Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Spermologer

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Spermologer

Postby David Regal » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:25 pm

In addition to seeds, a number of trivia websites claim that a spermologer collects trivia. I have seen no official source to confirm this definition, though, so guess it should be regarded as false. Can someone shed more light on this?
David Regal

Re: Spermologer

Postby TheConfessor » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 am

David Regal wrote:In addition to seeds, a number of trivia websites claim that a spermologer collects trivia. I have seen no official source to confirm this definition, though, so guess it should be regarded as false. Can someone shed more light on this?

That very question was asked at my pub quiz tonight. I haven't attempted to research it, but at the pub quiz, the question was prefaced with "According to Trivial Pursuit..." So you know it must be true!
TheConfessor

Postby econgator » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:56 am

David Regal wrote:In addition to seeds, a number of trivia websites claim that a spermologer collects trivia. I have seen no official source to confirm this definition, though, so guess it should be regarded as false. Can someone shed more light on this?

This definition seems to come from ... wait for it ... Playboy (June 1991, p. 21 -- see, I *do* actually read the articles ;) ). It is defined there as, "a collector of trivia or unusual data."
econgator

Postby Noveltoons » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:24 am

If true (and who can argue with Playboy?), Ken should hand out business cards that say "Spermologer" on them.
Sue
Noveltoons

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:03 am

I tried to track this down for Brainiac, and I could never prove the word was legit. I wonder where Playboy got it. It does sound like the kind of thing that was made up at one time for the foreword to someone's trivia book.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby econgator » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 am

Ken Jennings wrote:I tried to track this down for Brainiac, and I could never prove the word was legit. I wonder where Playboy got it. It does sound like the kind of thing that was made up at one time for the foreword to someone's trivia book.

Of that, I am not sure. I have that issue (I have a huge collection) and looked at it. It's in the Playboy After Hours section, under the heading Definition of the Month. There's no other citation or mention as to whether they found the word elsewhere or just made it up.
econgator

Postby rkd » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:17 pm

Etymologically, it seems like the word would refer to someone who collects or studies seeds. Maybe that definition was extended at some point to refer to a collector of odds and ends, or in this case, wayward "seeds" of trivia. A "spermologer of facts" could be a metaphorical description of a trivia enthusiast, and maybe the "of facts" part got dropped at some point.

But I'm just guessing.

--Raj Dhuwalia
rkd

Re:

Postby rockgolf » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Noveltoons wrote:If true (and who can argue with Playboy?), Ken should hand out business cards that say "Spermologer" on them.

"Uhh, that's okay Ken. You can keep the card."
rockgolf

Re: Re:

Postby econgator » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 pm

rockgolf wrote:
Noveltoons wrote:If true (and who can argue with Playboy?), Ken should hand out business cards that say "Spermologer" on them.

"Uhh, that's okay Ken. You can keep the card."

You realize you just replied to an 8-year-old post?
econgator

Postby rockgolf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:53 am

Gotta work on my timing.
rockgolf

Return to Main Forum