Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Favorite trivia question you've ever heard

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Favorite trivia question you've ever heard

Postby skullturfq » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:02 am

Here are two that I'm fond of.

Who was the only U.S. President from the second half of the 20th century who was never named Time Magazine's Man of the Year?

What 1966 film based on a play had all four of its credited performers get nominated for Academy Awards?
skullturfq

Postby jeffwolfe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 am

Trivial Warfare wrote:My favorite question stands out from the pack. It was asked at a pub quiz game I attended.

In which stadium did Pete Rose break Ty Cobb's record for the most hits in an MLB career?

Spoiler: show
The answer is Riverfront Stadium

This question has a ton of good things going for it.
    *In baseball you play half of your games at home, so the likelihood is that he would do it at his home stadium.
    *Rose played the vast majority of his career as Cincinnati Red who play home games at Riverfront Stadium
    *He didn't break the record until the end of his career.
    *At the end of his career he spent 6 years playing for the Phillies and Expos
    *However, at the very end of his career he was traded back to the Reds and was given the role of player-manager
    *He, of course, made sure he got enough at bats to collect the record and did it as a Red for the second time.

See, now I thought that was a trick question.

Pete Rose collected hit #4192 on September 11, 1985, as a member of the Cincinnati Reds against the San Diego Padres at Riverfront Stadium.

However, baseball historians generally accept that the American League double-counted the hits for one of Ty Cobb's games, and his actual hit total was 4,189. Despite the evidence, Major League Baseball decided not to change their records.

Pete Rose actually passed Ty Cobb's hit total when he collected hit #4190 three days earlier, on September 8, 1985, against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

If you believe the evidence instead of what Major League Baseball tells you, the answer is Wrigley Field.
jeffwolfe

Postby Bill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:20 pm

I heard a good trivia question a long time ago that I repeated for years.

"Who is the only actor who was a series regular on three different hour-long television series, each of which lasted at least five seasons?"

I don't know if it's still true. I can tell you that the answer actor did indeed achieve the feat, but can't confirm he was the only one ever.

There's no trick wording or arcane knowledge here. The actor is strongly identified with each of the three series. It's not John Forsythe doing the voice of Charlie or anything like that. Also, they were three different characters, so it's not like, um, John Forsythe playing Blake Carrington on two different shows.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that it's not John Forsythe.

Any guesses for who it is?
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Bill wrote:I heard a good trivia question a long time ago that I repeated for years.

"Who is the only actor who was a series regular on three different hour-long television series, each of which lasted at least five seasons?"

A very good answer, possibly the right answer, came to mind immediately.

Michael Landon: Bonanza, Little House on the Prairie, Highway to Heaven

I think of that person as one of those actors with one of the most versatile careers tied mostly to TV, like Bill Cosby or LeVar Burton.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:A very good answer, possibly the right answer, came to mind immediately.

Michael Landon: Bonanza, Little House on the Prairie, Highway to Heaven

That was the intended answer, yes. The three series combined had 28 seasons.
Bill

Postby themanwho » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 pm

What was both the first word spoken by Helen Keller, and the last word spoken by Ulysses Grant?

(All credit to Ray Hamel)
Not many Myrons left in this world, but I'm one of them.
themanwho

Postby marpocky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Bill wrote:I heard a good trivia question a long time ago that I repeated for years.

I don't know if it's still true. I can tell you that the answer actor did indeed achieve the feat, but can't confirm he was the only one ever.

I was going to say William Shatner, but then I remembered Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons (TJ Hooker and Boston Legal both had exactly 5).

There almost certainly must be multiple people who qualify for this now. One that comes to mind is David Boreanaz who was/is a series regular on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Bones. Now that's cheating a bit since he played the same role on Buffy and Angel, and was only a regular on Buffy for 3 years, but as worded he does answer the question. I'm sure there are many others but he's the first I came upon.
marpocky

Postby Bill » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:40 pm

That's quite a loophole. Let's run with it.

Can anyone name an actor who was a series regular on four television series, each of which lasted at least five seasons, but was not himself on five seasons of any of them?

The actor played different characters on all four series.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Bill wrote:That's quite a loophole. Let's run with it.

Can anyone name an actor who was a series regular on four television series, each of which lasted at least five seasons, but was not himself on five seasons of any of them?

The actor played different characters on all four series.

I thought I had this, but I don't. Jimmy Smits did a season of Dexter (which ran 8 seasons), about 2 seasons of The West Wing (7 seasons) and about 3 seasons of Sons of Anarchy (7 seasons). The hitch is NYPD Blue -- Wikipedia says he appeared in 5 of 12 seasons. Smits is the first person to come to mind for this kind of question; most of his TV career is about joining shows already in progress. Star Wars, too. (He was there at the beginning for LA Law, but his character was the new guy at the firm, which sort of counts.)

The question is gender-specific, but I still considered the female version of Jimmy Smits: Jeri Ryan. She doesn't work here either. Seven of Nine appeared in 4 of 7 seasons on Star Trek Voyager. She did 3 seasons of Boston Public (which ran only 4 seasons) and was not really a regular on Leverage (which ran 5 seasons). None of her other shows lasted 5 seasons.

Back to square one.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:46 am

The question has gender-specific wording because the actor I was thinking of is male, but of course, valid female answers will be accepted.

Smits and Ryan come close. So does my guy, who turns out to have been on 7 seasons of a show I thought he was only on for 2 or 3. Here is his actual record: 2 of 11, 4 of 9, 1 of 9, 7 of 11, 1 of 1, 3 of 3.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 am

Bill wrote:So does my guy, who turns out to have been on 7 seasons of a show I thought he was only on for 2 or 3. Here is his actual record: 2 of 11, 4 of 9, 1 of 9, 7 of 11, 1 of 1, 3 of 3.

Oh, him. He's a very special kind of TV show latecomer: an angel of death. I recall some people declaring the end of The West Wing when he made a guest appearance. And I think he showed up on Mad Men once the endgame was already announced.

Back to... well, I'm not sure. Do we keep looking for an answer that may or may not exist?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Back to... well, I'm not sure. Do we keep looking for an answer that may or may not exist?

Good point. Let's change the question…

Can anyone name an actor who was a series regular on four television series, each of which lasted at least five seasons, but was on fewer than half of the seasons for each of them?

Now we can give you Jimmy Smits for the win.

My miss:

Ted McGinley. I stopped watching Married with Children after about Season 5 or so and had no idea it had continued on so long.
Bill

Postby marpocky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:31 am

Rob Lowe was a regular on The West Wing (4 of 7 seasons, plus briefly appearing in a 5th), Brothers and Sisters (3 of 5, plus recurring in a 4th), and Parks and Recreation (3.5 of 7, plus recurring in 2 more), making him not an answer to any of the questions, but part of the same discussion at least.
marpocky

Return to Main Forum