Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Diez DVDs más que nunca han estado en mi cocina

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Diez DVDs más que nunca han estado en mi cocina

Postby markemorse » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:34 am

Well peep on this: I (not living in the US) just yesterday bought Last Year in Marienbad (the Studio Canal/PAL/region 2 version) from my friendly neighborhood exotic DVD vendor. I bought it mostly for the visuals, because they're completely gorgeous and (as you said) hypnotic to beat the band (my embellishment).

To my woe and chagrin, you cannot turn the English subtitles off. And they're huge, I mean excessive. Moan. I briefly thought about ripping it to my hard drive and editing out all of the dialogue (and thus the subtitles), and then I imagined the look on my wife's face when I told her what I'd been doing for the past two days. She may be right.

Nonetheless, I wanted to give you a warning before you broke down and bought a fancy all-region, all-format DVD player specifically for the purpose of hypnotizing yourself with this film...the dream will have to be deferred.
markemorse

Postby markemorse » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:10 am

In other news, I've discovered that there is a much more expensive version released by Wellspring in which it is possible to turn off the subtitles. Color me torn. Do I buy another copy and feel even stupider, or just be happy with the moderate amount of stupid I feel right now...
markemorse

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:07 am

I thought the Wellspring Marienbad was out of print. Maybe that's what you mean by "much more expensive."
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby markemorse » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Yeah...but when I wrote that last post, I was thinking I could find one for under 50...I didn't really know how "much more expensive" i was talking about. The Studio Canal disc is fine (and cheap), with a couple of nice extras...I was just really looking forward to unblemished labyrinths.
markemorse

Re: Diez DVDs más que nunca han estado en mi cocina

Postby ikillkenny » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:26 am

markemorse wrote:Nonetheless, I wanted to give you a warning before you broke down and bought a fancy all-region, all-format DVD player specifically for the purpose of hypnotizing yourself with this film...the dream will have to be deferred.

FYI, most DVD drives can legally change their regions at least twice. I believe you can do this by going through the properties section of your DVD drive. So, if you wanted to devote your computer to watching non-Region 1 DVDs you could do this without even having to download (marginally) illegal software.
ikillkenny

Re: Diez DVDs más que nunca han estado en mi cocina

Postby tanjak » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:32 am

ikillkenny wrote:FYI, most DVD drives can legally change their regions at least twice. I believe you can do this by going through the properties section of your DVD drive. So, if you wanted to devote your computer to watching non-Region 1 DVDs you could do this without even having to download (marginally) illegal software.

You can change your region on most North American DVD players. But you can't change your format.

North American DVDs are in NTSC format. North American TVs pick up a signal broadcast, or fed through coaxal cables, in NTSC format.

The DVD in the OP is in PAL format, the one favored (for good reason) in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and a good chunk of the rest of the world.

You need a multi-format DVD player to play a PAL format DVD on an NTSC Television. These DVD players will convert the PAL format on the DVD to an NTSC signal that a North American TV can show. Without that kind of signal conversion, it doesn't matter if your DVD player has been hacked to be multi-region. Your NTSC TV can't pick up a PAL signal.
tanjak

Postby markemorse » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:49 am

Right on. What's amazing (to me, at least) is that I bought one of these PAL/NTSC all-region DVD players at my local (wonderful) video store for 69 euro a couple of years ago, and although you can tell it's definitely a cheap piece of doo (2-page instruction manual in 7 badly-translated languages; if you lose the remote you can't use any special features on any DVD, etc.)...it plays anything.

As a laptop solution, I use DVD Region+CSS Free, which also allows me to play anything...but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's (marginally) illegal.
markemorse

Return to Main Forum