Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Who comes next in this sequence?

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Who comes next in this sequence?

Postby Scarequotes » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:54 am

This is definitely googlable. So, I guess feel bad if you figure this out by googling.

1. Rita Coolidge
2. Jennifer Warnes and Kenny Vance
3. Sun Ra
4. Bette Midler
5. Andrew Gold and Andrae Crouch

If no one gets it, I'll add some names to the list tomorrow.
Quiz Quiz Bang Bang: a trivia foundry & quiz studio run by James Callan
Scarequotes

Postby gsplit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Without Googling, I can tell you that the next answer is Junior Walker and the All-Stars, and that some of the subsequent names to be added to the list include Tom Petty, 10000 Maniacs, Tom Petty, Weezer, and most recently, Maroon 5.
gsplit

Postby Scarequotes » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:58 pm

gsplit gets the kewpie doll!
Scarequotes

Postby mavman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:07 pm

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-If I have this right, the next one after Jr. Walker is Olivia Newton-John?
mavman

Postby Scarequotes » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Indeed.

-
-
-
-
-
-
For those who just want the answer: they're the musical guests for Saturday Night Live season finale episodes.
Scarequotes

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:55 pm

What do these cast members have in common?

Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Darrell Hammond
Gary Kroeger
Jon Lovitz
Norm MacDonald
Seth Meyers
Joe Piscopo
Bill

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Bill wrote:What do these cast members have in common?

Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Darrell Hammond
Gary Kroeger
Jon Lovitz
Norm MacDonald
Seth Meyers
Joe Piscopo

They've all been sued, post-SNL, by their own careers for defamation of character? :-)
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Craig S. Cottingham wrote:

Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Darrell Hammond
Gary Kroeger
Jon Lovitz
Norm MacDonald
Seth Meyers
Joe Piscopo

They've all been sued, post-SNL, by their own careers for defamation of character? :-)

That would likely be a class action suit.

What I'm thinking of, on the other hand, applies only to the cast members listed, although I imagine that Amy Poehler might have a shot if she sticks around for another season.
Bill

Postby bwouns » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:31 pm

In my opinion, Darrell Hammond should be replaced with Will Ferrell on the list, which would mean Seth Myers should not have had the opportunity to be included.
bwouns

Postby mavman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 pm

I was thinking Aykroyd should be on here somewhere, but he was gone before 1980. I had totally forgotten that Piscopo took over that role that year.
mavman

Postby Bill » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:45 am

bwouns wrote:In my opinion, Darrell Hammond should be replaced with Will Ferrell on the list, which would mean Seth Myers should not have had the opportunity to be included.

I agree completely. But if Darrell Hammond must be there, I'd much rather see Will Forte on the list than Seth Meyers.

mavman wrote:I was thinking Aykroyd should be on here somewhere, but he was gone before 1980. I had totally forgotten that Piscopo took over that role that year.

I was thinking Aykroyd when I first got the idea, but I did some fact-checking and learned it was actually Piscopo. In fact, this was going to be my next hint if nobody got it. For the same reason, I was surprised to see that Chevy Chase only just makes the list.
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:21 am

Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Darrell Hammond
Gary Kroeger
Jon Lovitz
Norm MacDonald
Seth Meyers
Joe Piscopo

I'm stumped. I had a stab-in-the-dark guess, which I'm pretty sure is wrong: I thought maybe these are the performers who, at one time or another, have been SNL's highest paid cast member? But surely that can't be it if Gary Kroeger is on the list. I think my guess fails in other ways too.

Aha! Now I think I've got it. So I'm guessing the "correct order" would be Chase, then Piscopo? (which I am surprised to see), then I assume Kroeger although I don't think I've seen any of the relevant episodes. Then Lovitz, then Carvey, then MacDonald, then Hammond, then Meyers.
skullturfq

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:46 am

Bill wrote:What I'm thinking of, on the other hand, applies only to the cast members listed, although I imagine that Amy Poehler might have a shot if she sticks around for another season.

Most definitely. Between Clinton and Kucinich, one of them has to lose. Unless this list is confined to representing Presidential candidates who won their party ticket but lost the election.

At least, I think that's what you're going for with this list. Darrell Hammond's success on the other side threw me off; it was Lovitz (and his eyebrows) that got me back on track.
Neel Mehta

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:56 am

"My parents were little people. Little...swarthy...people."
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:15 am

Nicely done all. Answer below:

-

-

-

-

Each of them was the regular cast member who was playing the losing candidate for president during that election year.

These are no small stakes for the cast. If you develop an impression of a candidate, and your guy actually becomes president, that's a lot more screen time for you, potentially for years to come.

Gary Kroeger did a funny piece on this after the 1984 election. He was taking off his Mondale makeup, complaining that this would have been his big chance for a breakout role. "Thanks a lot, Walter, Mr. 13 Electoral Votes!" In 1992, Dana Carvey called Phil Hartman to concede. At least he had the Church Lady to fall back on.
Bill

Postby gsplit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:09 am

Bill wrote:Nicely done all. Answer below:

-

-

-

-

Each of them was the regular cast member who was playing the losing candidate for president during that election year.

These are no small stakes for the cast. If you develop an impression of a candidate, and your guy actually becomes president, that's a lot more screen time for you, potentially for years to come.

Gary Kroeger did a funny piece on this after the 1984 election. He was taking off his Mondale makeup, complaining that this would have been his big chance for a breakout role. "Thanks a lot, Walter, Mr. 13 Electoral Votes!" In 1992, Dana Carvey called Phil Hartman to concede. At least he had the Church Lady to fall back on.

Text is in white for those who have not yet read the answer:

Also, don't forget that Bob Dole appeared in 1996 to comiserate with Norm MacDonald following his loss. And I don't think Darrell Hammond has exactly suffered for lack of screen-time following GWB's "victory" (even going so far as to play Bush once following Will Ferrell's departure and the realization that Chris Parnell sucked at the role). Plus, had Kerry won in 2004, would Seth Meyers still be playing him now that he's only doing Weekend Update, or would someone else have taken over by now, like the GWB revolving door the last few years?
gsplit

Postby Bill » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:26 am

Bill wrote:
Craig S. Cottingham wrote:

Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Darrell Hammond
Gary Kroeger
Jon Lovitz
Norm MacDonald
Seth Meyers
Joe Piscopo

That would likely be a class action suit.

What I'm thinking of, on the other hand, applies only to the cast members listed, although I imagine that Amy Poehler might have a shot if she sticks around for another season.

As it turned out, it was Darrell Hammond again.
Bill

Re: Who comes next in this sequence?

Postby Bill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:17 am

Welcome to the club, Jason Sudeikis.

And, under the right circumstances in 2016, he could double up like Darrell Hammond.
Bill

Postby marpocky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:56 am

Bill wrote:Welcome to the club, Jason Sudeikis.

And, under the right circumstances in 2016, he could double up like Darrell Hammond.

I see what you're getting at, but I think he's leaving the show in January.
marpocky

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:24 am

Welcome to the club, Alec Baldwin.

Wait, what?

harvey.png
harvey.png (126.67 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

Welcome to the club, Kate McKinnon.
Bill

Return to Main Forum