Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Trivial Almanac (Rome, Wisconsin error)

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Trivial Almanac (Rome, Wisconsin error)

Postby pattyinwis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:24 am

I am sure he gets a lot of email with errors in his book. I have found another one. Not nitpicking but I think the people of Rome, Wisconsin would beg to differ that their town is fictional. Zip code 5447 February 4th in his book Hour Town.
pattyinwis

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 am

There are plenty of errors in the Almanac (see stickied thread above) but I plead not guilty here. There ARE two real towns called "Rome, Wisconsin," but neither of them is the basis for the town in Picket Fences. It's a fictional, generically named town that happens to share its name (but nothing else) with a real place.

Interestingly, Wikipedia says there's also a made-up Rome, Wisconsin in Atlas Shrugged, of all places.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Cannon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 am

Ken Jennings wrote:There are plenty of errors in the Almanac (see stickied thread above) but I plead not guilty here. There ARE two real towns called "Rome, Wisconsin," but neither of them is the basis for the town in Picket Fences. It's a fictional, generically named town that happens to share its name (but nothing else) with a real place.

Interestingly, Wikipedia says there's also a made-up Rome, Wisconsin in Atlas Shrugged, of all places.

Yay. Vindication. That was one of the things I spent some time looking at for you. We have a Rome, Georiga, and ages ago, I was looking up European city names in the U.S. At first, I was thinking this was an error....but after researching it, realized it wasn't.
Cannon

Return to Books