Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Music videos on Wikipedia

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Music videos on Wikipedia

Postby skullturfq » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am

I'll give you an excerpt from a Wikipedia article describing the music video for a song. See if you can name the song and/or the performer.

#1. "During the bridge, the Superman-costumed Reagan and a Monoclonius-type dinosaur (with punk jewellery) watch a television showing various clips..."

#2. "Doroschuk, and others in the video, can be seen repeatedly forming an "S" sign by jerking both arms into a stiff pose, one arm in an upward curve and the other in a downward curve..."

#3. "...and featured a live performance of the band, first shown to be life-size skeleton marionettes dressed as the band, then as themselves."

#4. "...playing a teenage girl being kicked out of her house by her father (played by actor Trey Wilson), while her mother looks on and her brother (played by actor Philip Cruise) watches sadly from an upper-story window."

#5. "Two oven-ready chickens, headless and featherless, were animated using stop-motion and shown dancing along to the synthesised flute solo in the middle of the song."

#6. "... almost entirely in black and white, and features the band performing the song in a warehouse. It features dialogue and several scenes from the 1971 film adaptation of Johnny Got His Gun."

#7. "...performing at the original Arnold's Drive-In diner from the popular '70s television show Happy Days. The video combined contemporary footage of the band with clips from the show."

#8. "...a middle-aged man (played by Dorian Lough) who lies down in the middle of the pavement just outside of the apartment building. People start to gather, thinking that something must be wrong with the man..."

#9. "The video was shot guerrilla-style (that is, on location without obtaining permission from the owners of the property) in front of puzzled onlookers outside a movie theatre in Westwood, California. In the video, Jonze and the dance group dance..."

#10. "...featured the band playing at a pep rally in a high school gym to an audience of apathetic students on bleachers, and cheerleaders wearing black dresses with the Circle-A anarchist symbol."
skullturfq

Re: Music videos on Wikipedia

Postby rockgolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Most of these seem familiar.

Spoiler: show
#1: Land of Confusion / Genesis
#2: Walk Like an Egyptian / The Bangles
#3: Touch of Grey / Grateful Dead
#4: Love is a Battlefield / Pat Benatar
#5: Sledgehammer / Peter Gabriel
#6: One / Metallica
#7: Buddy Holly / Weezer
#8: No sure but sounds like an REM song. Everybody Hurts?
#9: Praise You / Fatboy Slim
#10: Smells Like Teen Spirit / Nirvana

Add another ten, and you've got an awesome Sporcle quiz.
rockgolf

Postby skullturfq » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Nicely done. You are mostly correct, but your answer for #2 is wrong.

Your guess for #8 seems kind of close in spirit, but you don't have the right band or song.
skullturfq

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Closing it out:

Spoiler: show
2. Men Without Hats, "The Safety Dance"
8. Radiohead, "Just"
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:17 am

#7 shares the record of the most distributed music video in history. Both it and "What I Am" by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians were included as video files with the release if Windows 95.
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 pm

rockgolf wrote:Add another ten, and you've got an awesome Sporcle quiz.

I guess I can help with that.

11. "Ziegler shared her thoughts about the dance moves to New York magazine: 'I like the whole dance. It was really different and weird for me, because I usually don't, you know, be a crazy person every time. It was so fun to do and it was really out of the box and it expanded me a lot, because I'm used to competition dances where you're like, 'Point your toes!' But this time it was like, you just need to let go and feel it.'"

12. "...featuring robot-like movable sculptures (by Jim Whiting) dancing, spinning and even walking in time to the music in a 'virtual house' in London, England..."

13. "Two airline mechanics (played by Jack Black and Kyle Gass from Tenacious D) smuggle and hide their narcotic known as 'World Domination brand Erotic Sleeping Powder' in the coffee-maker. This ends up incapacitating everyone who drinks the coffee."

14. "...while Affleck is eyeing the paparazzi holding the camera. They are later at a gas station, where the paparazzi have followed them. She is seen in the recording studio in a building."

15. "...in a musical duel in neighboring studios before the singer literally breaks through the wall that separates them. The video then segues to the bands' joint performance on stage. The highly popular video was the first hip hop hybrid video ever played in heavy rotation on MTV..."

16. "It was shot frame by frame with each frame having the LEGO bricks rebuilt, sometimes in a complex manner to seem as if it were an actual shot, and then formed together to give the illusion of motion. The video mostly consists of red, white, and black color."

17. "Dave Stewart appears as the caterpillar at the beginning, sitting on a mushroom with a hookah water pipe while playing a sitar."

18. "... the inspiration for the video was a 1969 Bob Fosse routine entitled 'Mexican Breakfast' seen on The Ed Sullivan Show, which featured Fosse's wife, Gwen Verdon, dancing with two other women."

19. "The music video of the song is an elaborate performance of the band dancing on treadmills in a single continuous take."

20. "...came up with the idea of reversing the British Invasion, by having the American band The Love Below becoming popular on a British television program."
Neel Mehta

Return to Main Forum