Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Madman & Latter-Day Saints...

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Madman & Latter-Day Saints...

Postby Texcap » Wed May 28, 2008 5:10 pm

My first visit to the site, but I wanted to take a moment to offer you a belated congratulations on all of your success both before and after Jeopardy and comment briefly on your recent blog post about Mike Allred's Madman, particularly as a Latter-Day Saint that's been following good 'ol Madman for years, has a blog about comics (and other things) where I try to discuss Madman and Mike's other fantastic characters as often as I can.

From a recent entry:

Madman has been an inspiration to me since I was in high-school and first discovered the character in Madman Adventures #3 (Tundra). A friend let me read his copy knowing that it would be my kind of thing and boy am I glad that he did. I was at a place in my life where — like Madman — I was asking a lot of questions about the “big picture” and it was comforting to read about Madman’s own struggles trying to understand the infinite. The zaniness of the book was an instant draw as was the supporting cast and an obscure scriptural reference that put a huge smile on my face. I was hooked early, ran to start my own collection and I’ve been a huge fan of the character and the Allred’s ever since. But hopefully more on that soon!

http://texcap.wordpress.com/2008/05/02/mike-allred-modern-master/

Of course, that scriptural reference was "Nephite" from The Book of Mormon, and thanks to a heck of a fun story in that first issue I read, and that little LDS hook, I started collecting the book myself and have been a huge fan ever since thanks to the strength of Allred's characters and stories, the "snazzy" art by the Allreds, and obviously because the work holds a personal significance for me.

Anyhow, glad to hear you've been following recent events in the book and feel free to stop by and yack about Madman, etc. anytime you'd like at my blog or at Mike Allred's Message Board where he often talks openly about Madman and his faith as a Latter-Day Saint:

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/allred/

I'm sure they'd love to have ya.

All the best...and congratulations on the whole Cypher thing my friend!

(Who'd a thunk Captain Canuck was LDS? Learn something new everyday...)
Texcap

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Hey, welcome aboard. I saw the related thread over on Mike Allred's message boards.

I wish I'd reread the Super Groovy King Pop Madman Special (or whatever that thing was called) before posting that entry. That issue is full of LDS subtext. All that "progression is eternal" stuff in the narration captions is straight out of the Mormon playbook.

The Mormon-themed content in Madman has gone from subtext to text since the Tundra/Dark Horse days. I wonder if that reflects the way Allred's approach to religion has changed over the years.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum