Ken Jennings

Message Boards

No greater feeling...

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

No greater feeling...

Postby Ponch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 pm

...than when after a week of off-and-on looking at a Q7 that something finally CLICKS and you get the connection. I think that's the sign of a really good Q7/Kennection™ so kudos to Wesley Bourland! Finally got this week's earlier this morning just a few hours before the deadline (which I realize is a little flexible, so we probably shouldn't really discuss the answers until tomorrow's set of questions is sent out)
Ponch

Re: No greater feeling...

Postby skullturfq » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 am

I agree, that was a good one.

Annoyingly, I didn't get it. At one point, I even entertained the thought, "Maybe a series of movies was set in those places" but I was thinking, like, movies by the same director, and I didn't really follow up on or modify that thought as my mind jumped around to other possibilities.

But once I read the answer, it made sense, and it seemed gettable even though one has to think "outside the box". Those are characteristics of a good question.
skullturfq

Postby Ponch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 am

My first train of thought was a race around the world (beginning and ending in Los Angeles) but the path made very little sense. There were a few other dead ends but it was finally Monday morning when I decided to focus on one small part of the question. What do I know about Mumbai? Well it used to be Bombay, but that can't be it (no, Istanbul on the list). Home of Bollywood (connection with Los Angeles-Hollywood and London-Leavesden Studios but I didn't think Baghdad had a large film industry and why would LA be on there twice?). Luckily the third (and probably last) thing I knew about the city was
Spoiler: show
Slumdog Millionaire was set there... As I went city by city, matching up Best Picture winners I couldn't believe my luck.
I thought my 5 for 5 streak of #7's was going to end but there was the answer seemingly out of nowhere!

This week is making me think my 6 for 6 streak is going to end... Here's hoping I have some lucky spark sometime before Monday afternoon again! :roll:
Ponch

Postby baronworm » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:51 am

Ponch wrote:...than when after a week of off-and-on looking at a Q7 that something finally CLICKS and you get the connection. I think that's the sign of a really good Q7/Kennection™ so kudos to Wesley Bourland! Finally got this week's earlier this morning just a few hours before the deadline (which I realize is a little flexible, so we probably shouldn't really discuss the answers until tomorrow's set of questions is sent out)

And along similar lines, I have NEVER gone three in a row until this week - I typically get the first one or two Q7 questions right, then I'm stumped and stop replying.

Undoubtedly this round has started with atypically easy Q7s, and my streak will now end due to self-jinxing. Or maybe, just maybe, I'll get another break and this is the round when Ken will use the Q7 suggestion that I emailed him awhile back. 8)
baronworm

Return to Tuesday Trivia