Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Fill-in-the-blanks wordplay quickie

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Fill-in-the-blanks wordplay quickie

Postby skullturfq » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:48 am

Recently when reading something about Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, I noticed something that reminded me of a puzzle Ken posted on his blog once.

The letters Q, X, and J are three of the rarest letters in English. There are three proper nouns starting with those letters that will turn the following into a true sentence. Each of those words is six letters long.

"Antonin Scalia grew up in Q_____, and attended X_____ High School, which is a J_____ institution."
skullturfq

Re: Fill-in-the-blanks wordplay quickie

Postby PhygLeGuy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:04 pm

So did Al Roker, and probably thousands of others.

There is approximately one reasonable answer for parts two and three, and once you convince yourself that people from
Spoiler: show
Quebec and Qatar
tend not to get appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, pretty much one choice for the first part.

Now, back to Mr. Magoo's juggling class.
PhygLeGuy

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Got it...

Antonin Scalia grew up in QUEBEC, and attended X-MEN High School, which is a JACKED institution.

Adamantium claws under that robe. I had no idea!
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:12 pm

I started with the J, which made the X much easier. And I live in the Q, so I may have had an advantage.

But this "quickie" makes me think it might be fun for us to come up with some fill-in-the-blanks wordplay where solvers could use the easier clues to deduce the harder ones.

Here's a first attempt. The words can be of any length, but are all proper names in alphabetical order.

__________ __________ was appointed by President __________ to be the __________ of Homeland __________. He also appointed __________ __________ to the __________ Court of the __________ States.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 am

This is tough, but I think I got it. You left out some quotation marks.

ABBEY'S ASSISTANT was appointed by President BARTLET to be the DESCRIBER of "Homeland" EPISODES. He also appointed JOHN McENROE to the TENNIS Court of the UNBALANCED States.

(Congratulations to Janet and Sonia.)

Bill, I think the real challenge is to make a fill-in-the-blanks wordplay that cannot be corrupted by me, or someone similarly evil.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Bill, I think the real challenge is to make a fill-in-the-blanks wordplay that cannot be corrupted by me, or someone similarly evil.

Why would I want to do that?

Again, all words filled in should be in alphabetical order.

On the continent of __________ lies the city of __________, which is the capital of __________. Like most of this county's population, the President, __________ _________, speaks __________. The country's flag consists of a ___________-colored background with an array of __________ that are colored __________. One famous actress from this country is __________ __________.
Bill

Postby bwouns » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 pm

The spaces between the country and the language was the key.

My answer...

Asia
Beijing
China
Hu
Jintao
Mandarin
Red
Stars
Yellow
Zhang
Ziyi
bwouns

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:30 am

That was my answer as well.

Again, all of the missing words are in alphabetical order.

Most people call it the __________ episode, but the official title is The __________. __________ and __________ travel to __________ with __________. ________ needs to stay behind to ask a favor of __________, so __________ takes his place on the trip. They meet __________, a character clearly named for the __________ who inspired the idea to ____________ all of the __________. All in all, it was one of the more innovative episodes of ___________.
Bill

Postby marpocky » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 am

Bill wrote:That was my answer as well.

Again, all of the missing words are in alphabetical order.

Most people call it the __________ episode, but the official title is The __________. __________ and __________ travel to __________ with __________. ________ needs to stay behind to ask a favor of __________, so __________ takes his place on the trip. They meet __________, a character clearly named for the __________ who inspired the idea to ____________ all of the __________. All in all, it was one of the more innovative episodes of ___________.

I don't remember all of them without looking it up, but:

backwards
?
Elaine
George
India
Jerry
Kramer
Newman?
Puddy?
?
?
reverse
scenes
Seinfeld
marpocky

Postby Bill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 am

Yes!

My answer:
Most people call it the backwards episode, but the official title is The Betrayal. Elaine and George travel to India with Jerry. Kramer needs to stay behind to ask a favor of Newman, so Nina takes his place on the trip. They meet Pinter, a character clearly named for the playwright who inspired the idea to reverse all of the scenes. All in all, it was one of the more innovative episodes of Seinfeld.

