Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Googleable vs. Google-proof vs. Google-resistant

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Googleable vs. Google-proof vs. Google-resistant

Postby mavman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:55 am

As is clear from Tuesday Trivia, many good questions today can be easily answered with a quick search (with Google, wiki, imdb, etc.)
The Q7 (things in common) type questions are pretty well Google-proof, as long as that specific collection has not been documented somewhere before.

Then there are the Google-resistant. These are questions which cannot be answered by just Googling some key words, but with a little legwork you can probably find it even if you had no clue off the top of your head. These are some I came up with (of course, if you know the answer without Googling, please say so proudly):

1. What former world leader has been married to partners whose birth years range from 1925 to 1969?

2. What US county is home to two major aviation-related facilities both named for Japanese-Americans?

3. What specific biographical characteristic has been common to the winners of 6 of the last 7 US presidential elections, but none before that?

4. What US city is home to two buildings with a combined seating capacity of over 63,000, named for members of the same family?

5. In the contiguous 48 states, what county encompasses an entire island, but no mainland territory, and has the same name as the island?
mavman

Postby grodney » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 am

I fancy myself a reasonable googler, and fell flat.

I guessed at #4 but am coming up a couple thousand seats short in Washington DC.

According to google 6 of the last 7 presidents were potty trained, but no word on the presidents before them.
grodney

Postby PhygLeGuy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:17 am

#5 First guess, confirmed by atlas consultation: Nantucket
PhygLeGuy

Postby RingoOSU » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:17 am

winners of 6 of the last 7 elections... So therefore it can only be

Reagan, Clinton, and Bush Jr; since Bush Sr is the only one who only won an election once in the last 7
RingoOSU

Re: Googleable vs. Google-proof vs. Google-resistant

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am

mavman wrote:2. What US county is home to two major aviation-related facilities both named for Japanese-Americans?

My guess: Honolulu County, HI. I have no idea what the aviation-related facilities are, or even if I'm right.

mavman wrote:3. What specific biographical characteristic has been common to the winners of 6 of the last 7 US presidential elections, but none before that?

My guess, without actually counting Presidents back to where I know this to be true: born in a hospital.
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby ArtVark » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:41 pm

mavman wrote:2. What US county is home to two major aviation-related facilities both named for Japanese-Americans?

This message is all spoiler:

Santa Clara County, California. It took me a few minutes to Google this, plus I used a bit of knowledge.

Here's what I did. I first thought about any Japanese-Americans who had anything to do with aviation. Ellison Onizuka was a member of the flight crew of the Challenger. I know this because there is a street in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles named after him. (I would like the City of Los Angeles to extend a couple of small streets so that there could be an intersection of Astronaut Ellison Onizuka Street and General Thaddeus Kosciuszko Way, but that's another story).

So I googled Challenger to accurately get his name, clicked on his wiki link and found that the Air Force Station in Sunnyvale California was named after him.
I then used Google Maps to look at Sunnyvale, and I saw the Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (I accurately figured that aviation facilities would take up a lot of space on the map).
Last edited by ArtVark on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ArtVark

Postby ArtVark » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm

mavman wrote:4. What US city is home to two buildings with a combined seating capacity of over 63,000, named for members of the same family?

The problem with this question is that there may be more than one city that qualifies. It's a lot of work to eliminate all the other possible places.

I came up with an answer that you probably do not intend:

Minneapolis -- The Hubert Humphrey Metrodome has a seating capacity of over 63,000 for football, and the Hubert Humphrey Terminal at the Minneapolis-St.Paul Airport I assume has a seating capacity of more than one. If you want another family member, if I find a Humphrey's hotel or Humphrey's coffee shop, the that would also qualify.

ETA: Saint Louis also qualifies. The Edward Jones Dome has a seating capacity of over 63,000, and there is at least one Edward Jones Building in Saint Louis. I believe that there are several generations of Edwards in this family, so it is possible that these could be named after separate people.
ArtVark

Postby mavman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:59 pm

OK I'll recap the answers so far:

1. No responses yet. If this helps, we're talking G-8 level world leader. And I'm including a liberal definition of marriage, recognized in that country.

2. ArtVark has the correct, and extremely comprehensive answer.

3. RingOSU is correct in narrowing down the individuals. The answer is not something obscure like having only daughters or missing a finger; it is a politically relevant part of one's history. It is now impossible for the recent trend to continue this year; a few months ago there were two long-shot chances. It was also (in slightly different form) a Final Jeopardy answer from several years ago.

