Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Googleable vs. Google-proof vs. Google-resistant

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 am

skullturfq wrote:I'm not sure if this one is unique, but can any of you think of a different band, also with a four-letter name, who had a number one hit single where the title of the song rhymes with the name of the band?

A cursory look makes me think this one is unique as well. Nice find.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby CellBlock » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:57 am

If my chart perusing is accurate, those two songs were #1s in the same year.
CellBlock

Postby marpocky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:23 pm

grodney wrote:This might be google-proof. Until this thread gets re-indexed.

A friend heard this yesterday on some radio rock trivia. I tried to google it to verify the question/answer, and couldn't find any mention.

Q: What is the only 4-letter band (name) to have a 4-letter song (title) go to number 1 (on the Billboard Hot 100, presumably)?

My first guess was the right band, but the wrong song (only made it to #6).
marpocky

Postby marpocky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 pm

skullturfq wrote:I'm not sure if this one is unique, but can any of you think of a different band, also with a four-letter name, who had a number one hit single where the title of the song rhymes with the name of the band?

This song was featured recently on a show with a four-letter name.
marpocky

Postby skullturfq » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Corollary to all this: "Kick" by INXS must've never made it to number 1.
skullturfq

Postby Paucle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 pm

A weird "get" for me; just started thinking of #1 songs from when I first got involved in college radio, and it was Fall 1979.... whoomp, there it is!

Stymied on the other one, though. I lost interest in music around the turn of the century, so if it's after that I'm sunk. If before, merely bested.
Paucle

Postby Paucle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm

oh! The show hint gave it to me, along with the "same year" hint, thanks. I kept trying to think of a 4-letter song name, then re-read the question. (Not to mention if the song had 4 letters it would mean the original question didn't have a unique answer, duh.)
Paucle

Postby grodney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:Hey, this is in the Trivia Almanac. I wonder if that's where the DJs saw it.

Yep, my friend said the DJs said that's where they got it. Credit where credit is due.
grodney

Postby grodney » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 am

I was researching great 80s bands today, and found out that a certain band was named after a fictional character, and the lead singer in that band has the same last name as a pretty significant different fictional character in the same fictional universe! What are the odds?!?!!

Actually, given the population of the fictional universe, the odds probably aren't that long.

Can you name the band, the significant character and/or lead singer, and the fictional universe?
grodney

Postby Paucle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Not sure if this is who you're looking for, but T'Pau had a lead singer named Decker (as in Capt Will of the Enterprise, or Commodore Matt of the Constellation.)
Paucle

Postby grodney » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Yes, that's it.
grodney

Postby grodney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Tonight, the trivia host asked "What is the only family to have 3 consecutive generations record a #1 hit?".

He has a history of not researching his questions properly, or not wording them properly. We're friends, so he doesn't mind when I re-vet his answers. Is this a solid question with a solid answer? Or can you poke holes in it??
grodney

Postby TheConfessor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 am

I would have guessed the Nelsons, just because David Nelson died this week and that news may have inspired the question. Is that the answer he wanted? I can imagine that there might be other correct answers, but I'll let someone else try to do the research on that. It's hard to prove a negative in this case.
TheConfessor

Postby grodney » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 am

That's the answer he wanted. It just seems like an "I read it on the internet" type of "fact". I suppose you could nitpick about which chart (country, pop, UK, etc.), but even assuming US Pop (Hot 100 and whatever it was before that), it seems like there is room for error.
grodney

Postby grodney » Tue May 03, 2011 9:24 am

The highest point in the U.S. was east of the Mississippi until what state was added to the union?

(I'm guest-hosting bar trivia next week, and I'm asking "In what state is the highest point east of the Mississippi?". I decided the above question was too hard for our normal crowd. But I bet a lot of you can get it.)

(This answer appears on at least 1 wikipedia page, so I'm assuming it's googleable despite which thread I put this in.)
grodney

Postby TheConfessor » Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 am

grodney wrote:The highest point in the U.S. was east of the Mississippi until what state was added to the union?

(I'm guest-hosting bar trivia next week, and I'm asking "In what state is the highest point east of the Mississippi?". I decided the above question was too hard for our normal crowd. But I bet a lot of you can get it.)

(This answer appears on at least 1 wikipedia page, so I'm assuming it's googleable despite which thread I put this in.)

The only state that comes to mind is: Texas.
I can't think of a plausible alternative.
TheConfessor

Postby grodney » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

TheConfessor wrote:The only state that comes to mind is: Texas.

Yep, that's it. It's probably easy (easily gettable?) if you know about geography west of the Mississippi and know the order the states were added -- two things that are not given -- especially at the bar I go to!
grodney

Postby marpocky » Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am

TheConfessor wrote:
grodney wrote:The highest point in the U.S. was east of the Mississippi until what state was added to the union?

The only state that comes to mind is: Texas.

I was debating between that and California.
marpocky

Re: Googleable vs. Google-proof vs. Google-resistant

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:11 am

I realize it's a contrived and uncommon name, but it has come to my attention that Fozzy Whittaker's real name is "Foswhitt", thus giving him a first name ending with the first 5 letters of his last name.

I think we had a thread about such names somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fozzy_Whittaker
grodney

Re: Googleable vs. Google-proof vs. Google-resistant

Postby rockgolf » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:59 pm

With over 5 years having passed, I think we can reveal that:

- the 4-letter band with the 4-letter #1 was
Spoiler: show
Styx with "Babe" (not "Lady")
- the 4-letter band with the rhyming song title was
Spoiler: show
Chic with "Le Freak"
which was unique.