Let's try one more. Again, all of the missing words are in alphabetical order.

If you want to __________ a __________ for __________, gather a few __________ and some __________ as well as other __________ (including __________ ones such as __________). __________ them together, while you make sure the __________ is being __________. Once you __________ it in, you can sometimes make the process go more __________ by __________ the temperature __________. Once it is __________ to __________, you can __________ it into __________-shaped __________. __________!
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:56 am

A quickie that's somewhat in the spirit of this thread:

What's probably the most famous instance of an actor starting with Q playing a character starting with Z?
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 am

skullturfq wrote:A quickie that's somewhat in the spirit of this thread:

What's probably the most famous instance of an actor starting with Q playing a character starting with Z?

I don't know if it's the most famous, but it was the first thing to pop into my head:
Anthony Quinn playing Zorba the Greek
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 am

That's what I was thinking of, too.

EDIT: I never officially answered the first puzzle in this thread (although it probably wasn't very difficult). The six-letter proper nouns starting with Q, X, and J were
QUEENS, XAVIER, and JESUIT.
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 am

Bill wrote:Let's try one more. Again, all of the missing words are in alphabetical order.

If you want to __________ a __________ for __________, gather a few __________ and some __________ as well as other __________ (including __________ ones such as __________). __________ them together, while you make sure the __________ is being __________. Once you __________ it in, you can sometimes make the process go more __________ by __________ the temperature __________. Once it is __________ to __________, you can __________ it into __________-shaped __________. __________!

Here's a hint:

The median blank can be filled with the word "preheated."
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Bill wrote:If you want to __________ a __________ for __________, gather a few __________ and some __________ as well as other __________ (including __________ ones such as __________). __________ them together, while you make sure the __________ is being __________. Once you __________ it in, you can sometimes make the process go more __________ by __________ the temperature __________. Once it is __________ to __________, you can __________ it into __________-shaped __________. __________!

Some guesses, including some blanks and some stabs in the dark:

bake
cake
Christmas?
eggs
flour
ingredients
??
??
Mix
oven
preheated
put
quickly
raising
rapidly? (not so sure here, but if I'm right, it has to be between "raising" and "ready")
ready
serve
slice
??
??
Yummy!

EDITED TO ADD: For my first two blank ones in the above spoiler, maybe
"liquid" and "milk"??

EDITED TO ADD AGAIN: And maybe for my remaining blank ones,
"triangle" and "wedges"?
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Nicely done!

For the record, here are my intended answers (though nothing wrong with yours):

If you want to bake a cake for dessert, gather a few eggs and some flour as well as other ingredients (including liquid ones such as milk). Mix them together, while you make sure the oven is being preheated. Once you put it in, you can sometimes make the process go more quickly by raising the temperature reading. Once it is ready to serve, you can slice it into triangle-shaped wedges. Yum!
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Alphabetical BSing can definitely entertain. Fun, guys! Here, I'll just keep listing my next offbeat, peculiar quips. Ready? Sometimes, the ultimate vexing word eXits your poZession.
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Was it only 52 weeks __________ that we celebrated the arrival of 2013? A lot has happened since then. __________ __________ was __________ from the same network as Mr. __________ later would __________. The __________ story of the past 365 days might be that terrible __________ in __________. The pseudonym __________ ____________ proved __________ for an already __________ politician. At the movies, the latest __________ & __________ film did very well, though it did not __________ as much __________ as the latest __________ __________ film. In music, the artist born __________ __________ released a second LP with that name. Internationally, __________ __________ was removed from power, while domestically, we fought __________ over __________, the __________ signature __________. The __________ __________ it fiercely, and the __________ itself certainly had some __________ spots. In fact, the worst __________ of 2013 may have been the __________ it triggered, __________ the __________ where Mr. __________ __________ out about the government's __________ program could __________ public opinion both ways. In sports, we once again saw that nobody could __________ from the __________ like __________ __________. All in all, it was a very eventful __________.
Bill

Postby bwouns » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm

I'll start the ball rolling on Bill's puzzle. Perhaps others can fill in the rest of the blanks:

