Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Game Show question

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Game Show question

Postby rosebud » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 am

On Deal or No Deal last night, at one point the contestant answered the phone and spoke directly to the banker. We of course, could not hear what he was saying to her. Later in the show, the banker called and asked to speak directly to the contestant. Again, we couldn't hear what was being said.

Don't most game shows go to great lengths to prevent even the appearance of collusion between those who know the answers (in this case, where the big bucks are) and the contestant? When I saw this, I thought "someone's gonna get in trouble for that!"
rosebud

Postby econgator » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:57 am

If she was backstage talking to the guy who was shuffling the cases, then I'd cry foul. However, the banker has no more knowledge of what's where than anyone else on the stage does, so I see no harm in it. I think the banker's mystique and isolation is entirely for the dramatic effect, as opposed to an ethical/legal issue.
econgator

Postby Isaac Cashman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:13 am

I do not believe that either U.S. or California _Law_ reuires that THE BANKER have no idea how much the contestan will win if the contestant refuses alll deals.

When is it stated that THE BANKER has no knowledge _not availble to the contestant_ when The Banker offers a deal?
Isaac Cashman

Return to Main Forum