Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Fill-in-the-Palindromes

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 pm

For each item below, fill in the set of blanks with a real palindrome. I make no warranties of the quality of these palindromes, promising only that each can be read the same forwards and backwards.

(Each blank represents a letter, and I used a slash to separate words. Please note that while I put the palindromes on their own lines for clarity, they may be part of a longer quote.)

1. "Why did the literalist
_ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ?"
"He said that he wanted to be a seasoned traveler."

2. I asked Mia Hamm how important her father-in-law was to her husband's early development as a baseball player. She replied, "He would say his father was the center of the universe.
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ."

3. Under the feudal system, the lady of the manor was without many rights, but at least she was free to slap a
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
who got handsy.

4. We wanted to call this place
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ,
but New Orleans patrons -- even the ones with jacked up hair -- wouldn't notice the wordplay.

5. "Early scouting reports tell us that this enemy camp is unprotected, and that our soldiers should be able to take it."
"_ _ , / _ _ ' _ / _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
The enemy has since fortified it, and they can stay sheltered for days."

6. Our system is efficient: we place air blowers every few square feet, so that each blower
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
and the whole surface dries out quickly.

7. Upon her inquiry, her husband answered that none of the Super Bowl commercials were for her Japanese car:
"_ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ ?" "_ _ , / _ _ _ ."

8. Dubai offers the best, most extravagant shopping centers in the world. I bought Fernando there because the kids wanted an exotic animal. That's right, he's
_ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ !

9. It's a rare honor for any celebrity to lead the way for the drivers at the start of the Indianapolis 500. You just need two things:
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ .

Solve, and feel free to add your own.
Neel Mehta

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:32 am

Cool...

Neel Mehta wrote:1. "Why did the literalist
_ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ?"
"He said that he wanted to be a seasoned traveler."

Spoiler: show
SALT AN ATLAS

Neel Mehta wrote:2. I asked Mia Hamm how important her father-in-law was to her husband's early development as a baseball player. She replied, "He would say his father was the center of the universe.
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ."

NOMAR DEIFIED RAMON

Neel Mehta wrote:3. Under the feudal system, the lady of the manor was without many rights, but at least she was free to slap a
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
who got handsy.

FRESH SERF
Bill

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:15 am

Neel Mehta wrote:Solve, and feel free to add your own.

10. Don't invite both bugle players to the next military funeral. We don't want another
" _ _ _ _ "/ _ _ _ _ .

11. I got a great deal on an iPhone at that Dublin store, though I do have some trouble understanding
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

12. Does Paula really have to cut up the meat while she's on the air? I just can't
_ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 am

Bill wrote:11. I got a great deal on an iPhone at that Dublin store, though I do have some trouble understanding
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

I solved all three, but this was my favorite.

i wish I had thought of IRISH SIRI.

Something to celebrate the long weekend:

13. Our factory was left with only its management when our competitor decided to
_ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 am

Neel Mehta wrote:4. We wanted to call this place
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ,
but New Orleans patrons -- even the ones with jacked up hair -- wouldn't notice the wordplay.

NOLA SALON

Neel Mehta wrote:5. "Early scouting reports tell us that this enemy camp is unprotected, and that our soldiers should be able to take it."
"_ _ , / _ _ ' _ / _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
The enemy has since fortified it, and they can stay sheltered for days."

NO, IT'S A BASTION

Neel Mehta wrote:6. Our system is efficient: we place air blowers every few square feet, so that each blower
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
and the whole surface dries out quickly.

AERATES A SET AREA

14. When she's singing with her co-stars from Friends, Jennifer prefers old classics like "New York, New York" and "My Way." But when singing by herself, it's her own original
_ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

15. His priest prepares sweet and sour foods, and your rabbi prefers to make foods that are salty and bitter. But my
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _
foods, and they're delicious!

16. He traded a life in the monastery to go save lost puppies, who thank him by scratching up his backseat. More power to him, but I'm not sure I'd have been so quick to
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ /_ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ /_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .
Bill

Postby rockgolf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 pm

14. When she's singing with her co-stars from Friends, Jennifer prefers old classics like "New York, New York" and "My Way." But when singing by herself, it's her own original
_ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
Art Aniston solos, not Sinatra.

15. His priest prepares sweet and sour foods, and your rabbi prefers to make foods that are salty and bitter. But my
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _
foods, and they're delicious!

Imam uses umami.
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Answers for 11, 14, and 15 are correct.

Neel Mehta wrote:7. Upon her inquiry, her husband answered that none of the Super Bowl commercials were for her Japanese car:
"_ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ ?" "_ _ , / _ _ _ ."

