Ken Jennings

Message Boards

This week's Question 7 (the states, in Spanish....)

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

This week's Question 7 (the states, in Spanish....)

Postby Cannon » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:21 am

So I list the states on a legal pad, and I carry it around a few days, and I got nothin....

I show it to a friend who is particularly good with puzzles. He's got nothin.....

"Geographical maybe?" he says?

"Could be.... could be.... but I have no idea what....like a river for a border or location of a capital or something like that?"

"No... that's not it.... "

"Right......."

He says, "Maybe it's election based....."

Me - "Maybe..... but I'll never get that one... "

Two days later, he sends an email...... it reads....

"I have no idea. Maybe it's something like 'French people can't pronounce these state names or they have to put Le in front of each state name for some reason."

I laugh and put Le in front of each state and consider sending in an answer that people in other countries say the names of these states differently because the state names are linguistically challenging....for example... they have to say Le Hawaii.

And while that was clearly not the corret answer..........it was maybe headed down the right path??????

Wouldn't have gotten that in a million years unless I was looking at the same map KJ was looking at..... and even then, my fear of flying would have distracted me greatly.
Cannon

Postby skullturfq » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 am

I did notice the surfeit of two-word state names on the list, but couldn't follow up at all on that thought.
skullturfq

Postby billiej » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 am

Funny (or not), I also flew a lot last week and noticed on the onflight map, "Hey, some of the names are the same in Spanish and some aren't."

Never made the connection...
billiej

Postby melissa » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:01 am

billiej wrote:Funny (or not), I also flew a lot last week and noticed on the onflight map, "Hey, some of the names are the same in Spanish and some aren't."

Never made the connection...

I would SO be hitting my head up against the wall, had this been me!

Did ANYONE get it right??
melissa

Postby BUD » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:05 am

That was a tough question. Thought about it for a week and went with " States that have alternate names".

Should get credit but don't know if Ken will give it to me. :lol: I didn't say "in Spanish" but it is still right I think. 8)

What do you say Ken? Did you see your way to giving credit?

BUD & the Buzztimers
BUD

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:24 am

I just checked: one person got it right! Congrats Joshua Davey. Pretty amazing, when you think about it. That was one tough question.

Incidentally, it didn't work well as a tiebreaker, since Mr Davey wasn't tied for the lead.

(No, we didn't take "alternate names" or similar, though that was about as close as anyone got. Anyone but Joshua Davey, that is.)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby BUD » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:17 am

OK, thanks for letting us know how specific we had to be on that one. Close but no cigar. Congrats to Joshua.

Guess we'll see if we are still tied at 9 correct #7s after this week. Are you going to ask for "future #7 questions" again if still tied?

That was fun last year, or whenever that was, even though you didn't like my submission too much. :?

BUD & the Buzztimers
BUD

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am

Hmm. I'll have to think about what the tiebreaker should be this time. Maybe you can all submit 401(k) statements and whoever has had the biggest chunk of their life savings wiped out this fall gets the free book.

In case anyone was wondering, Spanish-speakers spell these states:
Hawái
Luisiana
Misisipi
Misuri
Nuevo Hampshire
Nueva Jersey
Nuevo México
Nueva York
Carolina del Norte
Carolina del Sur
Dakota del Norte
Dakota del Sur
Pensilvania
Virginia Occidental (awesome!)
and (sort of) Oregón

I've since discovered that some Spanish speakers spell Texas "Tejas," though I don't think that's very official, since I didn't see that in any map or book when I was researching the question.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby TheConfessor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 am

I wonder how it was determined that York and Jersey are Nueva, while Mexico and Hampshire are Nuevo.

I think the Tejas spelling is supposed to be the original Caddo Indian word from which the state's name was taken.
TheConfessor

Postby Mahatma » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:24 am

I was looking at the US government's 'en Espanol' web site, and they list a different spelling for Minnesota (one n). The state of Minnesota's own site doesn't seem to do this, though.

That Oregon one is quite the 'sorta' answer, though. Especially given how many different pronunciations it can have in English.
Mahatma

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 am

TheConfessor wrote:I wonder how it was determined that York and Jersey are Nueva, while Mexico and Hampshire are Nuevo.

Girly blue-state/macho red-state?
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Cannon » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:I wonder how it was determined that York and Jersey are Nueva, while Mexico and Hampshire are Nuevo.

Girly blue-state/macho red-state?

Hijacking my own thread.....

