Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Good Night Sweet Prints

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Good Night Sweet Prints

Postby rockgolf » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:24 am

Brooks and Marsh’s Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable Shows had been reliably updated every four years or so since 1979; the Eighth Edition in 2003 was likely its tombstone. Ditto Fred Bronson’s Billboard Book of Number One Hits (b. 1985, d. 2003) and Joel Whitburn’s Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (b. 1983, d. 2010). These books were labors of love painstakingly compiled by lonely bearded men in paneled basements, and I loved them all and bought every update.

Some updates, in the reverse order.

While the Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits has gone, Joel Whitburn still produces the even-more-mammoth-than-ever Top Pop Singles, which is approaching atlas size these day. You can find it at recordresearch.com

I was a big fan of Fred Bronson, and started corresponding with him on his Chart Beat Chat on-line column back in 1997 or 98. I've got 2 editions of his Number One Hits and even more enjoyable Hottest Hot 100 Hits. I've tried with moderate success (and with Fred's permission) to create updated versions of his all-time greatest chart hits list from that book.

Until last year, I hadn't heard of the Brooks & Marsh book, but researching a Sporcle quiz, I ran into Tim Brooks' blog. I even got permission from them to convert their Top 100 series of All Time list into a Sporcle quiz.

(BTW, from my correspondence, none of them are "lonely bearded men in panelled basements. Trivia note: Fred Bronson was in the first Spider-Man letters column, and later officiated the wedding of American Idol contestants Ace Young & Diana De Garmo. Both Brooks & Marsh are University Professors.)
rockgolf

Re: Good Night Sweet Prints

Postby Ken Jennings » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:54 am

"Lonely bearded men in paneled basements" and "university professors" is actually the same thing. :)

Great idea for a Sporcle quiz, much harder than I thought. What are the other canonical books I should have included? Ephraim Katz's Film Encyclopedia was actually last updated in 2012, which is amazing since Katz died in 1992.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby rockgolf » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 pm

Well, there's the UK equivalent of Whitburn, the Guinness Book of Top 40 hits.
rockgolf

Postby DuggleBogey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:45 pm

I can see Doug now. IMDB lists how many names? 99, including key grip. Good luck contestants!

I also find it difficult to imagine that Ken hasn't done what I have and started reading one article on Wikipedia and ended up at 3:30am with 27 tabs open waiting for me to read the next article that I've opened in a new tab as I was reading.
DuggleBogey

Postby at8ax » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:49 am

Point of order: There was a ninth edition of Brooks and Marsh issued in 2007.
at8ax

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Hey, nice catch. I know I tried to find a 9th ed. on Amazon but must have given up too fast. Fixed.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby themanwho » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:"Lonely bearded men in paneled basements" and "university professors" is actually the same thing. :)

Great idea for a Sporcle quiz, much harder than I thought. What are the other canonical books I should have included? Ephraim Katz's Film Encyclopedia was actually last updated in 2012, which is amazing since Katz died in 1992.

I'm curious to see how long Uncle John's Bathroom Reader can keep churning out new annual editions. I didn't see a new on at B&N last week, but according to their website, it's out.
Not many Myrons left in this world, but I'm one of them.
themanwho

Return to Main Forum