Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Movie character wordplay

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Movie character wordplay

Postby skullturfq » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Start with the name of a character from a recent very financially successful movie, the type of movie that many people prefer to watch on the big screen.

Next, switch the first and last name. For example, "George Bailey" would become "Bailey George", and "Rick Blaine" would become "Blaine Rick".

Next, replace an initial letter with a different letter. For example, we might get "Hailey George" or "Elaine Rick".

You'll get the name of the main character in a financially successful 1997 movie, the type of movie that many people prefer to watch on the big screen. (It's definitely not as financially successful as the movie I alluded to earlier, but it did rank as the 14th biggest moneymaking film of 1997.)
skullturfq

Re: Movie character wordplay

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:07 am

Logline hints below.

May contain spoilers for a movie currently in theaters.

Spoiler: show
The character Skullturf references is a military man who becomes a prisoner. He is presented with a chance to escape, but the plan's success is somewhat mitigated by a crash landing. However, because of the information he successfully hid in his non-living fellow passenger, his larger plan actually was successful. Eventually, he is able to return to his old life, and is content to forget all about his jacket.
Bill

Postby rockgolf » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:44 am

I tried to solve this quiz once. Nevermore.
rockgolf

Postby marpocky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Bill wrote:Logline hints below.

The character Skullturf references is a military man who becomes a prisoner. He is presented with a chance to escape, but the plan's success is somewhat mitigated by a crash landing. However, because of the information he successfully hid in his non-living fellow passenger, his larger plan actually was successful. Eventually, he is able to return to his old life, and is content to forget all about his jacket.

B(r)illiant as always
marpocky

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Bill wrote:Logline hints below.

This blew my mind.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby jbenz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 am

Wait, is there a reference to an actual jacket in
Con Air
?

I haven't seen it in years. I did some googling and I did find this quote:

Larkin: [tosses a folder onto a table] Here's the jacket on Cameron Poe. His wife's on the way here now. A U.S. Ranger, highly decorated. Did a litte hellraising when he was a kid, but nothing serious.

Either way, this is totally rad.
jbenz

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 am

Oh, wow. I didn't know the word was actually in that movie, but I was thinking of it in the same sense.

Thanks for all of the comments. I was proud of this one.

And, since it often helps to make these things explicit...

My description could apply to either character from Skullturf's original puzzle.
Bill

Return to Main Forum