Ken Jennings

Message Boards

New Thread for reviews of "Trivia Almanac"?

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

New Thread for reviews of "Trivia Almanac"?

Postby themanwho » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:25 am

Should reviews of the Trivia Almanac go in the existing "Brainiac" sticky thread or in a new thread?

---

The new issue of "Wired" has good things to say: http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/ ... lideView=2

In other news: "The Seabiscuit of Geekdom"? Really?

-M
themanwho

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:09 am

I think the "Seabiscuit" thing was an NPR quote.

The trivia book will definitely be less reviewed than Brainiac, not being a narrative book...I'm not sure if there will be a thread's worth of media mentions, but we'll see.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby kingston » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 am

Ken I bought your first book and loved it. I very much want the new one but I'd prefer to buy it in Amazon Kindle format. My house is loaded with tree books already.

Any idea when or if it is going to be a Kindle offering?

thanks,

Kingston
kingston

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:52 am

I honestly don't know how that works. Brainiac is out for Kindle. Why not the Almanac? I'll look into it.

As I said, trivia books don't get reviewed much, but this Deseret News guy at least humors the book:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 ... 38,00.html
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby enielsen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:21 am

Ken Jennings wrote:I honestly don't know how that works. Brainiac is out for Kindle. Why not the Almanac? I'll look into it.

As I said, trivia books don't get reviewed much, but this Deseret News guy at least humors the book:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 ... 38,00.html

From the review:

"If this is your kind of fun, go for it."

I'm pretty sure that translates to two thumbs up.
enielsen

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:54 am

enielsen wrote:From the review:

"If this is your kind of fun, go for it."

To paraphrase... was it In Living Color? "Two thumbs up... with the back of a hand."
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby bwouns » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/ ... 9156.shtml

Here's something from the CBS site, which comes with a link to an excerpt of the book.
bwouns

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:38 pm

enielsen wrote:"If this is your kind of fun, go for it."

I think it translates to "This is clearly not my kind of fun." They must have found the one guy in American journalism who wasn't a trivia fan.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 pm

By the way, I see a Kindle version of the Almanac now available at Amazon, $9.99.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby kingston » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:By the way, I see a Kindle version of the Almanac now available at Amazon, $9.99.

Kaching! I'm there. Thanks Ken.
kingston

Postby Le Master » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 pm

I just got a Sony Reader for Christmas. If I get the Almanac for the Kindle, will it be compatible with the Reader?
Le Master

Postby kingston » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Le Master wrote:I just got a Sony Reader for Christmas. If I get the Almanac for the Kindle, will it be compatible with the Reader?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. :oops:

Check out this forum to learn more about your Reader
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
kingston

Postby kingston » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 am

Ken I bought the Almanac on my Kindle and am loving it! Congrats on a neat book.

I find I am liking the 'interludes' a lot---where you just state a fact and (usually) give the date.

Any idea what your next project will be? Could it be something along the line of a "Book of Lists" type format?

Thanks again. :P
kingston

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Glad you liked it. You probably noticed this, but the "interludes" are each connected to the following trivia quiz in some loose thematic way. (And they should ALL have a date...are there some that don't?)

I like shallow pop reference books as much as anybody, and probably have a few left in me, but I think the next book, whatever it turns out to be about, will be a narrative book closer to Brainiac.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby kingston » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 pm

[quote="Ken Jennings"]Glad you liked it. You probably noticed this, but the "interludes" are each connected to the following trivia quiz in some loose thematic way. (And they should ALL have a date...are there some that don't?)

I just started reading it, so wasn't sure that they all contained a date, which of course they do.

One of your dates is off--the intro to Beat Generation says that Kerouac began writing On The Road in scroll form in 1962. The actual date was 1951 and the scroll can be had here:

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Original-Scr ... 823&sr=8-2 :wink:
kingston

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:35 pm

Ouch. I think this (and possible other wrong dates in the book) are the result of switching up an event and just not changing the year.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby kingston » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:35 pm

I figured it was something to do with the editing rather than the fact-checking. I gotta say Ken this a treat to dialogue with a national personage like yourself. You must be monitoring this board almost 24/7!

Couple things. Do you plan to return to game-show TV such as on 1 vs 100?

Are there plans to release your 74 show Jeopardy run on DVD? ( I'm a big enough nut to buy it)

Have you ever watched the show Stump the Schwab on ESPN Classic? The guy is kind of a Ken Jennings of sports trivia. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of materia sportica. Catch it some time if you haven't already.

It would be fun if there were a 'stump the Ken' kinda show, if only for a short run.
kingston

Postby Baylink » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 am

Ken Jennings wrote:I like shallow pop reference books as much as anybody, and probably have a few left in me, but I think the next book, whatever it turns out to be about, will be a narrative book closer to Brainiac.

Have I *already* suggested that you check out Dave Barry's 2 novels, Big Trouble and Tricky Business? :-)
An opinionated bastard of extraordinary magnitude
Blog - Photography
Baylink

Postby pedro35 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 am

Big Trouble is Big Fun.
Parabla a tu madre
pedro35

Trivia Why's Blog Reviews Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac

Postby Trivia Why's Guy » Sat May 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Finally finished reading the almanac and just posted a positive review in my blog:

http://triviawhys.blogspot.com/2008/05/ken-jenningss-trivia-almanac-review.html

Enjoy!

--
Robert Jen, the Trivia Why's Guy (whysguy@triviawhys.com)
Trivia Why's books
Trivia Why's blog
Trivia Why's Guy

Postby themanwho » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:25 pm

The (Onion) AV Club had a nice feature on the Almanac today:

http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/what_do_the_byrds_and_destinys

It's interesting to see people play the game, trying to come up with the various answers.

-M
themanwho

Postby Muskrat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:11 am

If not a review, then a recommendation of a sort, or at least a sighting. The guy standing next to me in line for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" interviews yesterday had a copy of the Almanac in the canvas bag he was carrying. The guy admitted he's taken the Millionaire test seven times this year, and passed five. When I asked him, as gently as I could, if he thought that he had a real shot of making it past the interview on his fifth try, or whether he just enjoyed the process of test-taking, doing it as a hobby since he live din New York, etc. he replied "I really want to be on the show." He then pointed out the guy who had taken the test 52 times, and I started to feel like Scrooge being visited by the Ghost of Clueless Future. I resolved to limit my hopeless tryouts to one a year, plus I bought a goose for the Cratchits.
Muskrat

Return to Books