Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Yet more images

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Yet more images

Postby billiej » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:10 pm

This is probably too simplistic for this sharp crowd, but I had fun compiling it anyway! What do the following images represent?

1. Image
2. Image
3. Image
4. Image
5. Image
6. Image
7. Image
8. Image
9. Image
10. Image
11. Image

One hint: the last image is a stretch.
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby bwouns » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Image
bwouns
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:31 am
Location: Eugene, OR

Postby billiej » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:59 pm

You got it - see, I knew it wouldn't be a stumper! Clever response, BTW.
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby econgator » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:17 pm

I fold.
econgator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby malonetd » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:47 pm

econgator wrote:I fold.


Yeah, I'm not seeing this one.
malonetd
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby billiej » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:17 am

malonetd wrote:
econgator wrote:I fold.


Yeah, I'm not seeing this one.


One hint: bwouns answer is quite literal. If you verbalize what the image is, I bet the theme will come to you.
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby mavman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am

Oh I see it now. Should have known that when Secretariat and Seattle are mentioned together, this is the topic.
mavman
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Postby econgator » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:05 pm

billiej wrote:
malonetd wrote:
econgator wrote:I fold.


Yeah, I'm not seeing this one.


One hint: bwouns answer is quite literal. If you verbalize what the image is, I bet the theme will come to you.


Mavman's hint actually gave it to me, but I do see it now. Some nice picture references, now that I get it. :)

Technically, though, isn't 7. actually depicting battery?
econgator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:42 pm

econgator wrote:Technically, though, isn't 7. actually depicting battery?

According to Wikipedia (which at least cites references, so hopefully it can be trusted for this), assault is the threat, while battery is the action. I take that to mean that you can have assault without battery, but battery necessarily includes assault. In other words, I can't batter you without assaulting you first.

And that's enough use of the color tag for one post. :-)
Craig S. Cottingham
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Olathe, KS

Postby skullturfq » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:44 pm

If you have a dirty mind, Craig's post looks funny with all the blanks.

I know the theme now, but can't identify all the pictures. Does someone want to name them in white?
skullturfq
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Miami

Postby billiej » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:58 pm

Craig S. Cottingham wrote:
econgator wrote:Technically, though, isn't 7. actually depicting battery?

According to Wikipedia (which at least cites references, so hopefully it can be trusted for this), assault is the threat, while battery is the action. I take that to mean that you can have assault without battery, but battery necessarily includes assault. In other words, I can't batter you without assaulting you first.

And that's enough use of the color tag for one post. :-)


American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

as·sault (ə-sôlt') Pronunciation Key
n.

A violent physical or verbal attack.

An unlawful threat or attempt to do bodily injury to another.
The act or an instance of unlawfully threatening or attempting to injure another.

Law
An unlawful threat or attempt to do bodily injury to another.
The act or an instance of unlawfully threatening or attempting to injure another.

v. tr.

To make an assault upon; attack.


So it looks like it can refer to either the threat or the physical act
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:00 pm

malonetd wrote:
econgator wrote:I fold.


Yeah, I'm not seeing this one.


Me neither.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:01 pm

skullturfq wrote:If you have a dirty mind, Craig's post looks funny with all the blanks.

I know the theme now, but can't identify all the pictures. Does someone want to name them in white?


You sick (Signaling Device).

Actually, I was thinking about MadLibs when I read that.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby billiej » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:11 pm

skullturfq wrote:If you have a dirty mind, Craig's post looks funny with all the blanks.

I know the theme now, but can't identify all the pictures. Does someone want to name them in white?


The images are:


1. Clara Barton
2. fox
3. Omaha Beach
4. Admiral Horatio Nelson
5. McDonnell XHJD-1 Whirlaway
6. a fleet of ships
7. an assault (at least according to the American Heritage dictionary :wink: )
8. someone getting a citation
9. the UN Secretariat building
10. Seattle skyline
11. SNL character Stuart Smalley
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:16 pm

billiej wrote:
skullturfq wrote:If you have a dirty mind, Craig's post looks funny with all the blanks.

