Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Whatever happened to...?

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Whatever happened to...?

Postby beckyl » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:43 pm

OK, I finished the book and one thing is preying on my mind. No wait, make that two...

I gots ta know, what happened with Earl and Matt Bruce? Did they make it onto Jeopardy!? Did Earl clean up as everyone expected him too? Was it worth the wait for Matt?

Will somebody, anybody, put me out of my misery?

We got the show years later here, so we saw it in 2006.[/i]
beckyl

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:04 pm

Hmm, I wanted to wrap up the Earl Cahill/Matt Bruce stories at the end of the book, but finally agreed with my editor that it made the last chapter a little too neat.

Neither ever made it on the show. In Earl's case, it was probably just his eligibility running out...I keep encouraging him to try out again, but I don't think he's ever retaken the test. Matt really got screwed, since he actually got blackballed AFTER getting The Call and showing up at two tapings. Talk about dashed hopes. What if Jeopardy had let him go first instead of me? I'm not sure why they never let him back on...Matt told me he thinks it might be because another quiz bowl acquaintance of his now works for the show.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby beckyl » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Crikey, it's weird that your reply popped up just then - I am procrastinating at work waiting to attend a flash freeze at Flinders St Station in an hour by reading your old 2006 blog entries - I'm sure it will be on YouTube by tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on Earl and Matt - you wouldn't believe how much this troubled me! I'm sure they are both doing well without the unknown of lost Jeopardy glory (I choose to drop the exclamation mark).
beckyl

Return to Books