Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Rules for Question Seven?

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

Rules for Question Seven?

Postby Heidi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 pm

OK, so my apologies if this question has already been answered.

Obviously, no Googling is allowed for questions 1 through 6. But is it okay to research a little when trying to figure out 7? Example: this week, I'm trying to figure out what the songs have in common. Is it okay to go listen to all of them in an effort to figure it out, or does it only count if I'm able to get it *entirely from my own head*? I mean, I know that's kind of the point of doing trivia, but in this case, what's allowable? Thanks.
Heidi

Re: Rules for Question Seven?

Postby Ponch » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:19 am

I was mistaken for the first few months of playing, thinking Google was allowed for #7 (after all they were designed to make Googling the answer pretty impossible, anyway) but Ken did come out about a year ago stating that if you're submitting answers in an attempt to win the prize, ALL 7 questions are to be answered without any outside help
Ken's email (emphasis added) wrote:The seventh and final question every week is a "What do they have in common?" question, designed to be Google-resistant, but also to be solved without any outside help. As I arrange to send out goodies to high scorers, it will be on the basis of these seventh questions only.

So, you have to go from whatever you remember of these songs on your own (whichever ones you recognize by title and year & no artist)
Ponch

Re: Rules for Question Seven?

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 pm

That's correct, no peeking/"research" on any of the seven questions...with the added caveat that this rule is only for people who are submitting answers every week, playing the quiz as if it were an actual competition. If you're just playing along at home, solve them however you want. But the scoreboards become meaningless if everyone can Google every question.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Return to Tuesday Trivia