Ken Jennings

Message Boards

George Kennedy

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

George Kennedy

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:50 pm

If Leslie Nielsen can get his own thread, so can George Kennedy.

What do these men have in common?

2 men.jpg
2 men.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 5722 times

2 more men.jpg
2 more men.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 5722 times

Can you add to the list? I can think of a few more men, including two TV sitcom characters, but no women come to mind right now.
Neel Mehta

Re: George Kennedy

Postby Momma Snider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:37 am

I never get these, but to me Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy were pretty much the same person.
Momma Snider

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:26 am

I'm not sure I have the whole theme, but based on what I have so far, I can guess at the sitcom characters.
Attachments
Hawkeye.jpg
Hawkeye.jpg (12.25 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
George.jpg
George.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
Bill

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:12 am

Maybe this guy, untless this is more specific than I'm thinking.
Attachments
george-harrison-living.jpg
george-harrison-living.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:46 am

Bill and Ken seem to have it. (I can think of one or two specificities that affect this list, but neither has come up yet.)

I forgot about the Alan Alda character. I was thinking of a more recent male sitcom character, introduced in the 1990s.

Here are descriptions for some real people that would also qualify:

1. An African-American musician and bandleader most closely associated with the 1970s.
2. The lead actor of one of the most popular shows currently on television.
3. Veteran NBA player, presently on the Cleveland Cavaliers roster.
4. Veteran NFL player, who recorded the longest interception return in Super Bowl history.
5. Two living novelists; each won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, 12 years apart.

Feel free to solve and add others.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:I was thinking of a more recent male sitcom character, introduced in the 1990s.

This guy?
Attachments
ThisGuy.jpg
ThisGuy.jpg (23.7 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes, that guy. Interesting photo choice.
Neel Mehta

Postby bwouns » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 am

No one's mentioned it yet, but to me the most obvious addition is a well-known multiple Academy Award winning director.

I wonder if there is someone well known who would qualify if we were to consider middle names? Thinking....
bwouns

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:35 pm

bwouns wrote:No one's mentioned it yet, but to me the most obvious addition is a well-known multiple Academy Award winning director.

director.jpg
director.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 5508 times

I'm glad you brought him up. The director is an interesting case because he
Spoiler: show
changed his last name,
which actually makes him a better parallel if you think about it.

By the way, I lied in my original post, because there was a woman I strongly considered:

1 woman.jpg
1 woman.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 5508 times

I can disqualify her for two reasons, but the second reason is closely tied to the director. Sort of a before-and-after situation.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:29 pm

It's been a week without activity, so I will post the solution.

George Kennedy (1925-2016) is/was among a select group of celebrities who share a first name with one U.S. President and share a last name with a different U.S. President.

Also pictured are Andrew Garfield, Calvin Johnson, James Taylor, George Harrison, and TV characters Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, George Jefferson, and Will Truman.

Neel Mehta wrote:1. An African-American musician and bandleader most closely associated with the 1970s.
2. The lead actor of one of the most popular shows currently on television.
3. Veteran NBA player, presently on the Cleveland Cavaliers roster.
4. Veteran NFL player, who recorded the longest interception return in Super Bowl history.
5. Two living novelists; each won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, 12 years apart.

1. George Clinton
2. Andrew Lincoln of The Walking Dead
3. Richard Jefferson
4. James Harrison
5. William Kennedy and Richard Ford

I thought director John Ford was an interesting case because he was born with a different surname (Feeney), but so was Gerald Ford (born Leslie King). This makes model/actress James King worth a mention, even though she doesn't really have a Presidential first or last name (she was named Jaime, after the Bionic Woman, and occasionally went by her nickname James).

If Leslie counted as a Presidential first name, you would think it might lead to a famous woman, but Wikipedia didn't provide much help. Former teen stars Nick and Aaron Carter had a (now deceased) sister Leslie Carter, who apparently released some music.

You get some gender equality if you wanted to make a parallel First Ladies list, but keep in mind that Abigail Van Buren is a pen name, and even if it were real, Martin Van Buren was a widower when he took office.

Back to Presidents. I wasn't sure what to do with this guy:

bifftannen.jpg
bifftannen.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 5405 times

On the surface, Thomas Wilson qualifies, but as I learned from the Who is Tom Wilson? thread, Woodrow Wilson's first name was Thomas.

Parting question! Let's say that the sole purpose of becoming President of the United States was to add to the list of first and last names that are Presidential. This means that, of the 43 men who have held the office, (1) Millard Fillmore may be the greatest President ever, and (2) there are 3 Presidents who completely failed to contribute. No new first name, no new last name. Two of them are obvious, the third less so. Who are they?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Parting question! Let's say that the sole purpose of becoming President of the United States was to add to the list of first and last names that are Presidential. This means that, of the 43 men who have held the office, (1) Millard Fillmore may be the greatest President ever, and (2) there are 3 Presidents who completely failed to contribute. No new first name, no new last name. Two of them are obvious, the third less so. Who are they?

I got it!

Spoiler: show
John Quincy Adams
Franklin Roosevelt
George W. Bush

Plus, some new additions to the original list...

Don Adams.jpg
Don Adams.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Don Johnson.jpg
Don Johnson.jpg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 201 times

William Trump.jpg
William Trump.jpg (39.94 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am

This just proves my theory: if you post a question that doesn't get answered promptly, just forget about it and someone will come along to figure it out within 2 years.

Bill wrote:
Don Adams.jpg

Hillary Clinton: missed it by *that* much.
Neel Mehta

Return to Main Forum