Ken Jennings

Message Boards

How did it go against QANTA

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

How did it go against QANTA

Postby gameshowcongress » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Ken, how did it go on Friday?

Quiz Bowl: QANTA vs. Ken Jennings https://www.cs.washington.edu/research/nlp/qanta

Jeopardy! champion Ken Jennings and cutting-edge quiz-playing AI QANTA go head-to-CPU in quiz bowl

UW Computer Science and Engineering is pleased to host an event for both trivia aficionados and those interested in artificial intelligence: a quiz bowl match pitting a computer against the most successful Jeopardy! player of all time.

On Friday evening, a team of researchers will debut its computerized question-answering system (QANTA) in a tossup-only competition against Ken Jennings. Unlike other question answering systems that are allowed to see the entire question at once (e.g., IBM Watson, which previously defeated Ken Jennings on Jeopardy!), this system decides when it has enough information to answer a question and is thus able to handle quiz bowl-style tossup questions.

Prior to the exhibition game, Prof. Jordan Boyd-Graber of the University of Colorado at Boulder, one of QANTA's developers, will briefly discuss the state-of-the-art machine learning research that went into the system and how interested students can get involved by using and improving the open-source system.

Ken Jennings, a former UW student, in addition to shattering American game show records, is a best-selling author and pop culture phenomenon who lives in Seattle, Washington.
gameshowcongress

Re: How did it go against QANTA

Postby rockgolf » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:29 am

QANTA: Rain man's favorite artificial intelligence system.
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 am

rockgolf wrote:QANTA: Rain man's favorite artificial intelligence system.

Never crashed.
Bill

Postby grodney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:11 am

gameshowcongress wrote:Ken, how did it go on Friday?

According to the twitters*, final score QANTA=300, KenJennings=160, and video coming soon.

*@boydgraber
grodney

Postby gameshowcongress » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:51 pm

gameshowcongress

Postby gameshowcongress » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:38 am

Bot attack!
gameshowcongress

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:16 pm

I somehow didn't see this thread until the bot attack!

The QANTA game wasn't particularly close, because I'm not a university-level quiz bowl team. In areas where I can play quiz bowl at university levels, like literature and current culture, I think I usually outbuzzed QANTA, but it was much better than me at science, history...subjects that I was never a great player at even when I was on a quiz bowl team.

At the moment, its "memory" is just a database of past quiz bowl questions, so it's also powerless against novel or timely material (like that Trump tossup).
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Momma Snider » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, you're still the smartest person I know! Not that we've ever met.
Momma Snider

Return to Main Forum