Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Great book

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Great book

Postby DenL42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:20 pm

Ken - just wanted to say I polished off "Brainiac" last night and enjoyed it wholeheartedly. I read AJ Jacobs' book as well, when it came out, and as good as it was, I had a better time with yours. Thanks to you, I'm going to be forced to explain to my wife why we need to go to the middle of Wisconsin for... a trivia contest???

Any appearances scheduled in Ohio (preferably Columbus) any time soon? My closest experience with Jeopardy! came when I saw the live taping of the college championship at Ohio State a few years back. During the Q-and-A session, I desperately wanted to ask Alex if he ever got that money Marge Simpson owed him, but he never called on me. Rats.

-Dennis
DenL42

Postby hutch » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:32 am

I checked this book out of the library today and read it in one evening. I was surprised at what a good writer Ken is. I've always had a fascination with unusual trivia and enjoyed Ken on Jeopardy, although my husband insisted he was an Alien from another planet sent to Earth to make us feel stupid. The book was funny and an excellent read and I would reccommend it to anyone.
Cindy
hutch

Awesome Read!

Postby JonMoss » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:21 pm

I too checked out Brainiac from the library yesterday and between work and jazz concerts, I'm nearly half finished. I'll post more when I've finished it (probably later tonight) but I'm loving every page of Brainiac so far.
Thanks and have a great day!

Jon
JonMoss

Kudos!

Postby abeagler » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:16 pm

I read Brainiac over the holiday weekend and very much enjoyed it, as did my mother-in-law. It was interesting to read the breadth of material, and for me as a former college bowl player to read about the state of the game today (ACF tournaments were hard enough when I played, now they sound ludicrous).

Anyway, good work Ken. A very entertaining read!

Colin
abeagler

book time

Postby kcaudrain » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:19 am

I'm loving the book! It's far more interesting and readable (OK, for me anyway then [i]Humbolt's Gift [/i]the current selection for my book discussion), didn't read it in one night - however - just to about page 100 or so, I need something to read during lunch! I, too, read AJ Jacob's book, and I liked it just fine - differeent format, different person - I also enjoy Bill Bryson, lots of information, inan easy to comprehend way.
Way to go!
TTFN
kcaudrain

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks! I want to put "More readable than Humboldt's Gift!" on the cover of the paperback.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby kcaudrain » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Let me tell ya' - I bet most of the boook discussion group would get a kick out of it! I'll be watching for the next book!
I'm pretty good at Lego's if you need a babysitter! (Yep! I read the acknowledgments, my kids (14 & 12) don't play Lego's much anymore, :( )
ha - ha!
TTFN
kcaudrain

Postby braggtastic » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 am

This might be some kind of sad record, but I finished Brainiac today, two weeks shy of the year anniversary of my buying the book/seeing Ken read/sign at Union Square in NYC Sept 14, 2006. Working full time and being in grad school at night doesn't leave a lot of time for pleasure reading. In fact, if my professor hadn't canceled class that night for a reason I no longer remember, I wouldn't have made it to the reading.

Classes start again Tuesday, and I've been doing a lot of pleasure reading this summer, everything from Harry Potter to Don DeLillo. Brainiac is right up there in terms of being an entertaining, well written book. Belated congratulations Ken, and best of luck with your second book. I hope it won't take me fifty weeks to read that one.
braggtastic

Postby TheConfessor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:30 am

braggtastic wrote:Belated congratulations Ken, and best of luck with your second book. I hope it won't take me fifty weeks to read that one.

If you read Ken's Trivia Almanac at its intended pace, it will take you 52 weeks.
TheConfessor

Postby IndySOG03 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:16 am

braggtastic wrote:This might be some kind of sad record, but I finished Brainiac today, two weeks shy of the year anniversary of my buying the book/seeing Ken read/sign at Union Square in NYC Sept 14, 2006.

I've got you beat by a week -- I just finished it over the Labor Day holiday. Allow me to what are now redundant congrats, Ken! I was quickly taken back to my own days of College Bowl and high school academic team practices (though we didn't have nearly the success listed in the book). Thanks very much for not only a great take on trivia and its history, but for taking me back to those happy times!
Forever in a constant struggle to find the perfect signature.
IndySOG03

Postby ozzo2k » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:50 am

As I am from the UK I dont understand most of the references to the American competitions but I can't seem to put the book down. It must be the great way in which Ken writes, not only do I find myself aghast with a lot of new information but laughing along the way. I didn't know what to expect when I first started to read the book but I didnt think I would enjoy it so much. I just hope (and please tell me there will be) the second book is just as good.

Mark Austin
Barton upon Humber
England
ozzo2k

Postby RingoOSU » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:08 pm

I just finished Brainiac, right after reading Prisoner of Trebekistan, both great books. Anyway, when Ken mentioned fellow quiz bowl vet Matt Bruce, I was immediately taken back to when I was a student in the Union Public School system in Tulsa, and my brief attempt at Quiz teams, especially in Math Counts, the math quiz competition. Our team could never beat Matt Bruce of Carver Middle School. As far as I can tell, it's the same fellow. I'm sure he wouldn't remember me, cause I was just smart enough to be above average and to hang with the gifted, but not good enough to ever actually win anything. But I'll never forget Matt.
RingoOSU

Postby melissa » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:47 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
braggtastic wrote:Belated congratulations Ken, and best of luck with your second book. I hope it won't take me fifty weeks to read that one.

If you read Ken's Trivia Almanac at its intended pace, it will take you 52 weeks.

Maybe this should be a thread of its own, but how did/are you reading it? Day by day, week by week, or from front to back? Did you start with January 1st, or with the date you bought it?

I'm just curious how others are doing it.
melissa

Postby econgator » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:33 pm

I read each day on its day.
econgator

Postby melissa » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:39 am

econgator wrote:I read each day on its day.

That's how I'm doing it, too, and I've been told that's crazy. :roll:

I learned a long time ago to never give my brother a calendar, because he'll sit and read every cartoon of the day in one sitting. Now, to me, that's just nuts!

BTW, great read, Ken! Even though I did have the sitting up in bed in the middle of the night moment, saying, "Eisenhower!"

melissa

Return to Books