Ago
Alec
Baldwin
Banished
Bashir
Be
Biggest
???
???
Carlos
Danger
Disastrous
Disgraced
???
???
Earn
???
???
???
???
???
Mohammed
Morsi
???
Obamacare
President's
???
Repubicans
???
???
???
Scandals
Shutdown
???
???
Snowden
Spoke
Surveillance (or spying)
Sway
???
???
Tiger
Woods
Year
bwouns

Postby gwynn1984 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 am

Ago
Alec
Baldwin
Banished
Bashir
Be
Biggest
???
???
Carlos
Danger
Disastrous
Disgraced
???
???
Earn
???
???
???
???
???
Mohammed
Morsi
???
Obamacare
President's
???
Repubicans
???
???
???
Scandals
Shutdown
???
???
Snowden
Spoke
Surveillance (or spying)
Sway
???
???
Tiger
Woods
Year

Building on bwouns...

Ago
Alec
Baldwin
Banished
Bashir
Be
Biggest
???
???
Carlos
Danger
Disastrous
Disgraced
FAST
FURIOUS
Earn - I think either this or the next one is GROSS
???
IRON
MAN
MARSHALL
MATHERS
Mohammed
Morsi
???
Obamacare
President's
???
Repubicans
???
???
???
Scandals
Shutdown
???
???
Snowden
Spoke
Surveillance (or spying)
Sway
SWING
TEE
Tiger
Woods
Year
gwynn1984

Postby A Wray » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Building on the previous two...

Ago
Alec
Baldwin
Banished
Bashir
Be
Biggest
Bombings
Boston

Carlos
Danger
Disastrous
Disgraced
FAST
FURIOUS
Earn - I think either this or the next one is GROSS
???
IRON
MAN
MARSHALL
MATHERS
Mohammed
Morsi
???
Obamacare
President's
Program
Republicans
Resisted
Rollout
Rough

Scandals
Shutdown
???
???
Snowden
Spoke
Surveillance (or spying)
Sway
SWING
TEE
Tiger
Woods
Year
A Wray

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:20 pm

The verb and non-proper noun in the movie sentence could be a lot of things. I can't think of a best pair.

Verb: GAIN, GARNER, GATHER
Noun: GREEN, GROSS, HYPE
Neel Mehta

Postby A Wray » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:11 pm

The word after "domestically, we fought" is probably

nonstop.
A Wray

Postby Bill » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Nice work, all! I always like to see a good team effort.

Here are my intended answers, though some of your alternate answers might be even better:

Was it only 52 weeks ago that we celebrated the arrival of 2013? A lot has happened since then. Alec Baldwin was banned from the same network as Mr. Bashir later would be. The biggest story of the past 365 days might be that terrible bombing in Boston. The pseudonym Carlos Danger proved embarrassing for an already embattled politician. At the movies, the latest Fast & Furious film did very well, though it did not gross as much income as the latest Iron Man film. In music, the artist born Marshall Mathers released a second LP with that name. Internationally, Mohammed Morsi was removed from power, while domestically, we fought mostly over Obamacare, the president's signature program. The Republicans resisted it fiercely, and the rollout itself certainly had some rough spots. In fact, the worst scandal of 2013 may have been the shutdown it triggered, since the situation where Mr. Snowden spoke out about the government's surveillance program could sway public opinion both ways. In sports, we once again saw that nobody could swing from the tee like Tiger Woods. All in all, it was a very eventful year.

Notes:

One of the hit singles from the Marshall Mathers LP 2 was "The Monster," but mentioning that would have interfered with Mohammed Morsi, who I wanted in.

I had to choose between John Kerry and Iron Man. I chose Iron Man.

If I had gone with bwouns's disastrous/disgraced combo instead of embarrassed/embattled, I could have added another sentence between that one and the movies:

__________ __________ made headlines when its __________ family member __________ many by __________ his views, which some felt went too __________.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Bill wrote:__________ __________ made headlines when its __________ family member __________ many by __________ his views, which some felt went too __________.

I'm not sure about the third blank.
DUCK
DYNASTY
ECUMENICAL?
ENRAGED
EXPRESSING
EXTREME
Neel Mehta

Next

Return to Main Forum