Ken Jennings

Message Boards

My Jeopardy Tryout

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

My Jeopardy Tryout

Postby pigpen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:20 am

My Jeopardy Tryout

A few years ago Jeopardy had their first on-line contestant search. If you passed the test on-line, they invited you to meet them at a nearby hotel for further vetting. I took the test and passed then went as directed to an upscale hotel in downtown Orlando.

There were about fifty people there and it seemed that most were there to impress each other, trying to seem like the smartest person in the room. One guy actually had the green courderoy sports jacket with the leather patches on the elbows like a groovy college professor in 1968.

They gave us a written test to weed out all the people who had their brother-in-law take the on-line test for them. This cleaned out about half the room. Then we filled out forms about our personal lives, all of us diligently trying to make ourselves seem very interesting.

Then they called up the first three people to play a mock game of Jeopardy, with a video screen and hand buzzers. Just like in Hollywood! They went through about ten questions, with the staff from Hollywood grading each person on a wide variety of variables as the contestants played against real opponents.

After playing this mini-game, they then asked each person a few questions about themselves, their occupation, etc. The final question they asked every contestant was this, "Ken Jennings was recently on Jeopardy and won over two million dollars. If you won big money like that, what would you do with it?".

The first gentleman responded by saying that he would pay to put all his grandchildren through college.
The next person said that he would help his son to open a business he has dreamt about for years.
The third contestant said she would probably give most of it to her church and the rest to various charities.

As each group went up, played the game and was asked about their plans for the big money, each one seemed to be trying to outdo each other in the charity department. Before I glazed over in diabetic shock, I thought I heard a man say thay he would go to India, dig up Mother Theresa, revive her and then the two of them would fly around the world and solve crimes, or something like that. By now the room was waist deep in hi fructose corn syrup and I was in full cynic mode. H. L. Mencken territory.

So then it came my turn.

I learned an important lesson in life a few years ago. No matter what the situation, NEVER walk away saying, "You know what I should have said?"

So, when they asked me what I would do with the big money I said, "Well, I don't have family like these nice folks, so for me I guess it would be hookers and cocaine."

I haven't heard back from them yet.

True story.
pigpen

Return to Main Forum