Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Finally! A Question 7 I actually knew the answer to!

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

Finally! A Question 7 I actually knew the answer to!

Postby sylvar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:57 pm

No spoilers here -- just thrilled to recognize the answer quickly. Next week I'll have to point out my favorite song that wasn't on the list.
sylvar

Postby billiej » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 am

Same here! At least, I think I did - I rarely do.

I wonder if we're thinking of the same song.
billiej

Postby Paucle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

I suggested a song to the TT people that also fits-- provided my answer is correct. :)
Paucle

Postby braggtastic » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 am

I thought I knew the answer to last week's question 7. I'm pretty sure I wrote that all the movies had three different actors playing a single character, but I didn't get credit. I average about 3 #7s per series, so if there was an error I'd like to be credited. Thanks.
braggtastic

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 am

braggtastic wrote:I thought I knew the answer to last week's question 7. I'm pretty sure I wrote that all the movies had three different actors playing a single character, but I didn't get credit. I average about 3 #7s per series, so if there was an error I'd like to be credited. Thanks.

That sounds right to me. Did you shoot an email to the tuesdaytrivia address?
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Regarding your Tuesday Trivia answer for Week 141...it looks like you added "at different stages of his/her life", which was deemed incorrect. You had to get the "three different actors" thing WITHOUT specifying "at different ages".

I'm posting here rather than emailing you, because a lot of people had the same answer and I assume they may be wondering the same thing.
Lilly

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Yeah, that was pretty rough, but a couple of the movies didn't do the age thing, so we couldn't accept that. I figured that Return of the Jedi would be widely enough known that people would realize there was no age angle there.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby braggtastic » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I see. I specifically didn't put ages, but stages because of Darth Vader's third portrayer was just there for his death. But I can understand if that wasn't vague enough.
braggtastic

Postby pal » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I have to go along with Braggastic. Not accepting "stages" of his/her life is tantamount to not accepting "same character".
pal

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 pm

pal wrote:I have to go along with Braggastic. Not accepting "stages" of his/her life is tantamount to not accepting "same character".

I don't see that. In Jedi, all three actors (David Prowse, James Earl Jones, and Sebastian Shaw) play Darth Vader at the same stage of life. (Yeah, the new edit has Hayden Christensen, but even if you go with that, it still leaves two actors from the same "stage," what ever that means). Ditto for the three guys playing the killer in Zodiac.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby skullturfq » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 am

I don't want to beat a topic to death, and I appreciate that in situations like these, the question writer knows what he had in mind, and "the decision of the judges is final" in order to ensure consistency.

But I think what some people might argue is that any moments in a character's life, if they don't happen at exactly the same instant, are necessarily at different stages of the character's life.

It's a bit like the Mitch Hedberg routine where, in response to the sentence "Here's a picture of me when I was younger", he says "EVERY picture of you is from when you were younger."
skullturfq

Return to Tuesday Trivia