4. Grodney got the answer I was looking for. I'm assuming we're thinking of the same buildings, but got slightly different numbers in our research. I admit that the others mentioned (mostly by ArtVark) make my question imperfect.

5. PhygLeGuy got this one. I almost omitted the "same name" clause, which would have allowed New York County and Richmond County.
mavman

Postby PhygLeGuy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:51 am

mavman wrote:
5. PhygLeGuy got this one. I almost omitted the "same name" clause, which would have allowed New York County and Richmond County.

Regarding New York, au contraire, mon frere. I once walked across the bridge just to say I'd been there. The author of the page does describe it as “a little-known quirk of geography."
PhygLeGuy

Postby econgator » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:22 pm

mavman wrote:OK I'll recap the answers so far:

1. No responses yet. If this helps, we're talking G-8 level world leader. And I'm including a liberal definition of marriage, recognized in that country.

Can't come up with anything.
econgator

Postby mavman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Notice I avoided the word wife
mavman

Postby porpoise spit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:58 am

porpoise spit

Postby econgator » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:27 am

mavman wrote:Notice I avoided the word wife

Yeah, I was looking for a female, as you specifically avoided using pronouns. Obviously, still didn't find her. :)
econgator

Postby ArtVark » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:54 pm

mavman wrote:
3. What specific biographical characteristic has been common to the winners of 6 of the last 7 US presidential elections, but none before that?

This is a guess: They were the only presidents to have been elected governor twice.
ArtVark

Postby mavman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 am

This is a guess: They were the only presidents to have been elected governor twice.

Very good guess. But I know FDR was elected governor twice, even though he only served 4 years.

You are on the right track for the answer I had in mind: Something about their service as governors is not true of any previous presidents.
mavman

Postby skullturfq » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 am

mavman wrote:

Very good guess. But I know FDR was elected governor twice, even though he only served 4 years.

You are on the right track for the answer I had in mind: Something about their service as governors is not true of any previous presidents.

Another guess: Were they (Carter, Clinton, and GW Bush) the youngest governors in their state's history? Or the youngest to be reelected? Am I close?
skullturfq

Postby Rex Kramer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:58 am

skullturfq wrote:
mavman wrote:

Another guess: Were they (Carter, Clinton, and GW Bush) the youngest governors in their state's history? Or the youngest to be reelected? Am I close?

Can't be that close since Carter was not one of the folks involved -- it's Reagan.

Was it that their governorships were the first elected offices each of them held?
Rex Kramer

Postby rockgolf » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 am

Nope. Clinton was first elected as AK AR A-G.

(Edited to correct abbr.)
Last edited by rockgolf on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockgolf

Postby RingoOSU » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:47 am

AR. AK is Alaska.
RingoOSU

Postby mavman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:49 am

The reason this was tricky when a variation was on Final Jeopardy is that it requires knowledge of both history and geography, and it turns out that the geography part trips up most folks.
mavman

Postby RingoOSU » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:31 pm

hmm

Elected governors of states west of the Mississippi?
RingoOSU

Postby porpoise spit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:59 pm

porpoise spit

Postby mavman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ringo gets this one.

This is counterintuitive because we think of Arkansas as part of the deep South, which we also think of as the Southeast. Many people who are not from that area are surprised to find that it is west of the Mississippi.

When this was a Final Jeopardyin reverse format in 2000, two of the three contestants couldn't come up with Clinton, even though he was the incumbent president at the time, and surely they knew he was Governor of Arkansas.
mavman

So is that all then?

Postby tOdd » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:39 am

Now that we've answered all your Google-resistant questions, would it be OK if I tried one (or two)?

---Todd
tOdd

Postby grodney » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 am

mavman wrote:5. In the contiguous 48 states, what county encompasses an entire island, but no mainland territory, and has the same name as the island?

According to Wikipedia (standard disclaimers apply):
"
Nantucket is an island... Together with the small islands of Tuckernuck and Muskeget, it constitutes the town of Nantucket, Massachusetts and the coterminous Nantucket County...
"

Although the inclusion of 3 islands in the county does not contradict the question, I read the question as implying that it encompasses *only* one island. (I'm not saying I would have figured it out, I'm just saying there is room for misinterpretation, at least the way I read it.)
grodney

Next

Return to Main Forum