Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Post typos, corrections here!

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Aargh, that one's new to me. Yes, it should be "yellow fever."

I think my original thinking was that compiling the questions and answers separately would be good for error-checking: it would force me to re-research answers from scratch. In theory. Unfortunately, in practice, with deadlines looming, it just introduced new dumb errors that never would have happened if I'd typed up answers at the same time I was writing the questions.

No paperback is planned, Guy Incognito, though it's not impossible at some point. What I do plan is a section of the site compiling all the errata (and obsoletia (?)) in book order. Brainiac probably had a dozen or two errors fixed in pb...it was strikingly error-free compared to the almanac, for reasons of length, density, and lower deadline pressure.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Seaboe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:Aargh, that one's new to me. Yes, it should be "yellow fever."

If you want to get really picky, then the question should be about Juan Carlos Finlay--he made the connection in the late 1870s, early 1880s--what Walter Reed did was empirically prove the connection.

:wink:

Seaboe
Seaboe

Postby RingoOSU » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm

You some kind of Walter Reed hater? The guy founded a nationally famous high school!
RingoOSU

Postby ctoan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 am

I've recently been learning the countries of the world and their capitals--never too late for self-improvement and adding new trivia to my brain.

In the September 6 questions, regarding former names of cities, the answer to the fourth question in the hardest column says, "Maputo (Lesotho)".

I had to double check, because Maputo and Maseru were 2 capitals that I mixed up a bit at first, but Maputo is the capital of Mozambique, not Lesotho.

On the bright side, you proved that me learning isn't a waste of time--it's an opportunity for me to tell Ken Jennings (and yes, those 2 names DO always need to be said together, you aren't just Ken) that he was wrong. :)
ctoan

Errata to the Erratta ...

Postby econgator » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:15 pm

APRIL

7 CLUB SCENE, the third question 1. In addition to the answer given, the Devil Rays and—most prominently—the Padres now have home plate on their logos

It's just the Rays now. No "Devil" any more.
econgator

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks! Both fixed. Well, on the website. I didn't come to your house and correct your copies personally.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby geniusonwheels » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 am

In the subject THE SOME OF ITS PARTS, the more specific answer for number 2 is "animal cell" instead of "cell" because centrioles are found only in animal cells.

In the subject IT'S A GIFT, Andy received Buzz Lightyear on his 7th birthday and a puppy on Christmas, not his 8th birthday.

Hopefully you can figure out what days they are on, because there wasn't an index to the book.
geniusonwheels

Postby WhoisMark » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:38 am

October 25: Cheers, Not Jeers

Harder #2. "Getting Davy Jones" - The answer provided is "The Monkees." The correct show is of course "The Brady Bunch."

This was the section where I randomly opened the book when I received it to find the "Lost In Space" title error months ago. Now I've landed on the page again with my day by day approach to the book.
WhoisMark

Postby econgator » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:00 am

In the "fun fact" for 11/2, you mention Twenty Questions as appearing on WWOR-TV in New York in 1949. In '49, the station was simply WOR-TV. It wasn't WWOR until '87.
econgator

Postby WhoisMark » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Nov. 6: Just For Kicks #4 - The answer for Kix provided is "kid-tested, mom-approved" and I'm thinking it should be "kid-tested, mother-approved?"
WhoisMark

Postby WhoisMark » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:49 am

November 7 - Sofa So Good #1 - Tom Cruise was promoting 2005's "War of the Worlds" and not 1953's "The War of the Worlds.
WhoisMark

Postby econgator » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 pm

November 11th: Count and Recount

You match the Pledge of Allegiance with the Dow components.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

Looks like 31 words to me.

(and to be fair, there are 30 Dow Jones Industrials. That's not the only Dow composite. There are also Dow Jones Transportation Average of 15 companies and The Dow Jones Utilites Average of 15 companies).
econgator

Postby Amanda » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:59 pm

I got the Trivia Almanac for my birthday this year and read it all in one day! I am a fan of the musical group T. Rex so I was happy to see some questions involving them. I did notice that you weren't consistent in writing the name of the group the same way. (on April 16 it's T. Rex and on June 1 and August 6 it's T-Rex.)
Also
April 13 has a question that starts "Marc Bolan's wife, Gloria Jones..." I want to point out that they were never married (contrary to popular belief) but they had a son together named Rolan.
on June 1 "come together" question 10, the answer is "duos" but T. Rex wasn't really a duo. Marc Bolan started the group out as Tyrannosaurus Rex, which was a duo, but shortened the name and added bass and drums at the same time. I suppose on the album "T. Rex" (the first after the name change) it was still a duo, but most people who have heard T. Rex know songs from after the lineup was expanded.
One last thing was August 6th... I knew Marc Bolan died from hitting a tree but I don't know who in the world would have known it was a sycamore tree. Not that that's really a valid complaint, I just wanted you to know that probably no one in the world would have gotten that question right.

Sorry if I'm a little anal about my T. Rex trivia. Love the book.
Amanda

Postby WhoisMark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:33 am

November 18: Revival Meeting #2 - The book's answer is "The Family Guy" instead of "Family Guy."
WhoisMark

Trivia Almanac Correction

Postby Jaybone » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm new to the board so you might have received feedback on this one already, but here goes:

In Ken Jenning's Trivia Almanac, page 329, entry for August 17, under Re-Percussions, #9. The drummer who died after accompanying Paul McCartney to the Buddy Holly screening was actually Keith Moon. The answer on page 350 is given as Buddy Rich. Buddy Rich died of heart failure after surgery for a brain tumor on April 2, 1987. Apologies to all if you are already aware of this. Really enjoying the book!
Jaybone

Re: Trivia Almanac Correction

Postby WhoisMark » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Jaybone wrote:I'm new to the board so you might have received feedback on this one already, but here goes:

In Ken Jenning's Trivia Almanac, page 329, entry for August 17, under Re-Percussions, #9. The drummer who died after accompanying Paul McCartney to the Buddy Holly screening was actually Keith Moon. The answer on page 350 is given as Buddy Rich. Buddy Rich died of heart failure after surgery for a brain tumor on April 2, 1987. Apologies to all if you are already aware of this. Really enjoying the book!

Looks like a good catch to me. Other errors/corrections are found here: http://www.ken-jennings.com/almanacerrata.html
WhoisMark

Postby econgator » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:59 am

November 26, Beat the Clock, Q2:

You ask how much longer the NFL play clock is than the NBA shot clock and give the answer as 16 seconds (NFL - 40 sec, NBA - 24 sec). Mostly correct, but the NFL also uses a 25 second play clock after administrative stoppages, injuries, change-of-possessions and the like.
econgator

Postby WhoisMark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Once again for me posting here, it's TV. December 11 - Get Ready to Match The Stars

B. Should be Horatio Caine instead of Horatio Crane for Caruso's CSI Miami character
WhoisMark

Postby WhoisMark » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:28 am

December 14 - Bad Blood
#5 What high-definition disk technology is Sony's rival to HD DVD?

This Q might need some updated wording in a future edition?
WhoisMark

Postby econgator » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:03 pm

WhoisMark wrote:December 14 - Bad Blood
#5 What high-definition disk technology is Sony's rival to HD DVD?

This Q might need some updated wording in a future edition?

Just change 'is' to 'was'. :)

Also, to continue the nit-picking, it's Blu-ray, not Blu-Ray.
Last edited by econgator on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator

Postby econgator » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:51 pm

December 8:

LATIN LOVERS

Yeah, right
1. After this, therefore because of this is give as post hoc ergo prompter hoc. It should be ... propter ....
econgator

Postby WhoisMark » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:59 pm

More to compete with Econgator here than an actual error:

December 18 - Unearthed #5: Taylor, Tyler or Taft.....

The names are not in alphabetical or presidential order. Any reason?
WhoisMark

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:28 am

WhoisMark wrote:More to compete with Econgator here than an actual error:

December 18 - Unearthed #5: Taylor, Tyler or Taft.....

The names are not in alphabetical or presidential order. Any reason?

Euphony.
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby RingoOSU » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:45 am

Taylor and Tyler and Taft! oh my!

And at that point Zachary Taylor jumps out of the forest roaring.
RingoOSU

Postby WhoisMark » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 am

December 23 - Beard = Weird
#1 - The wording has (deceased January 2008) Bobby Fischer "now living in exile in Iceland."

I'm setting the table for some kind of Iceland/Hell joke. :twisted:
WhoisMark

PreviousNext

Return to Books