Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Celebrity name subsets

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby Bill » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Li Na actually seems like one of the easier names to find in another, e.g., AngeLINA Jolie.
Bill

Postby Momma Snider » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 am

Eva Longoria, actress, and Evan Longoria, baseball player.
Momma Snider

Postby marpocky » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Another trivial one I noticed today while (finally) catching up on the latest season of Breaking Bad: AARON PAUL
marpocky

Postby jbenz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 am

jbenz wrote:
ELI MANNING has thrown a lot of touchdown passes to MARIO MANNINGHAM over the past few years.

Going back to the NFL, it's weird reading the scoring summary for the Atlanta Falcons right now, because every entry is either MATT RYAN (quarterback) or MATT BRYANT (kicker).
jbenz

Re: Celebrity name subsets

Postby bwouns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

So, I've been staring at the name MARIAN ANDERSON the last couple of days (marpocky knows what I'm talking about) and one thing I've noticed is that she contains Jethro Tull lead singer IAN ANDERSON.

Edited to add: For that matter GILLIAN ANDERSON also works.
bwouns

Postby marpocky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 pm

bwouns wrote:So, I've been staring at the name MARIAN ANDERSON the last couple of days (marpocky knows what I'm talking about)

For the life of me, I can't remember what you're referencing, although I really feel like I should.
marpocky

Postby bwouns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 pm

marpocky wrote:
bwouns wrote:So, I've been staring at the name MARIAN ANDERSON the last couple of days (marpocky knows what I'm talking about)

For the life of me, I can't remember what you're referencing, although I really feel like I should.

Oh, its just that MARIAN ANDERSON is a theme entry in Matt Gaffney's latest crossword contest, and I know you're a player because I've seen your name on the leaderboard (unless its a different Marpocky?)
bwouns

Postby marpocky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:57 am

bwouns wrote:
marpocky wrote:

Oh, its just that MARIAN ANDERSON is a theme entry in Matt Gaffney's latest crossword contest, and I know you're a player because I've seen your name on the leaderboard (unless its a different Marpocky?)

Nope, that's definitely me. I've been camping all week so I didn't get to the newest puzzle until this morning! I swear I was just reading something about her recently though, so I thought maybe I had posted something too.
marpocky

Postby marpocky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:49 pm

Resurrecting this old thread to point out BARKHAD ABDI, Oscar-nominated for his role in Captain Phillips, and BARKHAD ABDIRAHMAN who played one of his fellow pirates.
marpocky

Previous

Return to Main Forum