Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Way to not represent humanity, Ken! :-)

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Way to not represent humanity, Ken! :-)

Postby whrimfunis » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey all,

So as a former KJL who previously was discussed on the blog here, I had mixed feelings about last week's matchup with Watson. On the one hand, as a fellow flesh-based life form, I kinda wanted to see Ken win one for humanity. On the other hand, I admit I was hoping to see Ken looking the way I felt during my destruction (relatively early in his run - game #15).

As it turned out, I was a little sad to see that the machines evidently have mastered the game - and a bit nonplussed. Not to take anything away from the folks at IBM, but it seems to me that Google could probably do nearly as well with the key words from most of the clues. And of course, as all KJLs know well, a big part of the game is mastering the buzzer, and the machine seemed to have a prohibitive advantage there. It was rather funny to see Ken making the frustrated "I'm trying to buzz in" face that all of us made so often in 2004, but simple reflexes are one area where we've always known machines were superior to people.

Anyway, I've lurked here from time to time in recent years and just mostly wanted to say hello. Ken, hope all is well with you and the family. I've always said that if I couldn't be the one to win a gazillion dollars for being a pedantic geek, you were a pretty decent second choice. :D

Talk to you soon,

Rick, KJL, Game #15
whrimfunis

Return to Main Forum