Ken, do you have a gazillion frequent flier miles?
Cannon

Postby WhitePhantom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:55 pm

We have Lenny and Jimmy and me and...Faye.
-Guy Patterson on bass players
WhitePhantom

Postby bwouns » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:19 pm

The two word states were the key for me when I noticed that not only did they consist of two words but that they also included an English word in their name. But why no Rhode Island? I reasoned that the difference was that in the case of 'new', 'north', 'south', and 'west', they were descriptive terms, whereas with Rhode Island, the 'island' is clearly not descriptive because the state is not an island. Its simply part of the state name as a whole, if that makes any sense.

As for the rest, most of them were states controlled by the Spanish at one time so I reasoned they had their own names for these territories independent of their status as states of foreign country. Pennsylvania -- I don't know. Maybe the Spanish language doesn't recognize the concept of 'y' as a vowel?

Surprisingly, given where I live, Oregon wasn't helpful to me at all.
bwouns

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:06 pm

bwouns wrote:Pennsylvania -- I don't know. Maybe the Spanish language doesn't recognize the concept of 'y' as a vowel?

I thought it was odd that the first syllable had only one "n", given that it comes from a person's name.
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby skullturfq » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:24 pm

By the way, the analogous list in Canada would be

British Columbia
New Brunswick
Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia
Newfoundland and Labrador
...and sort of Quebec, because of the accent thing.

It's precisely the provinces with multi-word names. Plus, by coincidence, it's all the coastal provinces. In fact, Quebec is not usually classified as the "east coast", even though it does in fact border the Atlantic Ocean. So how fitting that it's a borderline case!
skullturfq

Postby wkyoung » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Found a map (maybe from Argentina (the copyright)) with this list:
Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Carolina del Norte; Carolina del Sur; Colorado; Conécticut; Dakota del Norte; Dakota del Sur; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawái; Idaho; Ilinois; Indiana; Iowa; Isla de Rode; Kansas; Kentucky; Luisiana; Maine; Máriland; Masachusets; Míchigan; Minesota; Misisipí; Misuri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; Nueva Hampshire; Nueva Yérsey; Nueva York; Nuevo Méjico; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregón; Pensilvania; Tenesí; Tejas; Utah; Vérmont; Virginia; Virginia Occidental; Washington; Wisconsin; Wyoming.

Page at:
http://www.luventicus.org/mapas/estadosunidos.html

Note: Isla de Rode; Nuevo Méjico; Tejas;
wkyoung

Postby skullturfq » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 pm

wkyoung wrote:Found a map (maybe from Argentina (the copyright)) with this list:
Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Carolina del Norte; Carolina del Sur; Colorado; Conécticut; Dakota del Norte; Dakota del Sur; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawái; Idaho; Ilinois; Indiana; Iowa; Isla de Rode; Kansas; Kentucky; Luisiana; Maine; Máriland; Masachusets; Míchigan; Minesota; Misisipí; Misuri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; Nueva Hampshire; Nueva Yérsey; Nueva York; Nuevo Méjico; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregón; Pensilvania; Tenesí; Tejas; Utah; Vérmont; Virginia; Virginia Occidental; Washington; Wisconsin; Wyoming.

Page at:
http://www.luventicus.org/mapas/estadosunidos.html

Note: Isla de Rode; Nuevo Méjico; Tejas;

Only three states in that list start with W. I had a friend whose first language was French who was once stymied in a trivia contest when he had to name the four states that start with W.
skullturfq

Postby econgator » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:32 am

skullturfq wrote:Only three states in that list start with W. I had a friend whose first language was French who was once stymied in a trivia contest when he had to name the four states that start with W.

Hmmm. I wonder why Virginia in French in la Virginie Occidentale, instead of la Virginie a l'ouest.
econgator

Postby RingoOSU » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 am

because Viriginia Occidental is West Virginia.
RingoOSU

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 am

econgator wrote:Hmmm. I wonder why Virginia in French in la Virginie Occidentale, instead of la Virginie a l'ouest.

I don't speak French, but wouldn't the opposite of "occidentale" be something like "orientale" instead? (The non-existence of East Virginia notwithstanding.)
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby skullturfq » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 am

Which reminds me, what do you say if you're from the state of Virginia, but the western part of it? "Western Virginia"?
skullturfq

Postby melissa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

skullturfq wrote:Which reminds me, what do you say if you're from the state of Virginia, but the western part of it? "Western Virginia"?

When I speak about Roanoke, etc, I say Southwestern Virginia.
melissa

Postby econgator » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am

skullturfq wrote:Which reminds me, what do you say if you're from the state of Virginia, but the western part of it? "Western Virginia"?

That would be la Virginie occidentale (lower-case 'o').
econgator

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:39 am

I think it's called "the real Virginia."
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tuesday Trivia