Ken Jennings

Message Boards

The The

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby Sequin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:23 am

One of my favourite bands can't seem to decide - their first album was called "The Electric Light Orchestra", and "The" was included on the cover of several subsequent album releases, but as far as I know they were never referred to as "The ELO" at any point.
================================================
I'm an optoholic - my glass is always half full of Vodka!
================================================
Sequin

Postby rockgolf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 am

braggtastic wrote:It really bothered me when I first uploaded my CDs to itunes that they alphabetized bands starting with The under T, but I see on my ipod that's not the case. When I get home, I'll have to check and see if subsequent updates to itunes fixed that issue.

It has been. But it still doesn't recognize them as duplicated tracks.
rockgolf

Re: The The

Postby grodney » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 am

Article on band names including or not including "The" in their names:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... _page=true
grodney

Postby Momma Snider » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 am

I didn't know Eagles didn't have a "the." They are among my favorites. I always kind of thought, with a lot of these, that some people tend to say "the" when it's not needed, such as "The Walmart." But I've always used "The Beatles," with capital T, because I'm sure that's how Ed Sullivan said it back in 1964.
Momma Snider

Postby Theone36952s » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Momma Snider wrote:...I always kind of thought, with a lot of these, that some people tend to say "the" when it's not needed, such as "The Walmart."

Except in the case of The Ohio State University, where the "the" is part of the official name (and people tend to get viscerally angry if the definite article is left out).
Theone36952s

Postby Momma Snider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 am

I did not know that! Or maybe I did, but I'd forgotten. Good information, anyway, since I have a dear friend who claims that as her alma mater. Although she's even older than I am, so maybe she's forgotten, too.
Momma Snider

Previous

Return to Main Forum