Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Guide Word Short Stories

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Guide Word Short Stories

Postby XWL » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:28 am

Anyone else, after reading Ken's post on fun with dictionary guide words, found themselves inspired to whip something up?

Using my handy dictionary (in my case M-W 10th Collegiate Dictionary) and some random integers using random.org, I challenged myself to use the words langebeinite, lap, enforcer, enhalo, brocade and brood (I threw in uxorial and vaginismus, just because I could).

The results of my endeavor can be read here.

Not something I ever considered doing in the past. It presents an interesting challenge though. I would love to see what others come up with similarly challenged.

And so far, great site, Mr. Jennings, and for what it's worth (which with regards to swaying your wife, no doubt absolutely nothing), I think Maeby Jennings would be a great name for a girl (about 50 years from now, I could just imagine, 52nd President of the United States, Maeby Jennings! Or not).
XWL

Re: Guide Word Short Stories

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 pm

XWL wrote:Anyone else, after reading Ken's post on fun with dictionary guide words, found themselves inspired to whip something up?

Using my handy dictionary (in my case M-W 10th Collegiate Dictionary) and some random integers using random.org, I challenged myself to use the words langebeinite, lap, enforcer, enhalo, brocade and brood (I threw in uxorial and vaginismus, just because I could).

The results of my endeavor can be read here.

That's awesome. I have to admit I haven't really tried this as a writing exercise. I mostly just wanted an excuse to share "uxorial / vaginismus." But I think there might be something to it.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby ModernMinerva » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:14 am

Ken, you had a very good idea, but it's not entirely original. A few friends and I would do something similar in English class when we had some down-time. Same thing with picking a random page (because our calculators have [pseudo-] random integer generators) and looking at the guide words, but we just tried to use them in the same sentence. Granted, you don't get the entertainment of an entire story, but two completely unrelated words forcibly strung together in a barely-coherent sentence is also pretty funny. Creativity was strongly encouraged.
ModernMinerva

Return to Main Forum