Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Comics Comments and Not Exactly a Poll

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Comics Comments and Not Exactly a Poll

Postby Isaac Cashman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:54 am

So: What did your newspaper pick up to replace FOXTROT?

"The Boston Globe" chose "Pooch Cafe": FEH!
They now have two talking dog strips,"Get Fuzzy" is the other, that I won't read.

Prediction: In"For Better or For Worse" Elizabeth will marry Anthony.

I would imagine that Bill Griffith got lots of angry e--mails about the irrevernce shown in the January 7, 2007 "Zippy the Pinhead".
I wonder, how many people told him that Zippy was bowling in an AMC bowling establishment, and that therefor "Bless me Brunswick..." was wrong.
Isaac Cashman

Postby krf100 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:34 am

Get Fuzzy is a great strip, but to each his own. My local paper is "auditioning" a few different strips as a replacement for Foxtrot. I wish they'd replace the Mallard Fillmore thing, too. I have never seen that strip be funny. Not once.

As far as "For Better...", there are things afoot there as well, as you can see here; http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1003528715
I forgot what I was going to say...
krf100

Postby drispw » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 am

We got Non Sequiter as a replacement, and I am happy with that. I don't care for Mallard Fillmore, Get Fuzzy or Pooch Cafe, either. Another couple of strips I like and read online are Adam@Home and The Duplex (another talking dog, but this one is funny, at least).
drispw

Postby Juliejm1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Yes, I think Elizabeth will marry Anthony. I just realized a few months back, how much Elizabeth looks like Elly did years ago when the comic first came out (the 70's I believe). I think if Lynn Johnston keeps going on this track until next September, that should get April out of school, Elizabeth married off, and Michael and family into a new house. That would round it off nicely, and we could start seeing the re-runs.

Julie
Juliejm1

Postby themanwho » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:05 pm

The Sioux Falls (SD) Argus Leader replaced Foxtrot with Stone Soup. I don't know if they're still carrying the Sundays.

Also, here's a funny blog in which the day's Mallard Fillmore is critiqued: http://duckcover.blogspot.com/index.html

-M
themanwho

Postby econgator » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:06 pm

I don't buy any paper other than the Sunday paper, so I am not sure who replaced Foxtrot.
econgator

Postby ninjapirate » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:27 am

The Odessa American chose Bizarro for the daily which is alright, but for the Sunday they wussed out and just made all the other strips bigger. Bleh.
I find Get Fuzzy hilarious. I wish they'd gotten that, but nobody asked me, oddly enough.
In the past they have actually taken reader votes on replacement strips.
ninjapirate

Postby primalscreamtherapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:03 am

It's probably a good thing - Foxtrot was starting to stagnate a bit. Too many of the "final panel ends in a trailing sentence" gag.

Still - it's better than most of the tripe they have in the papers. I would love to love "Get Fuzzy" but I just don't "get" it. It seems too much like a web-comic; it's too self-referential for me to get into.

I miss the good old days - Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side. Foxtrot was just starting and it was good, and Dilbert was hilarious. Until 1996 or so, when all of these strips were cancelled and Dilbert was no longer funny, Foxtrot was probably the best on the comics page.

I got into Pearls Before Swine for awhile, but it's going for too many lazy jokes and puns now so I don't really see any hope in the comics page.
primalscreamtherapy

Return to Main Forum