Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Fill-in-the-Palindromes

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Bill wrote:27. If Affleck remakes Lawrence of Arabia, I could see
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ _ .


I thought this would be one of the easier ones, but maybe only when compared to the first draft, which I decided was too complex to clue. But why not...

27a. Ben Affleck wants to trick his friend Matt into starring in his new movie about the tribes that wander across Arunachal Pradesh. But it might not be so easy for him to

_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .


Bill wrote:30. Our physics department prides itself on employing actual working practitioners. Of the professors who teach courses with the prefix
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .


Okay, maybe "physics department" is a bit of an overstatement. It's really just a few professors who teach physics within our larger department, and most of them are adjuncts because they work full-time as engineers for Boeing.
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:27. If Affleck remakes Lawrence of Arabia, I could see
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ _ .


I thought this would be one of the easier ones...


I was able to solve it:

Spoiler: show
DAMON AS A NOMAD.


I did not know #28 -- thanks to grodney for solving it AND creating #29 -- and I am currently at a loss for #27a and #30.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:I am currently at a loss for #27a and #30.


Well, 27a is an outtake. I haven't been able to find evidence that the Tani are actually nomadic.

As for 30, I can tell you that our professors don't just study the motion of air, but a lot of them also apply their knowledge in actual practice.
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 am

31. For all of his shortcomings, Rumpelstiltskin was quite skilled in the
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

32. Sometimes, the tiniest bugs can be killed by stress alone. For my next picnic, I'm looking for some technique that
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ .

33. Theodor Geisel has long wanted to take military students to court for illegally downloading his lyrical poems, but his case was never quite ready for litigation. Now that the details are all
_ _ _ , /_ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
Last edited by Bill on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm

34. According to the latest whip count, Pelosi is voting
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _
Aye.

35. I hate how these web searches generate so much nonsense that I have to spend time dividing my results up into groups before they can be useful. Pardon my language, but I'm getting really sick of having to
_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

36. Hey, buddy, you think the Allied Forces won World War II because Germany, Italy, Japan, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania were all at the top of their game? I'm afraid it's not that simple, my friend. That victory required a serious
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ !
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:I'll let this thread wind down over the weekend and post something new Monday.


Yeah.

37. I'm really enjoying browsing that website that lists all of the storytelling techniques used in TV and film. At some point, I might even file my own
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .

38. I find it too distracting to shoot goals effectively against that attractive soccer celebrity. It's just that I can't help but notice, while approaching the
_ _ _ , / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ .

39. Before she became successful as an actress, the future star of Sisters, Once and Again, and CSI:NY worked as a bartender. That's right,
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby jbenz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 am

Bill wrote:37. I'm really enjoying browsing that website that lists all of the storytelling techniques used in TV and film. At some point, I might even file my own
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
TROPE REPORT
(love it)


Bill wrote:39. Before she became successful as an actress, the future star of Sisters, Once and Again, and CSI:NY worked as a bartender. That's right,
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
SELA WARD DID DRAW ALES ?
jbenz
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 am

Bill wrote:27a. Ben Affleck wants to trick his friend Matt into starring in his new movie about the tribes that wander across Arunachal Pradesh. But it might not be so easy for him to

_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
TRAP DAMON IN A TANI NOMAD PART.


Bill wrote:31. For all of his shortcomings, Rumpelstiltskin was quite skilled in the
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
STRAW ARTS.


Bill wrote:33. Theodor Geisel has long wanted to take military students to court for illegally downloading his lyrical poems, but his case was never quite ready for litigation. Now that the details are all
_ _ _ , /_ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ .


The last word should be seven letters, right?

Spoiler: show
SET, A RIPE DOCTOR SEUSS SUES ROTC ODE PIRATES.


Bill wrote:34. According to the latest whip count, Pelosi is voting
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _
Aye.


Spoiler: show
NAY, RYAN


Bill wrote:35. I hate how these web searches generate so much nonsense that I have to spend time dividing my results up into groups before they can be useful. Pardon my language, but I'm getting really sick of having to
_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
PARCEL GOOGLE CRAP.


Bill wrote:36. Hey, buddy, you think the Allied Forces won World War II because Germany, Italy, Japan, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania were all at the top of their game? I'm afraid it's not that simple, my friend. That victory required a serious
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ !


Spoiler: show
LAPSE OF SIX AXIS FOES, PAL!


Bill wrote:38. I find it too distracting to shoot goals effectively against that attractive soccer celebrity. It's just that I can't help but notice, while approaching the
_ _ _ , / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ .


That couple belongs in the Keith Urban Wordplay Hall of Fame.

Spoiler: show
NET, AS I AIM, MIA IS A TEN.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 pm

All answers are correct.

Also, I fixed my error. (Thanks, Neel.) I also went back and double checked to make sure I had four letters for the annoying picnic insect, and twelve letters for the study of the motion of air.

I've been binge-watching that Star Trek spin-off, which is why it found its way into my earlier palindrome. And now here's three more, none of them involving a shape-shifting constable.

40. I am particularly enjoying the series power couple, and how the smile on Dax contrasts with the
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

41. I did notice that on The Next Generation, the Enterprise had to limit its warp factor to reduce subspace emissions. But I haven't seen
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .

42. Jonathan Frakes did a cameo on one episode, and had great chemistry with Nana Visitor. It left me wondering. Despite the conditions they
_ _ _ / _ _ , / _ _ _ / " _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ " / _ _ / _ _ _ _ ?

(That hyphen should probably be a slash, but I didn't know how to distinguish it from the word break slashes.)
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Bill wrote:30. Our physics department prides itself on employing actual working practitioners. Of the professors who teach courses with the prefix
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .


I spent too long on the prefix and not the 12-letter word.

Spoiler: show
SCI, MANY DO REAL AERODYNAMICS.


Bill wrote:32. Sometimes, the tiniest bugs can be killed by stress alone. For my next picnic, I'm looking for some technique that
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ .


I don't know this one. The following is wrong, but it's as close as I got.

Spoiler: show
PUSH TOM_ MOTHS UP.


Solved #40-42, but I'll give it a full day if anyone else wants to take a crack at them.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:35 am

32a. Oh, those pesky little flying bugs! Filling them with a painfully deep sense of existential dread didn't work. I just want to put them all on a rocket ship and send them into space. I'll even pack them some
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
in case they get thirsty!
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby grodney » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:28 am

Bill wrote:I've been binge-watching that Star Trek spin-off, which is why it found its way into my earlier palindrome. And now here's three more, none of them involving a shape-shifting constable.

40. I am particularly enjoying the series power couple, and how the smile on Dax contrasts with the
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ .



Spoiler: show
frown on Worf.


Bill wrote:32a. Oh, those pesky little flying bugs! Filling them with a painfully deep sense of existential dread didn't work. I just want to put them all on a rocket ship and send them into space. I'll even pack them some
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _
in case they get thirsty!


Spoiler: show
gnat Tang
grodney
 
Posts: 1103
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby jbenz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 am

Neel Mehta wrote:
Bill wrote:38. I find it too distracting to shoot goals effectively against that attractive soccer celebrity. It's just that I can't help but notice, while approaching the
_ _ _ , / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ .


That couple belongs in the Keith Urban Wordplay Hall of Fame.

Spoiler: show
NET, AS I AIM, MIA IS A TEN.


Ah, of course.
jbenz
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Bill wrote:32. Sometimes, the tiniest bugs can be killed by stress alone. For my next picnic, I'm looking for some technique that
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ .


I needed the existential dread clue. I tried this bug as a plural and gave up on it.

Spoiler: show
PUTS GNAT ANGST UP.


Bill wrote:41. I did notice that on The Next Generation, the Enterprise had to limit its warp factor to reduce subspace emissions. But I haven't seen
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
DEEP SPACE NINE CAP SPEED.


Bill wrote:42. Jonathan Frakes did a cameo on one episode, and had great chemistry with Nana Visitor. It left me wondering. Despite the conditions they
_ _ _ / _ _ , / _ _ _ / " _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ " / _ _ / _ _ _ _ ?


Spoiler: show
MET IN, ARE KIRA/RIKER AN ITEM?
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 am

Looks good, and I think that's all of them. Well done, all.

I had also considered a MORN/ROM angle, but thought better of it.
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:06 am

43. President Trump had a special inclined plane built at his Florida resort for an upcoming fundraising event. But after the hurricane, it's covered with rain-soaked dirt. He's having it all cleaned out, but he'll still need to find a place to
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ .

44. They just don't make fabric the way Levi Strauss used to back when he was making clothes for ore extractors. It doesn't matter how much clothing you comb through, you won't see any. Look through a pound of clothes, you'll find
_ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ !

45. That power wordplay sports couple is very pleased they are able to provide their children with a good home in Manhattan Beach, because it is extremely important to them that the kids grow up in the state where he is from. But his father's genes, despised as they are, actually demand that they do so, or at least that's what they intend. That's right,
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Bill wrote:43. President Trump had a special inclined plane built at his Florida resort for an upcoming fundraising event. But after the hurricane, it's covered with rain-soaked dirt. He's having it all cleaned out, but he'll still need to find a place to
_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
DUMP MAR-A-LAGO GALA RAMP MUD.


