Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Question Seven CDVIII Confusion

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

Question Seven CDVIII Confusion

Postby BillTunell » Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 am

I still don't understand teh Question Seven answer given on May 13. These Presidents were from their place of origin (birth) when they ran for President?

I suppose that all the Presidents born pre-1776 don't qualify by definition. A technicality, but all right.

But I don't understand lots of other things. Was Van Buren not from New York? Was Tyler not from Virginia? Was Nixon not from California? Or do none of the Vice Presidents count by definition because they "lived" (althgouh were not domiciled) in D.C.?

And why is Wilson (born in VA but Governor of NJ when he ran for President) on this list?

Does anyone understand the gist of this question -- and did anyone get it right?
BillTunell

Re: Question Seven CDVIII Confusion

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri May 16, 2014 9:04 am

Looks like you were confused by the Obama counter-example in the explanation. Stick to the first sentence: "These are the only presidents from their respective home state." I don't see another plain reading for that.

Wilson is the only border case, because I think Cleveland, a New Yorker, already had his estate in New Jersey when he ran for his second term as president. So it depends on how much it bothers you that one guy gets two home states. Seems like lists like this usually have Cleveland as a New York resident.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby skullturfq » Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 am

Ken Jennings wrote:Looks like you were confused by the Obama counter-example in the explanation. Stick to the first sentence: "These are the only presidents from their respective home state." I don't see another plain reading for that.

The other possible reading, which may have tripped up some people:

Imagine that "being from your home state" is a characteristic that some presidents have, but not others. "These are the only presidents with characteristic X."

Under this interpretation, it's like we're being told:

--Obama isn't really from his home state
--G.W. Bush isn't really from his home state
--Clinton *is* from his home state
--G.H.W. Bush isn't from his home state
--Reagan isn't from his home state
--Carter *is* from his home state
and so on.

The reason this might have confused people: Clinton was born in Arkansas, as well as residing in Arkansas when he became president. Carter was born in Georgia, as well as residing in Georgia when he became president.

By contrast, Obama was an Illinois resident, but not "from" Illinois in the same way. Reagan was a California resident, but not "from" California in the sense of being born or raised there.

I mean, I eventually figured out what was meant, but I was temporarily slightly confused.
skullturfq

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun May 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Aha. "Each was the only president from his respective home state" would have been clearer.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Return to Tuesday Trivia