Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Freakonomics and Even Stephven

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Freakonomics and Even Stephven

Postby skullturfq » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 pm

I recently picked up a used copy of the book Freakonomics, which is written by economist Steven Levitt and journalist Stephen Dubner. The spelling of their first names immediately reminded me of entertainers Stephen Colbert and Steve (Steven) Carell, who collaborated on The Daily Show, The Dana Carvey Show, and the Ambiguously Gay Duo cartoons.

Can any of you help me think of any other reasonably famous examples of two people with "almost" the same first name who collaborated on a well-known project? Any hit films starring a Katharine and a Catherine, or any bands with a John and a Jon in their lineup? I'm drawing a blank, but this seems like just the place to ask this question.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Steven Jobs and Stephen Wozniak!
skullturfq

Postby PhygLeGuy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Don’t know if winning a World Series constitutes “collaborating on a well-known project,” but the 2002 Angels Not of Los Angeles had Benji Gil, Bengie Molina, (along with Ben Weber, three born Benjamins), Shawn Wooten, Chone Figgins, Scot Shields, Scott Shoeneweis, and Scott Spiezio.
PhygLeGuy

Postby bwouns » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I think I've posted about this before, but the last three governors of Arizona all have a variation on the same name: Jane Dee Hull, Janet Napolitano, and Jan Brewer.

EDIT:

I don't know why this didn't occur to me while this thread was active:
http://ken-jennings.com/messageboards/v ... php?t=4945

By the way, how do people do that thing that makes a word in your text point to the link instead of using the URL itself?
Last edited by bwouns on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwouns

Postby skullturfq » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Between December 2006 and December 2008, the first names of the leaders of the two major Canadian political parties were Stephen and Stéphane.
skullturfq

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 pm

bwouns wrote:I think I've posted about this before, but the last three governors of Arizona all have a variation on the same name: Jane Dee Hull, Janet Napolitano, and Jan Brewer.

Along closely related lines: John McCain and Jon Kyl.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Re: Freakonomics and Even Stephven

Postby PhygLeGuy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm

skullturfq wrote:Any hit films starring a Katharine and a Catherine

This one did all right. Or, do Kathryn and Catherine merely almost have almost the same name?

Wondered about these two. Perhaps not well-known.

And here is a collaboration for you.
PhygLeGuy

Postby j » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm

bwouns wrote:I think I've posted about this before, but the last three governors of Arizona all have a variation on the same name: Jane Dee Hull, Janet Napolitano, and Jan Brewer.

EDIT:

By the way, how do people do that thing that makes a word in your text point to the link instead of using the URL itself?

1) Highlight the word you want to display as a link (double click or drag your mouse over it while holding down).
2) Click the "URL" button above the commenting text field
3) Insert the URL within the initial URL tag like so (I'm adding spaces so it will show up): [ u r l = h t t p : / / w w w . g o o g l e . c o m]
You can leave the closing URL tag alone
4) If you want, click Preview to test that it worked
j

Postby Dobie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Johnny Carson's three wives were named Joan, Joanne, and Joanna.
Dobie

Postby j » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:09 pm

There was the 60s group Paul and Paula, but those weren't their real names.
j

Postby econgator » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 pm

j wrote:

EDIT:

1) Highlight the word you want to display as a link (double click or drag your mouse over it while holding down).
2) Click the "URL" button above the commenting text field
3) Insert the URL within the initial URL tag like so (I'm adding spaces so it will show up): [ u r l = h t t p : / / w w w . g o o g l e . c o m]
You can leave the closing URL tag alone
4) If you want, click Preview to test that it worked

*nod* It should end up looking something like this: [yourl=http://somewebsite.com/sub]wordswordswords[/url]
econgator

Postby braggtastic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:35 am

Jon Stewart collaborates with John Oliver on The Daily Show, & John Hodgeman too.
braggtastic

Postby Squidd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am

If only there was a a recording of Joey Green using common household items to perform "La donna è mobile."
Squidd

Postby skullturfq » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:58 am

Napster was founded by a Shawn and a Sean (Shawn Fanning and Sean Parker).
skullturfq

Postby marpocky » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:14 am

For a while, the lineup of They Might Be Giants was John, John, Dan, Dan, and Dan. All spelled the same, but this thread made me think of it.

Alison Krauss makes a point at Union Station shows to point out that their lineup is herself, Dan, and Ron, and Jerry, Barry, and Larry.
marpocky

Postby porpoise spit » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:33 am

The recent Kennedy Center Honors featured this duet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj6z-dl21X8#t=2m08s
porpoise spit

Re: Freakonomics and Even Stephven

Postby bwouns » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 pm

skullturfq wrote:I recently picked up a used copy of the book Freakonomics, which is written by economist Steven Levitt and journalist Stephen Dubner. The spelling of their first names immediately reminded me of entertainers Stephen Colbert and Steve (Steven) Carell, who collaborated on The Daily Show, The Dana Carvey Show, and the Ambiguously Gay Duo cartoons.

Can any of you help me think of any other reasonably famous examples of two people with "almost" the same first name who collaborated on a well-known project? Any hit films starring a Katharine and a Catherine, or any bands with a John and a Jon in their lineup? I'm drawing a blank, but this seems like just the place to ask this question.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Steven Jobs and Stephen Wozniak!

I recently watched the film 'August:Osage County' and I noticed that the three women who portray Meryl Streep's character's daughters are:

Julia Roberts
Julianne Nicholson
Juliette Lewis
bwouns

Return to Main Forum