Bill wrote:44. They just don't make fabric the way Levi Strauss used to back when he was making clothes for ore extractors. It doesn't matter how much clothing you comb through, you won't see any. Look through a pound of clothes, you'll find
_ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ , / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ / _ _ _ !


Spoiler: show
NOT AN IRON MINE DENIM, NOR IN A TON!


Bill wrote:45. That power wordplay sports couple is very pleased they are able to provide their children with a good home in Manhattan Beach, because it is extremely important to them that the kids grow up in the state where he is from. But his father's genes, despised as they are, actually demand that they do so, or at least that's what they intend. That's right,
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .


Not sure about this one, but the letters work out.

Spoiler: show
REVILED RAMON DNA AIMS TO ORDER CA SACRED ROOTS MIA AND NOMAR DELIVER.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 pm

'Tis it!
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm

46. I'm not sure if this is going to work. The video editing software is for the PC, but the digital
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ .

47. The book written by that teen Nobel Prize winner has become so popular, that now her mother has written a book. Its working title is "I
_ _ /_ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ ."

48. It caused a big stir when an executive of Pepsi was caught taking a swig of Coke while doing an interview. But now it's come out that Coca Cola paid him for the product placement. It's a classic
" _ _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ /_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ " / _ _ _ _ .
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:53 am

Bill wrote:47. The book written by that teen Nobel Prize winner has become so popular, that now her mother has written a book. Its working title is "I
_ _ /_ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ ."


Spoiler: show
am a Malala mama.


49. In that book, the mother recalls how she used to tell the young girl she wouldn't be truly famous until she got a prize, and the resulting exclamation from her daughter:
"_ _, /_ / _ _ _, / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ !"
grodney
 
Posts: 1103
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:46 am

grodney wrote:49. In that book, the mother recalls how she used to tell the young girl she wouldn't be truly famous until she got a prize, and the resulting exclamation from her daughter:
"_ _, /_ / _ _ _, / _ _ _ / _ / _ _ !"


Nice one.

Spoiler: show
MA, I WON, NOW I AM!


50. That notoriously tyrannical first lady of Argentina always wanted the best of everything, which is why it was so surprising that the painkillers she was given during her illness weren't the very highest quality brand. Or as one headline put it at the time,
_ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 pm

51. College students often don't take their April midterms as seriously as they should. Lack of studying in January and February can lead to a
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .

52. I think we should let the teams keep playing, but I'm only an assistant umpire. If you want to call the game a
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ , / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ .

53. When my plastic surgeon opened an Italian restaurant, I became a regular customer. So when he moved his business to locations in Phoenix and Tuscon, I continued ordering frozen pies through the mail. The slices taste just as good, but I'm going to have to get used to seeing
_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:04 am

Still stuck on #48.

Bill wrote:46. I'm not sure if this is going to work. The video editing software is for the PC, but the digital
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
CAMERAS ARE MAC.


Bill wrote:50. That notoriously tyrannical first lady of Argentina always wanted the best of everything, which is why it was so surprising that the painkillers she was given during her illness weren't the very highest quality brand. Or as one headline put it at the time,
_ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


Spoiler: show
EVITA DESPOT NOT ON TOP SEDATIVE.


Bill wrote:51. College students often don't take their April midterms as seriously as they should. Lack of studying in January and February can lead to a
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
MARCH CRAM.


Bill wrote:52. I think we should let the teams keep playing, but I'm only an assistant umpire. If you want to call the game a
_ _ _ , / _ _ _ _ , / _ _ / _ _ / _ _ .


Spoiler: show
TIE, BOSS, SO BE IT.


Bill wrote:53. When my plastic surgeon opened an Italian restaurant, I became a regular customer. So when he moved his business to locations in Phoenix and Tuscon, I continued ordering frozen pies through the mail. The slices taste just as good, but I'm going to have to get used to seeing
_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
AZ ZIP CODES ON NOSE DOC PIZZA.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Those are correct.

Neel Mehta wrote:Still stuck on #48.


The second-to-last word is

Spoiler: show
SODA
Bill
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Fill-in-the-Palindromes

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Bill wrote:48. It caused a big stir when an executive of Pepsi was caught taking a swig of Coke while doing an interview. But now it's come out that Coca Cola paid him for the product placement. It's a classic
" _ _ _ _ / _ / _ _ _ _ /_ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ " / _ _ _ _ .


Spoiler: show
"GULP A DOSE OF FOE SODA" PLUG.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1205
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron