that the Deal or No Deal models use, so we wandered around checking out costumes for upcoming tapings, and such.

When Brad, Ken, Kevin, Annie, Sister Rose and I walked together into the soundstage where the rest of the mob was seated, I think the sound level dropped about 75%. Most folks probably recognized Ken and/or Brad and/or Annie, but it was fun for me to be a small part of an "intimidating" group! Momma, the 6'4" drag queen Ken mentioned in his comments about our taping, joined us in mufti at first, but really caused a stir when she appeared in full glory. S/he's a hoot and a half herownself! Annie and I sat together on a couch while the producers gave their pre-taping talks, and she is as charming and funny a person as you could hope to meet. We both agreed that neither of us really wanted to be the first one to be selected from the mob. The whole group was told ahead of time that the first 1 would be chosen by the producers, and all others would be randomly selected from remaining Mob members. Annie was truly surprised when her name was called, but I can understand why she was chosen. This is one bright lady, and I think they wanted someone who could answer questions AND not freeze up in the spotlight.

Yes, they spelled my name wrong, but it's happened so many times in my life that I just laughed it off. I've already gotten an email apology from the producers, so that's good enough for me.

Nancy Christy
hermillion

Postby Lilly » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:57 pm

This is totally random, but I just realized that Brad Rutter is pretty cute.

Anyways, I just watched the episode, and I think I like the "Last Man Standing" setup better than the normal setup! Definitely a good show, and Ken, you were witty as always.
Lilly

Postby tyg » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:22 pm

A member of a couple of recent "regular" mobs has posted that the answer time for mob members is 10 seconds.

Annie Duke's definitely a very smart woman, and not just vis a vis poker. Her father is teacher and author Richard Lederer (Anguished English and other books), she's a graduate of Columbia U., and left UPenn just one month before her scheduled Ph.D. defense in the psycholinguistics field of cognitive psychology.

Hope Kevin Olmstead's doing well; he and I were quiz bowl teammates (with him then moving to coach after his Ph.D. graduation) back at UMichigan.
tyg

Postby Dave Mackey » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 am

hermillion wrote:Yes, they spelled my name wrong, but it's happened so many times in my life that I just laughed it off. I've already gotten an email apology from the producers, so that's good enough for me.

Nancy Christy

Thanks for the post of your experiences. Sounds like you all had a great time being in the Special Mob. You'll be happy to know that you are still spoken of in reverent tones over at Millionaire. Your picture and that of Kevin Smith (the other syndicated winner) are all over the green room as an inspiration to us all.

(Blatant Plug: You can see how much of an inspiration on the April 5 episode.)
Dave Mackey
Dave Mackey

Postby Toonces » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:55 am

Kevin Olmstead is doing well. I've seen him several times moderating at trash tournaments the last few months.

I think that the Last Man Standing verson of 1 vs 100 is 100x more interesting to watch than the current variant. I hope they've learned their lesson and use it as a regular tournament if not the actual format.

I read on wikipedia that most of the foreign formats of the game to not allow the player to "get out". He gets 2 or 3 chances to "dodge" a question that the mob is required to answer, but he still has to outlast all 100 people to win anything. I still contend that the game is massively broken until they find a way for rational players to actually want to try to beat the last 10 players.
Toonces

Postby sam1 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm

I was a mob member immediately after the "last man standing" episode. Mobsters were given 15 seconds to answer the question which is a 5 second increase from prior shows. The "one" is given up to 10 minutes to answer. I lasted through 8 "ones" and many of them took the full 10 minutes to answer some of the questions.
sam1

Postby dz » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:27 pm

hmmm... Interesting sam. I hope you won something more than just a couple bucks. We should know your identity soon enough then, I assume you will be advertised as leader of the mob in upcoming shows if you lasted that long...

10 minutes, sheesh.
dz

Postby sam1 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:56 pm

I can not say a whole lot due to the contract we sign. Bob did acknowledge me at the beginning of a few shows but never during actual taping. One of the shows I was in has already aired. The "one" was the gal last week who walked with two helps but did leave with $72,000. I was also in the mob with Raoul as the "one" he is the guy who ended the last show and will finish his game this Friday. Raoul seemed to be the smartest contestant I faced. He was quick to answer and had decent game strategy.
Unlike Jeopardy they do not air the shows in the order they are taped. My first day of taping was actually the "most hated mob" episode. I was in the adjoining studio during the "last man standing" episode and watched that being taped. I wish I was in that mob as I answered all the questions correctly but I can't complain. Cheer for me Friday!
sam1

Postby polarea » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Wow, I haven't had access to cable for a few months, but I did catch the series premiere w/ Ken, which I enjoyed despite the slow, drawn out infuriatingness. If I'm reading these boards right they're now choosing the new "1" from within the surviving 100 randomly? That would make a seriously better game as far as I'm concerned, so thumbs up to whoever made that change over at the show.
polarea

Postby ranjolie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:54 pm

The last man standing was one of the different formats they tried for the month of February(sweeps) they had 1 vs 100 kids, they will be having 1 vs the 100 most hated eg. police officers, irs, etc... but I think they will come back to the regular format as they already did right after the last man standing.
One more thing 1 vs 100 airs on NBC that is a local channel in my area.
ranjolie

Postby polarea » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:45 pm

ranjolie wrote:One more thing 1 vs 100 airs on NBC that is a local channel in my area.

Too bad NBC isn't local Canadian!
polarea

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum