Ken Jennings

Message Boards

This and That

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

This and That

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:27 pm

James Franco and John Malkovich are examples of actors who did This but not That in the same film.

It's far more common for actors to do That but not This. Notable examples include Danny DeVito and Tim Robbins, who could easily have done This in films where they did That, but didn't.

Julia Roberts, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ben Affleck are examples of actors who have done both This and That in the same film.

To be clear, I'm referring to a different film for each of the seven actors named.

Can you identify This and That? Can you provide other examples?
Bill

Re: This and That

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:09 pm

Unless you're operating on another level -- which you are known to do -- I know what This and That are, but I am having a difficult time coming up with a telling example that is unique from the seven you provided.

I guess I can suggest a variation. Neil Patrick Harris is rare that he did This and came back to do This again. To my knowledge, the only other person who qualifies was briefly in the Julia Roberts movie. And if IMDb is correct, Billy Zane will join the exclusive club next year.

Also, I'm not sure how Tim Robbins fits into this (This?), as he is not as amazing an example as Danny DeVito. Put another way: if it's the movie I have in mind, Tim Robbins is no different than any of his co-stars who also did That.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:39 am

Neel, you've got it.

Originally, I was just going to ask what Julia Roberts, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ben Affleck all have in common, and if anyone could think of other examples. But that didn't seem like enough to go on, so I added extra information.

For those of you who have it, are there other examples of actors who have done both This and That in the same film?

For those of you who don't have it yet, the Danny DeVito film is:

Spoiler: show
Man on the Moon
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:24 am

Bill wrote:For those of you who have it, are there other examples of actors who have done both This and That in the same film?

I later thought of an even stranger example: a non-actor (actually an American politician) who does both This and That in the same film franchise. He does This in one film, but does That in at least two other films. He did a fourth film, but it is unclear if he did This or That in it.

By the way, the actor who did This, and then came back in the Julia Roberts movie to do This again, is
Topher Grace.
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:25 am

Seven years having been enough, can I guess that This is
played a fictional version of themselves in a movie

and That is
played two roles in a movie, one of the being themselves.
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 pm

rockgolf wrote:Seven years having been enough, can I guess that This is
played a fictional version of themselves in a movie

and That is
played two roles in a movie, one of the being themselves.

Maybe it just feels like seven years.

Your That is my This and That, but you've got it.

Are there other examples of actors playing themselves and another role in the same film?

TV Tropes says Mike Meyers did it in The Love Guru. I will take their word for it.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:31 am

Neel Mehta wrote:I later thought of an even stranger example: a non-actor (actually an American politician) who does both This and That in the same film franchise. He does This in one film, but does That in at least two other films. He did a fourth film, but it is unclear if he did This or That in it.

May as well answer this for the sake of completion.

U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), a Batman fan, played himself in Batman & Robin and played a fictional character in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. He was also in Batman Forever.

Neil Patrick Harris played himself in 3 Harold & Kumar movies. Topher Grace played himself in Ocean's Eleven and Twelve. Billy Zane was a cool dude in Zoolander, and is expected to return in Zoolander 2. I can't think of any other examples where a person plays himself or herself in a film and its sequel.

ETA: According to CNN, it looks like Senator Leahy will appear in Batman v Superman in 2016.

Affleck confirmed the Vermont Democrat will appear in the upcoming Batman movie, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," during his testimony at a hearing of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Diplomacy and National Security on Thursday.

"To Senator Leahy, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge my co-star in Batman," said Affleck, who plays the caped crusader/Gotham City millionaire Bruce Wayne in the latest installment out next year. "The role is marginally smaller than mine, but I understand you're quite good."
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks, Neel. I didn't know about Leahy and hadn't been able to figure it out.

I'll fill in my gaps as well.

James Franco plays himself in This is the End. The other actors in the movie are also playing themselves. John Malkovich plays himself in Being John Malkovich. Rockgolf referred to it as "a fictional version of themselves" which is probably worth noting for these and examples to come.

Danny DeVito has a major role in Man on the Moon, a biopic about Andy Kaufman. At one point, most of the cast of Taxi appears playing themselves. Danny DeVito does not appear as himself in this scene.

A running joke in The Player is a constant stream of Hollywood actors making cameo appearances. Some of the major roles are played by Hollywood celebrities as well (such as Tim Robbins, Whoopi Goldberg, and others) but none of them make appearances as themselves in the film.

Julia Roberts plays Tess Ocean in Ocean's Twelve. At one point, Danny Ocean's crew pulls off a con that relies on Tess's uncanny resemblance to celebrity Julia Roberts. Roberts also appears as herself during this sequence.

The Last Action Hero is about a movie action hero who comes off the screen to befriend a young fan. The action hero obviously looks like the actor who plays him, Arnold Schwarzenegger, which is acknowledged within the movie's universe. Schwarzenegger also appears as himself later in the film.

Ben Affleck appears as himself in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Affleck also plays a role earlier in the film. To my recollection, no mention is made of the resemblance between the two men. Affleck just plays both roles. It's been a while, though, and I could be wrong about that.
Bill

Return to Main Forum