Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Long Band Names

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby Rex Kramer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:12 am

When I was a kid I read a trivia book (the same one that said the Japanese had no word for kissing, and never did it except when parents kissed their children) that claimed that the longest song title was the Hoagy Carmichael tune, "I'm A Cranky Old Yank In A Clanky Old Tank On The Streets Of Yokohama With My Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-O, Beat-O, Flat-On-My-Seat-O, Hirohito Blues".

I am sure some of you must have read this same book.

Alas, the DMDB (Demented Music Database ("dmdb.org") -- the official Dr. Demento playlist archive. Who knew?) now bursts my long-held bubble:

"The title of the song has been the subject of much controversy. The 1967 edition of The Guinness Book Of World Records claimed this was the longest song title ever, and that it was "I'm A Cranky Old Yank In A Clanky Old Tank On The Streets Of Yokohama With My Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-O, Beat-O, Flat-On-My-Seat-O, Hirohito Blues". The source of this information is not known, although apparently it was a joke, perhaps perpetrated by Hoagy."

Hmmph. All I can say is, never trust anyone named for a sandwich.

Rex
Rex Kramer

Postby grodney » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:24 am

geniusonwheels wrote:
grodney wrote:
geniusonwheels wrote:The longest song on MY iPod is 10 words, 49 letters.

Anyone care to guess what it is?

I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - Sinead O'Connor

That song is 10 words, 37 letters.

I thought you might have mis-counted.

It's actually 8 words. Sinead O'Connor is the artist name.

Kids.
grodney

Postby rockgolf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am

yeah. If you try to explain to them about a female singer who shaved their hair off and got into big trouble they have no idea what you're talking about.
rockgolf

Postby geniusonwheels » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 am

Wow, I can't even make a bad joke without people playing the "geniusonwheels is a teenager, and has no knowledge of things before 1990" card.

I intentionally added Sinead into the title, just trying to make a joke.
Fun Trivia A great place for trivia.
geniusonwheels

Postby econgator » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:03 pm

geniusonwheels wrote:Wow, I can't even make a bad joke without people playing the "geniusonwheels is a teenager, and has no knowledge of things before 1990" card.

I intentionally added Sinead into the title, just trying to make a joke.

Yeah, well, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got was released IN 1990, not before. Shows what you know. Teenagers ... sheesh. :P
econgator

Postby Sequin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Sequin wrote:I have one on my mp3 player which is 13 words (if you count words like "she's" as two - it doesn't contain that example though) and 46 characters (including two apostrophes, but not including spaces) - by a late, much lamented, english female singer

The song on my mp3 player is "there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis" by Kirsty McColl
================================================
I'm an optoholic - my glass is always half full of Vodka!
Sequin

Postby rockgolf » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 pm

I love Kirsty! From her cover of Billy Bragg's "A New England" to the immortal duet with the Pogues on "Fairytale of New York" (Best. Xmas. Song. Ever.) to "Walking Down Madison". For a girl with a lot of American references in her titles, she never got anywhere in the States. Darn shame.

The only thing Kirsty did that gained any American attention was writing "They Don't Know" for Tracy Ullman. Very sad death. Worth reading about.

Any Americans on this board ever heard of her before? Other than pcflamingo's son, that is.
rockgolf

Postby ArtVark » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:13 pm

rockgolf wrote:I love Kirsty! From her cover of Billy Bragg's "A New England" to the immortal duet with the Pogues on "Fairytale of New York" (Best. Xmas. Song. Ever.) to "Walking Down Madison". For a girl with a lot of American references in her titles, she never got anywhere in the States. Darn shame.

The only thing Kirsty did that gained any American attention was writing "They Don't Know" for Tracy Ullman. Very sad death. Worth reading about.

Any Americans on this board ever heard of her before? Other than pcflamingo's son, that is.

Okay. I sort'a heard of her. I did not recognize the name but knew who you were talking about after I finished reading the message.
ArtVark

Postby TheConfessor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm

rockgolf wrote:The only thing Kirsty did that gained any American attention was writing "They Don't Know" for Tracy Ullman. Very sad death. Worth reading about.

My default local radio station, KGSR, plays Kirsty MacColl's "In These Shoes" all the time. Other than the fact that she was dead, I didn't know much about her until I just now read her Wikipedia entry. I had no idea she wrote "They Don't Know." Tracy Ullman's version of that song (and the video) are among my all-time favorites. I have the vinyl 45 on my jukebox. The B side was also written by MacColl, "You Broke My Heart In 17 Places." Unfortunately, my jukebox stopped working a few years ago.
TheConfessor

Postby braggtastic » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:34 am

Due to my love of all things Billy Bragg, I've known about Kirsty MacColl for a very long time. I remember Bragg playing The Bottom Line not long after she was killed and dedicating A New England to her - very moving.
braggtastic

Postby PhygLeGuy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 am

rockgolf wrote:Any Americans on this board ever heard of [Kirsty MacColl] before?
Still have the 45rpm picture disc of “They Don’t Know” that I picked up at my local Sam Goody way back when. Also remember hearing “…chip shop…” on the radio and seeing the video for “In These Shoes.”

There is a sticky note in the trash can between my ears claiming that Mara Liasson of NPR survived a similar gruesome accident, but a modicum of googling suggests only that I need to empty the trash a little more often. Am I thinking of someone else?
PhygLeGuy

Postby pcflamingo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:49 am

rockgolf wrote:I love Kirsty! From her cover of Billy Bragg's "A New England" to the immortal duet with the Pogues on "Fairytale of New York" (Best. Xmas. Song. Ever.) to "Walking Down Madison". For a girl with a lot of American references in her titles, she never got anywhere in the States. Darn shame.

Actually my son HAS heard of her - "I think I used to have a video of her performing with members of the Smiths on Top Of The Pops. I never knew much about her, but she's a bit of a legend over there. That title alone is worth an MBE." Weirdly enough when I was emailing him about this, my favorite song about heroin came on the radio, by a Liverpool band with one of the shortest band names I ever heard of. More UK musicians ... any guesses?
pcflamingo

Postby rockgolf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Wah!? The La's? Cast? I'm definitely WAG'ing here.

I'm dying to find out if your son took the RMAT & how he did.
rockgolf

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 pm

pcflamingo wrote:Weirdly enough when I was emailing him about this, my favorite song about heroin came on the radio, by a Liverpool band with one of the shortest band names I ever heard of. More UK musicians ... any guesses?

It's not a-ha; they're from Norway. I doubt it's XTC; they're from Swindon (wrong part of England). It's not X; they're from Los Angeles.
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby pcflamingo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 pm

rockgolf wrote:Wah!? The La's? Cast? I'm definitely WAG'ing here.

I'm dying to find out if your son took the RMAT & how he did.

WAG'ing works well for you - The La's is the group, now what's the song?

My son forgot about the RMAT - he's been studying for a certification class for work. Oh well, next year or whenever they have their next "annual" thing.
pcflamingo

Postby rockgolf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 pm

If you tell me that "Here She Comes" is about heroin, then Sixpence None the Richer got some 'splaing to do.
rockgolf

Postby pcflamingo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm

rockgolf wrote:If you tell me that "Here She Comes" is about heroin, then Sixpence None the Richer got some 'splaing to do.

That's what I heard it was about, and if you listen to the lyrics with a suspicious ear that's what it sounds like too.
From Wikipedia, FWIW ... "There She Goes" has gained a certain reputation as being about using heroin. The lyrics seem to refer to a woman, but on closer inspection of some lines ("There she goes again... racing through my brain... pulsing through my vein... no one else can heal my pain"), the possible drug connotations become apparent. Several newspapers ran articles about The La's and their apparent ode to heroin. When asked about the rumor in 1995, the group's bassist John Power replied, "I don't know. Truth is, I don't wanna know. Drugs and madness go hand in hand. People who you've known all your life... they're steady, then they're not. But you can't ponder, cos' it kills you, la.'"[1]

My son actually met one of the La's when he was in school in Liverpool. He was wandering about, having had too much local brew and ran across one of the La's (not Lee, must have been John) who patted him on the head and told him he was a "good la".
pcflamingo

Postby fmerrilljr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Longest movie title I'm aware of: Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Hellbound, Flesh-Eating Subhumanoid Zombified Living Dead, Part 3

Longest song title I'm aware of (which doesn't consist of a list, or anything in parentheses): "Do you want to boogie with me or do you don't, 'cause if you do i will with you, but if you don't i won't" by Ron Haffkine

Honorable mention: "She offered her honor, and he honored her offer, and all night long he was honor and offer" by the Sligo Studio Band
fmerrilljr

Postby Sequin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:35 am

rockgolf wrote:The only thing Kirsty did that gained any American attention was writing "They Don't Know" for Tracy Ullman. Very sad death. Worth reading about.

A documentary on Kirsty's death on the BBC last night revealed that Kirsty sang backing vocals on Tracy's version, and also sang the high notes in the lead vocal which Tracy couldn't reach!
I'm an optoholic - my glass is always half full of Vodka!
Sequin

Re: Long Band Names

Postby grodney » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:52 am

A song by "Blancmange" came on my radio yesterday, and I thought "That's a lot of letters for two syllables.".

Today I came up with "Shriekback" to tie it at 10 letters and 2 syllables.

Other 2-syllable band names with lots of letters?
grodney

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:44 am

grodney wrote:A song by "Blancmange" came on my radio yesterday, and I thought "That's a lot of letters for two syllables.".

Today I came up with "Shriekback" to tie it at 10 letters and 2 syllables.

Other 2-syllable band names with lots of letters?

Switchfoot is also 10 letters. Grouplove has 9.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Found a few more. 9-letter examples are more common, so I'm sticking to double digits.

11 letters: STREETHEART, QUEENSRYCHE, BLACKSTREET
10 letters: BLANCMANGE, SHRIEKBACK, SWITCHFOOT, WHITESNAKE, DARKTHRONE, LIGHTHOUSE, LANDSCAPES

Edited to remove BUCKCHERRY. Got caught up in the compound word and forgot to count.
Neel Mehta

Postby themanwho » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Not many Myrons left in this world, but I'm one of them.
themanwho

Previous

Return to Main Forum