Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Glendale Appearence

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Glendale Appearence

Postby edeabay » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 pm

Hey all!

I just wanted to say that I was at Ken's Glendale appearence tonight, and it was wonderful! Also, to Ken, sorry I just stared dumbly at you when you try to talk to me when you were signing my book. I get nervous easily, and somehow forget to talk. :shock: What I meant to say was "It's great to meet you, your book is awesome, I love your blog, you rock!" Instead I just kind of nodded while you asked me if I like Jeopardy.....

Anyone else who was at the Glendale appearence, do you know who was the big jeopardy winner that Ken said was there? I think he was in front of me in the book signing line.

Anyway, just wanted to say you gave a wonderful talk.

PS I drove down from Santa Barbara, so Nancy Zerg has no excuse.
edeabay

Postby braggtastic » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 am

That description reminds me of Ralphie meeting Santa in A Christmas Story. At least you didn't have to travel down a slide into a pile of cotton snow when you were done.
braggtastic

Postby rkd » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:46 pm

I too was at the Glendale appearance, though I had a much shorter drive than edeabay did. It was very entertaining ... Ken was very funny, and the long long long intro was amusing in its own way. The turnout was very good. I don't know how many people were there, but I'd guess it was in the neighborhood of 200 people, which is a lot for a somewhat out-of-the-way location. The audience was an interesting mix (collectively, not each) of young and old, male and female, nerdy and non-nerdy. And it was neat for me to see a few familiar faces, like former Caltech quizbowlers Richard and Maribeth Mason (who showed up in a super-cool robotic truck which ran in the DARPA challenge race last fall). Good show -- if you have a chance to be at one of Ken's appearances, I highly recommend it.

--Raj Dhuwalia
rkd

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:58 am

Wait, Richard and Maribeth really drove the robot truck, or is that a joke?

The Slightly Confused Librarian's intro was cracking me up. It was nice to see everybody during the California trip. Those were some successful events.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby rkd » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:Wait, Richard and Maribeth really drove the robot truck, or is that a joke?

The Slightly Confused Librarian's intro was cracking me up. It was nice to see everybody during the California trip. Those were some successful events.

Yup, no joke -- though I think their friend Brian was actually driving. Richard mentioned something about it just before you left, but I don't think you heard him. It looks like a regular large pickup truck, except that it's got several lasers mounted on the front, something on the hood which I think was a GPS unit, and a few other such toys. And apparently it was missing the tailgate from where it went off the road 22 miles into the race (after leading through 16 miles), but Richard could give you more details on that. I presume it drives like a regular truck when it's not under artificial control.

--RD
rkd

Postby gringuita_1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:48 pm

I attended the Glendale appearance, as well, and had a very enjoyable evening.

I just recently finally got around to blogging about my experience chilling with the triviati. If you happen to be interested, it's at <http://la-gabacha.spaces.live.com/blog/> (though technically it'll still be there even if you're not interested...).

Enjoy,
Amy
gringuita_1

Return to Books