Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Just finished Brainiac

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Just finished Brainiac

Postby hd5032 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 am

Very nice, Ken, I really enjoyed it. The radio trivia competition in Stevens Point (?) sounds like a lot of fun.

When you were talking about how nervous you were on your first appearance, about how intimidating the returning champ was, I chuckled to myself thinking about how the future new contestants would feel meeting you on game 25 or 40 or 70. Of course, you covered that later in the book. There's a funny clip on youtube from one of your competitors with the highlights of the episode with his commentary about the game. He was annoyed he wasn't given credit for "United States Geologic Survey" when the correct answer was "United States GeologicAL Survey". Waah.
hd5032

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:20 pm

I think it's been linked here on the message boards before...I can't find it right now though.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Re: Just finished Brainiac

Postby econgator » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:57 pm

hd5032 wrote:Very nice, Ken, I really enjoyed it. The radio trivia competition in Stevens Point (?) sounds like a lot of fun.

When you were talking about how nervous you were on your first appearance, about how intimidating the returning champ was, I chuckled to myself thinking about how the future new contestants would feel meeting you on game 25 or 40 or 70. Of course, you covered that later in the book. There's a funny clip on youtube from one of your competitors with the highlights of the episode with his commentary about the game. He was annoyed he wasn't given credit for "United States Geologic Survey" when the correct answer was "United States GeologicAL Survey". Waah.

Hey, just ask porpoise spit how important a syllable is.
econgator

Postby hd5032 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:01 pm

hd5032

Postby sunbunny » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 am

I just finished the book, enjoyed it and will recommend it to anyone. Just a couple things ... speaking of You Tube, I wish he had included this bit in the book ... it's classic

"This term for a long-handled gardening tool can also mean an immoral pleasure seeker"

What is a hoe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKOm-LLRhA

Also, I read the A.J. Jacobs book and his desire to get on Jeopardy! was thwarted by the fact that he had met Alex in the process of writing his book. I thought that was interesting.
sunbunny

whats a ho

Postby ginginny » Sat May 16, 2009 4:48 am

Oh, man , that was great, I had my first real laugh of the day, thanks!!!!

Ken, I hope you laugh at yourself occasionally, its good for you.

ps-I never knew a rake that was immoral
ginginny

Postby Tresix » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:22 pm

I, too, am a former "Jeopardy!" champ (Dec. 11-13 2002). I've just finished reading "Brainiac" and enjoyed it. Although I don't think it was fair that you competed in that pub trivia with your friends in Boston. It would be like being friends with LeBron James and inviting him to your neighborhood pick-up basketball game! I'm also on NTN Trivia, it's now called Buzztime. I've got about close to 700,000 points now.

In your book, I noticed two mistakes: first, you say that in Chinatown that Evelyn first meets Jake after she comes in from horseback riding. Their first meeting is when she comes to Jake's office and she threatens to sue him for saying that she hired him to spy on her husband ("I don't get tough, Mr. Gittes, my lawyer does.")

The second error is when you say that Aaliyah is a "slain r&b singer". Aaliyah died in a plane crash in the Bahamas due to the plane being overweight. Not exactly murder (unless the definition of "slain" has changed), although I did work with someone who thought that there was a conspiracy after both Aaliyah's death and the accident that killed Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes from TLC. He felt that it was all a plot to make Beyonce the top female r&b singer. :roll:
Tresix

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Yeah, both those have been pointed out in here, though I don't blame you for not wading through that thread. The Chinatown mistake is, if I'm remembering right, faithfully reported from the Stevens Point question.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Return to Books