Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Tuesday Trivia CDVII - Question 7 answer left out

Complain and commiserate about the weekly quiz.

Re: Tuesday Trivia CDVII - Question 7 answer left out

Postby DaveS » Tue May 06, 2014 7:42 am

I agree with all of the above. The Phillies were never associated with the A's organization, nor am I aware of any successor organization that went by "Quakers." The Athletics were a completely different team.

Most glaringly, however, is the Baltimore Ravens/Cleveland Browns omission. In the absence of those two teams, I ruled out the "correct" answer.

Whoever pointed out that the Chiefs used to play as the "Texans" was also correct.

The New Orleans Hornets will be another one to include on this list -- though technically, I guess, the Charlotte Hornets have not officially taken the floor under that name.
DaveS

Postby Budphrey » Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm

The case of the Cleveland Browns is a de jure/de facto thing. You all have covered de facto. De jure, the NFL has declared that the current Cleveland Browns team — not the Ravens — is the official successor to the one that was, umm, interrupted in the 1990s.

However, as far as I can tell from quick research, the Phillies' name was never formally changed to Blue Jays either -- so if you include the Phillies, that makes the Cleveland Browns more or less equivalent as an example.

Not that this fits the clue exactly, but the St. Louis Cardinals used to be known as the Browns, before the establishment of the American League Browns (now the Orioles). Also on the very tangent of the question, the Cubs were originally the Chicago White Stockings and the Braves and Reds both were originally the Red Stockings.
"I know there are people in the world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I HATE people like that!" -- Tom Lehrer
Budphrey

Postby DaveS » Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am

Ken has a tendency to whiff on sports-themed questions. This reminds me of a single-color sports-logo question seven that he attempted several years ago. I can't complain about 99.9% of the questions he puts out there, though, he does a heck of a job. But I will complain in this .1% instance. :D
DaveS

Return to Tuesday Trivia