Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Crest

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Crest

Postby Don WW » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:41 pm

I thought Crest had Fluoristan, not Fluoristat. So I looked it up at Wikipedia. Crest changed from Fluoristan to Fluoristat in 1981. How about that!
Don WW

Re: Crest

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Don WW wrote:I thought Crest had Fluoristan, not Fluoristat. So I looked it up at Wikipedia. Crest changed from Fluoristan to Fluoristat in 1981. How about that!

"Fluoristan" makes more sense; the "active ingredient" in Crest (and possibly other toothpastes) is stannous fluoride (a tin-fluorine compound). My first thought was that it sounds too much like one of the Central Asian republics (Kazakhstan, etc.), but 1981 is way too early for that. However, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan started at the end of 1979, so maybe that had something to do with the name change.
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby TheConfessor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 pm

A guy who called himself Stan Fluoride won $32,000 on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in 2000.
TheConfessor

Tin Tin Flouride . . .

Postby Ken Jennings Jr. » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Could the problem be that Flouristan was one of the fictional countries in Herge's Tin Tin graphic novels? Let's see, there was San Theodoros, Syldavia, Borduria, the Belgian Congo, Shanghai . . .
KJR Seattle
Ken Jennings Jr.

Postby econgator » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:55 pm

Then, there's Chevron with Techron ....
econgator

Postby kjnc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:17 pm

How about Sprite with 'Lymon'
kjnc

Postby bengland » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm

econgator wrote:Then, there's Chevron with Techron ....
Which, I think was formerly called Techroline. Uncanny similarity to the Fluoristat/Fluoristan switch, no?

Gleem toothpaste once contained Gardol. Does Gleem still exist?

There must be other "secret ingredients" whose names changed over time to reflect changing focus group tastes. Not that any spring to mind...

ETA: Memory is so unreliable. Gleem had GL-70. Colgate contained Gardol.
bengland

Postby econgator » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 pm

bengland wrote:
econgator wrote:Then, there's Chevron with Techron ....
Which, I think was formerly called Techroline. Uncanny similarity to the Fluoristat/Fluoristan switch, no?

Close:

From the Techron press release: "...Techron additive was derived from Techroline, the additive previously used in Chevron gasolines. Techron is an even more effective mixture of compounds that fight deposits in an engine's intake system, and is added to Chevron gasolines at a higher dose than the Techroline additive. Like Techroline, Techron does not contribute to combustion chamber deposits."
econgator

Postby TheConfessor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Tennessee Pride Country Sausage has Y-9D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIjh3c7LlPo
TheConfessor

Postby Bill » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:31 am

For what it's worth, Volkswagen had Fahrvergnugen.
Bill

Postby billiej » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:14 am

Schweppes has (had?) "Schweppervescence".
billiej

Postby Don WW » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:54 am

Gleem is still available. You can buy it on eBay. :shock:
Don WW

Postby rockgolf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:03 am

TheConfessor wrote:A guy who called himself Stan Fluoride won $32,000 on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in 2000.

I remember that vividly. Here's why: The name was so bizarre that I did a web search for it, recognizing the connection to Crest. I found a webpage from his high school's reunion(!) that gave his real name and said he was now an artist in SF who used the name Stan Flouride.

It also gave his e-mail address. So I wrote the guy, asking if he really named himself after the active ingredient in Crest. I was apparently the only person who both made the connection and found an e-mail for him. We became e-mail pals. (You're not the only game show winners I stalk, Ed & Ken. :wink: )

He gave me the best advise I ever got on chlld-rearing, which he claims he got from Robin Williams. Read Harry Potter aloud to your children. And I did. The timing was perfect. I bought Philosopher's Stone on the same day JK Rowling was in Toronto reading to over 30,000 kids live at the Skydome. I was working downtown and on my lunch break I went to pick up the book. Walking back to work, I ran into a sea of kids who were coming out of the reading and they were in rapture!