NO HONDA CIVIC AD? NO, HON.

Neel Mehta wrote:8. Dubai offers the best, most extravagant shopping centers in the world. I bought Fernando there because the kids wanted an exotic animal. That's right, he's
_ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ !

A MALL LLAMA!

Neel Mehta wrote:13. Our factory was left with only its management when our competitor decided to
_ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .

ROB ALL LABOR

I'm still stumped on 9. At first, I thought...

...it had something to do with RACE CAR, but that only works if it's RACE CAR & RACE CAR, which doesn't make sense. Then, I thought that RACE and CAR might be the two outer words, like RACE TAG & GATE CAR or RACE MAN & NAME CAR, if either of those fit your clue. I haven't exhausted all three letter combinations and haven't explored other alternatives, but that's as far as I got.

17. There's a very specific process for entering the access key into the train missile. Just make sure you follow the
_ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

18. When you're on Deep Space Nine, Cadet, you will respond to my orders with "Yes, Captain." I never again want to hear anything as informal as

_ . _ . , / _ _ _ _ _ .

19. Once, long ago, the evil spirits were let loose from Hell to commit atrocious acts upon mankind. But no long-term damage was done. Fortunately,

_ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ' _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ .
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:53 pm

All correct. There's something perverse about doing a Japanese car palindrome that's not about A TOYOTA. I had fun composing that.

Bill wrote:I'm still stumped on 9. At first, I thought...

...it had something to do with RACE CAR, but that only works if it's RACE CAR & RACE CAR, which doesn't make sense. Then, I thought that RACE and CAR might be the two outer words, like RACE TAG & GATE CAR or RACE MAN & NAME CAR, if either of those fit your clue. I haven't exhausted all three letter combinations and haven't explored other alternatives, but that's as far as I got.

You're pretty close with #9. Celebrities really do start the Indy 500. Some, like Jay Leno (1999) and Patrick Dempsey (2007), have a real need for speed, while others do not. Whoever gets the honor is there to drive more leisurely.

Bill wrote:10. Don't invite both bugle players to the next military funeral. We don't want another
" _ _ _ _ "/ _ _ _ _ .

"TAPS" SPAT.

Bill wrote:12. Does Paula really have to cut up the meat while she's on the air? I just can't
_ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .

TELL IF DEEN NEED FILLET.

Bill wrote:16. He traded a life in the monastery to go save lost puppies, who thank him by scratching up his backseat. More power to him, but I'm not sure I'd have been so quick to
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ /_ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ /_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

SWAP GOD FOR A CAR OF DOG PAWS.

(Wow.)
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm

10, 12, and 16 correct.

Neel Mehta wrote:You're pretty close with #9. Celebrities really do start the Indy 500. Some, like Jay Leno (1999) and Patrick Dempsey (2007), have a real need for speed, while others do not. Whoever gets the honor is there to drive more leisurely.

Hmmm...

Neel Mehta wrote:9. It's a rare honor for any celebrity to lead the way for the drivers at the start of the Indianapolis 500. You just need two things:
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ .

PACE CAR & RACE CAP
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Solved #17-19. #17 is hilarious.

20. The hiking leader insists on packing Pringles because their
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
are resealable and less easily crushed.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:20. The hiking leader insists on packing Pringles because their
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
are resealable and less easily crushed.

Elegant.

SNACK CANS

Less elegant...

21. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , / _ / _ _ / _ . _ . ?
u the Greek god of wine, but I no can serve u!

22. The former Vice President doesn't just rant and rave about the environment, but he will also stare you down like a champion. Although you'll say otherwise,
_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ !

23. When the station gave its courtroom artist a surprising bonus in snack items, the
_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ ,
but he did go looking for something to crack them with.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Solved #21 and #23. I am stuck on #22, specifically the first and last 4 letters.

Bill wrote:17. There's a very specific process for entering the access key into the train missile. Just make sure you follow the
_ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

LOCO-TORPEDO CODE PROTOCOL. I got lucky on this one, trying in vain to figure out the hyphenated word first.

Bill wrote:18. When you're on Deep Space Nine, Cadet, you will respond to my orders with "Yes, Captain." I never again want to hear anything as informal as

_ . _ . , / _ _ _ _ _ .

O.K., SISKO. Extra points for a Deep Space Nine palindrome that doesn't use ODO.

Bill wrote:19. Once, long ago, the evil spirits were let loose from Hell to commit atrocious acts upon mankind. But no long-term damage was done. Fortunately,

_ _ / _ _ _ _ _ ' _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ .

NO DEVIL'S DEEDS LIVED ON.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 am

Yes to your answers.

Neel Mehta wrote:Solved #21 and #23. I am stuck on #22, specifically the first and last 4 letters.

The former Vice President doesn't just rant and rave about the environment, but he will also stare you down like a champion. Although you'll say otherwise,
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 am

You have a gift. This thread has 12 palindromes you thought up in under a week, and 11 that I compiled over the past month. (Actually, I've had the seasoned traveler line in my back pocket for years, so, longer.)

Bill wrote:21. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , / _ / _ _ / _ . _ . ?
u the Greek god of wine, but I no can serve u!

DIONYSUS, Y NO I.D.?

Bill wrote:22. The former Vice President doesn't just rant and rave about the environment, but he will also stare you down like a champion. Although you'll say otherwise,
_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ !

RAILER AL GORE HAS A HERO GLARE, LIAR!

Bill wrote:23. When the station gave its courtroom artist a surprising bonus in snack items, the
_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ ,
but he did go looking for something to crack them with.

REWARD WALNUTS DID STUN LAW DRAWER,
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks, Neel. Great idea for a puzzle thread! I could see this thread as remaining active for years, periodically lying dormant for months and months until someone revives it with a fresh new set of entries.

That's the thing about palindromes; they keep you coming back.

My website includes a Palindrome category, which mostly chronicles my failed attempts to include a "Shakespeare Palindrome" as a weekly feature. However, the category does include a fun two-way Shakespeare puzzle, which may be of interest to followers of this thread.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Bill wrote:That's the thing about palindromes; they keep you coming back.

And forth.

24. They were nicknamed the First Couple of their country's military, and together they covered land and sea. Eve commanded the ground forces, and
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Housekeeping note: with all apologies to Bill, the board is even more inactive than usual. I've been working on a lot of new material but will wait for a bigger audience. (We had maybe 5 or 6 people who posted over the summer, and that would be fine.)

Palindromes may not be your thing, but let me know if you're around.
Neel Mehta

Postby jbenz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 am

Neel Mehta wrote:Palindromes may not be your thing, but let me know if you're around.[/i]

I'm around! And I love palindromes! I've been reading and enjoying, just haven't been able to make time to solve any yet. More of a quick glance.

I'm intrigued by what's next.
jbenz

Postby rockgolf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm

24. They were nicknamed the First Couple of their country's military, and together they covered land and sea. Eve commanded the ground forces, and
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .

ADAM RAN AN ARMADA
rockgolf

Postby grodney » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:55 am

Neel Mehta wrote: let me know if you're around.[/i]

Reading, and enjoying, the palindromes.
grodney

Postby Bill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm

25. Neel seems to have a knack for bringing people back to the boards. The next time these threads start to get stale, we'll have to remember to
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

26. If you were a fan of a certain puzzle periodical as a kid, you should log on and check out the
_ _ _ _ _ / _ - _ _ _ .

27. If Affleck remakes Lawrence of Arabia, I could see
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ _ .

28. My family's meals don't taste any better when made by Ma in a Mrs. Vanderbilt chef's hat,
_ _ _ /_ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ . / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks for #25. My name has always been more conducive to anagramming than palindroming, but you figured out a way.

And I appreciate the roll call. An audience of Bill, grodney, gwynn1984, jbenz, and rockgolf should be good. Others, of course, are also welcome. I'll let this thread wind down over the weekend and post something new Monday.
Neel Mehta

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:02 am

25:
MEHTA THEM

I got one! hahahaha

Edit:
26:
GAMES E-MAG
grodney

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 am

28. My family's meals don't taste any better when made by Ma in a Mrs. Vanderbilt chef's hat,
nor Pa in a Mr. Armani apron.
grodney

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:37 am

29. Dangerfield wanted to add to his explorer doll collection while shopping in Japan, but told himself "You can't afford that 2 million
_ _ _ / _ _ _ _, / _ _ _ _ _ _ !".
grodney

Postby Bill » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:11 am

grodney wrote:29. Dangerfield wanted to add to his explorer doll collection while shopping in Japan, but told himself "You can't afford that 2 million
_ _ _ / _ _ _ _, / _ _ _ _ _ _ !".

YEN DORA, RODNEY!

30. Our physics department prides itself on employing actual working practitioners. Of the professors who teach courses with the prefix
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
Bill

Next

Return to Main Forum