Ken Jennings

Message Boards

The Last Of Sheila

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

The Last Of Sheila

Postby jzerocsk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 am

Never heard of this, but I have a love-hate relationship with The Sondheim, so I will totally check it out in the hopes that it falls on the "Sunday In The Park With George" side of our relationship and not the "Into The Woods" side.

Mostly I wanted to post here to let everyone know that it's available via Netflix streaming/instant watch.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_L ... height1531
jzerocsk

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks! Meant to check for it there and forgot.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Re: The Last Of Sheila

Postby naurae29 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:49 pm

jzerocsk wrote:Never heard of this, but I have a love-hate relationship with The Sondheim, so I will totally check it out in the hopes that it falls on the "Sunday In The Park With George" side of our relationship and not the "Into The Woods" side.

wha-...? why...? how is this possible!

("isn't it nice to know a lot? and a little bit... not.")
naurae29

Postby jzerocsk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:37 am

naurae29 wrote:
jzerocsk wrote:Never heard of this, but I have a love-hate relationship with The Sondheim, so I will totally check it out in the hopes that it falls on the "Sunday In The Park With George" side of our relationship and not the "Into The Woods" side.

wha-...? why...? how is this possible!

("isn't it nice to know a lot? and a little bit... not.")

It's way too long. It's also terribily monotonous even for "late 20th century" Sondheim. Now I may have blacked out at certain points during the show from boredom and despair, but I am pretty sure among the 12+ times I've endured it I've heard the whole score. Aside from bits with interlacing but largely discrete musical lines for each voice (which is probably 80% of it), I am fairly certain that there is literally one line in the entire score where two singers sing in harmony - in "No More" when the baker and the mysterious man sing the phrase "Like father, like son." The rest of it is either unison or that mind-numbing Sondheim "conversation music" which is fine in small doses, but not in 2-hour swaths. There are some memorable and funny moments but the music is mostly forgettable and the amusement of the fractured fairy tale concept wears off quickly, and then all you can do is hope that they keep the pace up so that you'll at least be out of the theatre before last call.

And in a twist of fate that seems somehow appropriate when discussing Sondheim, Into The Woods seems to be the most accessible one in the catalog for both the viewer and the producer, and thus it seems like someone somewhere is always running it, which means I know people who are in it and should support them and also that everyone else will want to see it anyway. Thus I have somehow seen this, my least favorite musical of all that I have seen, way more than any other show.
jzerocsk

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:08 am

It would be a more interesting world if every high school contemplating doing Into the Woods next year did Assassins instead.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby naurae29 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:02 am

jzerocsk wrote:And in a twist of fate that seems somehow appropriate when discussing Sondheim, Into The Woods seems to be the most accessible one in the catalog for both the viewer and the producer, and thus it seems like someone somewhere is always running it, which means I know people who are in it and should support them and also that everyone else will want to see it anyway. Thus I have somehow seen this, my least favorite musical of all that I have seen, way more than any other show.

i've only seen it on-stage once, as well as having been exposed to the bernadette peters version as a child, so - in addition to the fact that i just like it (both the music and the deconstruction of fairy tales) and you don't - our positions may be informed by how often you've seen it and how rarely i have. do you think it would be your least favourite if you'd only seen it once or twice?
naurae29

Postby jzerocsk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:42 am

naurae29 wrote:do you think it would be your least favourite if you'd only seen it once or twice?

It may not have become my superlative least favorite, but I definitely was not at all enamored with it even the first time I saw it. I can't even blame it on a bad cast; it was done by a pretty well-respected regional AEA house! Plus, I know many people who've seen it (or been in it) a number of times and it seems like everyone else just loves it.

Ken Jennings wrote:It would be a more interesting world if every high school contemplating doing Into the Woods next year did Assassins instead.

Some of the adaptations to make it "youth friendly" would range from frightening to genius! I will say one thing....knowing the words to the Assassins music helped me a lot more in AP US history than knowing Into The Woods ever did!
jzerocsk

Postby Patrick Murtha » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:It would be a more interesting world if every high school contemplating doing Into the Woods next year did Assassins instead.

I think that a good high school cast could kill with Assassins (and I say that as an experienced teacher). However, I would not want to be the teacher-advisor pilloried by parents for selecting it.

I have used Assassins with great success in my history classes, since that is a lower-profile use.
Patrick Murtha

Postby marpocky » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Patrick Murtha wrote:kill with Assassins

:wink:
marpocky

Postby jzerocsk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:24 am

I am going to see Into The Woods...again...tonight. It's running at another area theater in April, so I am in danger of seeing it a second time in the span of a month.
jzerocsk

Postby Dobie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 am

You know The Last of Sheila is on TCM tonight (Thursday, March 31) at 10:30, right?
Dobie

Postby Paucle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 pm

so glad I checked the boards just now, Dobie, thanks! DVR is prepped!
Paucle

Postby jzerocsk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:28 am

I hope Sheila was better than Into The Woods was....a good cast, but there's just no fixing the material.

In an effort to stay awake, I decided to actually test my theory that there is only one line of harmony in the whole score.

I was mistaken. There are actually 6 bits of harmony, almost always just a single line or even a single word. The exception is a really awesome harmony in the last reprise of Children Will Listen in the finale medley that lasts maybe 30 seconds. It's actually a real glimmer of greatness that evokes memories of "Sunday" from Sunday In The Park...but vanishes back to monotone before anything really amazing happens. I'm not sure how I never noticed it before....I was always probably gathering my belongings to make a fast exit.
jzerocsk

Postby Dobie » Wed May 20, 2015 11:55 am

The movie is available to watch on Watch TCM until May 22.
Dobie

Return to Main Forum