Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Bond and the Beatles

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

Bond and the Beatles

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:26 am

Now that I've seen Quantum of Solace, I noticed a flaw with the Tuesday Trivia CXXIV question about the new Bond girl with the Beatles-inspired name. The polydactylicious Gemma Arterton plays a character who calls herself "Fields," and seems resolute not to share her first name with James Bond. So while IMDb does list her name as Strawberry Fields, it's inexplicably left out of the movie, kept as hidden as her 11th and 12th fingers. (I consider this more a fault of the movie's final cut than of Ken's question.)

Incidentally, this is not the first convergence of Bond and the Beatles. Of course, Live and Let Die had a Paul McCartney theme song, and also a George Martin score. Barbara Bach of The Spy Who Loved Me went on to marry Ringo Starr. And you could argue some connection involving George Lazenby's haircut.

Any others?
Neel Mehta

Postby RingoOSU » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 am

RingoOSU

Postby melissa » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:07 am

A friend of mine actually called me from the theatre to say that there was a Strawberry Fields as a Bond girl. I haven't seen it yet, but imbd does have Gemma Arterton listed as such.
melissa

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Her full name is in all the publicity materials as well. I can't remember when I learned that her first name isn't actually included in the movie...it might have been before the quiz went out. In some ways, the question plays even better that way. (Well, there's a "Ms. Fields"...what song could that be?)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Re: Bond and the Beatles

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:The polydactylicious Gemma Arterton

I'm having second thoughts about this adjective. I wonder if she'd be better described as "Rugenesque."

In related news, I've picked up the Roger Moore memoir and will see if he can provide any more Beatle connections.
Neel Mehta

Re: Bond and the Beatles

Postby themanwho » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Incidentally, this is not the first convergence of Bond and the Beatles....

Any others?

I'd tell you another one, but I've got these earmuffs on.

-M
themanwho

Return to Tuesday Trivia