Ken Jennings

Message Boards

"Hey, look, kids. There’s Big Ben, and there’s Parliame

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

"Hey, look, kids. There’s Big Ben, and there’s Parliame

Postby colboy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 am

Hi Ken. Just wanted to be ever so pedantic. That's not actually Big Ben featured in the photo next to the Parliament buildings. Big Ben is actually the bell inside the tower and not the tower itself. Picky I know, but you never know when you might need this in a quiz :-)

Colin
colboy

Postby Russ » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:30 am

Somebody should have told Clark Griswold that before he took the family to London.
Russ

Tour-guide Trivia...

Postby davebug » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:20 am

Just yesterday, I was checking out the Juneau page on Wikipedia (with obviously no memory of what took me there) and noticed this bit of trivia:

A large bronze statue featuring pelicans, intended for delivery to the State of Florida, stands in front of the Federal Building in Juneau. Pelicans are not indigenous to the State of Alaska; the proper artwork (an eagle) was delivered to Florida by mistake.

Now...that seemed really odd to me, so I did a little more Googling, and found several other people mentioning it. Only, none of them seemed to have any more authoritative source than it's what the local tour guide mentioned, and at least one of them swapped in Hawaii for Florida. I'm wondering if that segment of the tour was just bare enough of any actual facts, that it became necessary to invent some.

I wonder how much vacation-learned "trivia" people know is similarly invented.
davebug

My London vacation

Postby slam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am

Having just returned from my London vacation with my wife and two sons (7 and almost 11), Ken's words rung oh so true. How tall is the London Eye? Let's count those poets buried in Westminster. Oh, yes, that is the Kohinoor diamond that was mentioned in Final Jeopardy! a few weeks ago.

Hence comes a truly bizarre trivia question that I noticed while in London last week. Charles I is buried in Westminster Abbey (George III is the first monarch buried in Windsor Castle where they generally are buried now). Charles's grave is somewhere underground but there's a stone engraving with his name and a year above it. What year is engraved there?
slam

Re: "Hey, look, kids. There’s Big Ben, and there’s Parl

Postby Robert K S » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:39 am

colboy wrote:That's not actually Big Ben featured in the photo next to the Parliament buildings. Big Ben is actually the bell inside the tower and not the tower itself.

I remember this one, I think, from a book I loved as a kid--The Dictionary of Misinformation. I also remember that the bell was named for Sir Benjamin Hall, the Commissionar of Works when it was installed.
Robert K S

Re: My London vacation

Postby rkd » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:03 pm

slam wrote:Having just returned from my London vacation with my wife and two sons (7 and almost 11), Ken's words rung oh so true. How tall is the London Eye? Let's count those poets buried in Westminster. Oh, yes, that is the Kohinoor diamond that was mentioned in Final Jeopardy! a few weeks ago.

Hence comes a truly bizarre trivia question that I noticed while in London last week. Charles I is buried in Westminster Abbey (George III is the first monarch buried in Windsor Castle where they generally are buried now). Charles's grave is somewhere underground but there's a stone engraving with his name and a year above it. What year is engraved there?

Hmm -- a logical answer would be 1649, when he was beheaded, or maybe sometime early in the 1640s ('42?) when the war broke out ... or maybe 1660, the year of the restoration. But I'm guessing it's probably none of those if you're asking ... is it?
rkd

Postby jaclyn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:18 pm

slam wrote:Hence comes a truly bizarre trivia question that I noticed while in London last week. Charles I is buried in Westminster Abbey (George III is the first monarch buried in Windsor Castle where they generally are buried now). Charles's grave is somewhere underground but there's a stone engraving with his name and a year above it. What year is engraved there?

I will admit to Googling this. I wasn't going to spoil it here, except that (according to multiple sites, including the official Westminster Abbey one) Charles I wasn't buried at Westminster Abbey. That kind of changes the question, but into what I don't know. ??

I don't recall that particular monument. I spent a lot of time in Poet's Corner, until the husband dragged me out. My knowledge of British monarchs is woefully inadequate, but I do love British literature!
jaclyn

Postby slam » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:43 am

jaclyn wrote:
slam wrote:Hence comes a truly bizarre trivia question that I noticed while in London last week. Charles I is buried in Westminster Abbey (George III is the first monarch buried in Windsor Castle where they generally are buried now). Charles's grave is somewhere underground but there's a stone engraving with his name and a year above it. What year is engraved there?

I will admit to Googling this. I wasn't going to spoil it here, except that (according to multiple sites, including the official Westminster Abbey one) Charles I wasn't buried at Westminster Abbey. That kind of changes the question, but into what I don't know. ??

I don't recall that particular monument. I spent a lot of time in Poet's Corner, until the husband dragged me out. My knowledge of British monarchs is woefully inadequate, but I do love British literature!

Mea Culpa. It's Windsor Castle. I saw too many graves within churches while there last week. There is definitely a big stone slab with his name and a year on it. The guide told me he was buried somewhere below ground.
slam

Return to Main Forum