This was before the first movie came out, but after casting had been announced, so I knew to make Dumbledore sound like an old Richard Harris a la Camelot, McGonegal sound like Maggie Smith from The PRime Of Miss Jean Brodie and Snape like Alan Rickman as the bad guy from Die Hard, and Hagrid like Robbie Coltrane that I must have seen in some comedy shows or recordings.

Over the period of about a year I read every single word of those first 3 Potter books to my kids as a bedtime story. I loved it, the kids loved it, and they were great stories. My son lost interest, but my daughter became a mad voracious reader, able to read at a grade 3 level before kindergarten.

And a good part of that credit has to go to a guy who named himself after a toothpaste ingredient. And, I guess, Mork.
rockgolf

Postby PhygLeGuy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

in the blog, Ken wrote:What are some products that also give a catchy trade name to the iffy magical ingredient they contain?

Super Balls are made of Zectron.

The Big Mac gave a catchy tune to all of its iffy magical ingredients.
PhygLeGuy

On the other question

Postby PamelaJaye » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:27 pm

last time I tried it, I noticed swinging made me dizzy, too! It's not just me!

I do get carsick, but not if I sit in front and look out the window. Roller coasters make me pray (that's what I was told I was doing the first of only two I rode). The first drop was awful and after that I really was praying - that it would end soon. They told me the second one was minor compared to the Loch Ness Monster. Didn't matter. Although I was not the one who threw up, I sure thought I was going to.
They say Face your fears. Hogwash! I'll never do it again. Not even if Scott Bakula was in the seat beside me.
I should have thought of my ferris wheel experience (age 8?) and had more sense, but I was trying to be brave. And as a kid, the horses on the merry go round made me sick. I can ride those now.
Pam from Boston
http://www.bakulanews.com
Scott Bakula -- Latest Appearances and News
PamelaJaye

Postby Robert K S » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:42 pm

The old 16-bit Sega Genesis game system's biggest selling point before Sonic the Hedgehog came along was its "Blast Processing". As opposed to the standard processing of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, I suppose, which was a technically superior system in all quantifiable ways, at least according to the kids I used to get into console apologetics with before class in 6th grade.
Robert K S

Postby learner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Dow Bathroom Cleaner was said to contain "scrubbing bubbles", which was technically more of a description of an ingredient than a name of one. It's interesting that "Scrubbing Bubbles" is now the actual brand name.
learner

Postby PamelaJaye » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 am

learner wrote:Dow Bathroom Cleaner was said to contain "scrubbing bubbles", which was technically more of a description of an ingredient than a name of one. It's interesting that "Scrubbing Bubbles" is now the actual brand name.

It's odd that I've been awake for 4 hours, never turned on the TV or seen an ad, and have "heard" Scrubbing Bubbles twice today.
Pam from Boston
http://www.bakulanews.com
Scott Bakula -- Latest Appearances and News
PamelaJaye

Postby mlstrm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:43 am

Didn't Monty Python do a spoof on this, Crelm (with Frauduline)?

Cold-Eeze also has "Zigg," but that actually stands for something (zinc gluconate glycine).
mlstrm

Postby rjmason » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:41 pm

Thermonuclear weapons have Fogbank.

But is New Recipe Fogbank really as good as Fogbank Classic?

"I don't know how this happened that we forgot how to make fogbank," Coyle said. "It should not have happened, but it did."
rjmason

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:38 pm

Hey, it happens. Colgate apparently forgot how to make "Gardol."
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby j » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 am

Ken Jennings wrote:Hey, it happens. Colgate apparently forgot how to make "Gardol."

Though they did have MFP!
j

Postby melissa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:04 am

PhygLeGuy wrote:
in the blog, Ken wrote:What are some products that also give a catchy trade name to the iffy magical ingredient they contain?

Super Balls are made of Zectron.

The Big Mac gave a catchy tune to all of its iffy magical ingredients.

Just for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK2qBbDn5W0
melissa

Postby Dobie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkZkJdd4cJU

One of those bubbles invented the artificial heart.
Dobie

Crest not the first fluoridated toothpaste

Postby nyscof » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 am

It was Teal, made with sodium fluoride and it didn't reduce tooth decay
nyscof

Next

Return to Main Forum