I know the theme now, but can't identify all the pictures. Does someone want to name them in white?


The images are:


1. Clara Barton
2. fox
3. Omaha Beach
4. Admiral Horatio Nelson
5. McDonnell XHJD-1 Whirlaway
6. a fleet of ships
7. an assault (at least according to the American Heritage dictionary :wink: )
8. someone getting a citation
9. the UN Secretariat building
10. Seattle skyline
11. SNL character Stuart Smalley


I'm still clueless. These are very hard for me, and I wish I knew the answer.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby billiej » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:31 pm

cadams35 wrote:
billiej wrote:
skullturfq wrote:If you have a dirty mind, Craig's post looks funny with all the blanks.

I know the theme now, but can't identify all the pictures. Does someone want to name them in white?


The images are:


1. Clara Barton
2. fox
3. Omaha Beach
4. Admiral Horatio Nelson
5. McDonnell XHJD-1 Whirlaway
6. a fleet of ships
7. an assault (at least according to the American Heritage dictionary :wink: )
8. someone getting a citation
9. the UN Secretariat building
10. Seattle skyline
11. SNL character Stuart Smalley


I'm still clueless. These are very hard for me, and I wish I knew the answer.


More MadLibs?

OK, another hint: This is a complete list in chronological order. I'm assuming from some of your prior posts that you were born long after the last time this happened.
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:48 pm

billiej wrote:
cadams35 wrote:
billiej wrote:
skullturfq wrote:If you have a dirty mind, Craig's post looks funny with all the blanks.

I know the theme now, but can't identify all the pictures. Does someone want to name them in white?


The images are:


1. Clara Barton
2. fox
3. Omaha Beach
4. Admiral Horatio Nelson
5. McDonnell XHJD-1 Whirlaway
6. a fleet of ships
7. an assault (at least according to the American Heritage dictionary :wink: )
8. someone getting a citation
9. the UN Secretariat building
10. Seattle skyline
11. SNL character Stuart Smalley


I'm still clueless. These are very hard for me, and I wish I knew the answer.


More MadLibs?

OK, another hint: This is a complete list in chronological order. I'm assuming from some of your prior posts that you were born long after the last time this happened.


Yeah, more MadLibs.

Also, if it's before 1992, it's before me.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby econgator » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:21 pm

cadams35 wrote:Also, if it's before 1992, it's before me.


About 14 years before you.
econgator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:54 pm

econgator wrote:
cadams35 wrote:Also, if it's before 1992, it's before me.


About 14 years before you.


Still not helping.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby billiej » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:00 pm

cadams35 wrote:
econgator wrote:
cadams35 wrote:Also, if it's before 1992, it's before me.


About 14 years before you.


Still not helping.


One more hint: I would say #9 is the most famous member of the list - even people who don't follow this field have heard the name.
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby econgator » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:20 pm

billiej wrote:
cadams35 wrote:
econgator wrote:
cadams35 wrote:Also, if it's before 1992, it's before me.


About 14 years before you.


Still not helping.


One more hint: I would say #9 is the most famous member of the list - even people who don't follow this field have heard the name.


As a matter of fact, 9. was named one of ESPN's Top 50 Athletes of All-Time.
econgator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby billiej » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:42 am

econgator wrote:As a matter of fact, 9. was named one of ESPN's Top 50 Athletes of All-Time.


And #8 made the top 100, along with another that some people might think is on this list, but isn't (although he is #4's father).
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Postby WhitePhantom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:48 am

Triple Crown winners?
We have Lenny and Jimmy and me and...Faye.
-Guy Patterson on bass players
WhitePhantom
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby cadams35 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:08 am

billiej wrote:
econgator wrote:As a matter of fact, 9. was named one of ESPN's Top 50 Athletes of All-Time.


And #8 made the top 100, along with another that some people might think is on this list, but isn't (although he is #4's father).


Is it...race horses?

ETA: The Phantom beat me to it.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby billiej » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am

:D
billiej
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Maine

Next

Return to Main Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron