Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Whither Kennections?

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Whither Kennections?

Postby TimHarrod » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:23 pm

For many weeks now, I've sought a new Kennections puzzle at Parade.com, only to be taunted by the most recent puzzle, #243 ("Elvis Fans Flock to This Memphis Attraction," 12/17).

I don't have any hate if they've decided to drop the puzzle, but an announcement would be nice.
TimHarrod

Re: Whither Kennections?

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:23 pm

I wish I had an answer myself. Parade was sold late last year to a Tennessee-based sports media company called Athlon, which immediately fired 100% of editorial. I have yet to receive a definitive answer on Kennections, and "no answer" + time usually = "no," but I think things are still pretty hectic over there, so who knows.

If you like Kennections, I'm sure contacting Parade to tell them so wouldn't hurt.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Momma Snider » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 pm

I've been disappointed about Kennections, too. I've actually noticed a decrease in quality in Parade over the past several months, at least that's been my perception.
Momma Snider

Postby TimHarrod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:58 pm

I put in a request at parade.com (They make it pretty easy).

If Parade is done with the feature, I hope Ken owns the name and concept and we can see it again somewhere. I really enjoyed solving (and submitting) them.
TimHarrod

Postby skullturfq » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:55 pm

In the meantime, maybe we can try to make up our own here? Like we did with those Spy Magazine lists?

Here's one I made up that I posted on Facebook a little while back.

#1. In the King James Bible, what word meaning "lair" appears several times in Chapter 6 of the book of Daniel?

#2. What are the initials of the footnote-happy author of "Infinite Jest" and "Consider the Lobster"?

#3. Appearing twice in the last line, what is the last noun in the lyrics of "America the Beautiful"?

#4. What British recording artist of Tamil background released the 2008 hit "Paper Planes"?

#5. What word meaning "loose" or "lenient" is also a Scottish dialectal word referring to salmon?
skullturfq

Postby Momma Snider » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am

Parade also quit printing Howard Huge!
Momma Snider

Postby gameshowcongress » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:35 pm

Sign the petition here to Keep Kennections

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keep-kennections
gameshowcongress

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:01 pm

skullturfq wrote:In the meantime, maybe we can try to make up our own here? Like we did with those Spy Magazine lists?

#1. In the King James Bible, what word meaning "lair" appears several times in Chapter 6 of the book of Daniel?

#2. What are the initials of the footnote-happy author of "Infinite Jest" and "Consider the Lobster"?

#3. Appearing twice in the last line, what is the last noun in the lyrics of "America the Beautiful"?

#4. What British recording artist of Tamil background released the 2008 hit "Paper Planes"?

#5. What word meaning "loose" or "lenient" is also a Scottish dialectal word referring to salmon?

I took a guess at what #5 might be, and that's what gave me the theme! Nice Skull-ection.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:35 pm

I like the idea of a crowdsourced Kennections thread. Saves money on Parade subscriptions. And as Egon Spengler noted over 30 years ago, "Print is dead."

Crowdsourced Kennections Volume II

1. In the climax of the 2001 movie Zoolander, Derek Zoolander unleashes what ultimate model look, causing even the villain Mugatu to exclaim, "It's beautiful!"?

2. The fast food chain Wendy's promotes a premium fillet sandwich made from what kind of fish?

3. The 1992 movie A League of Their Own primarily focuses on the Peaches, a female professional baseball team from what Illinois city?

4. What candy company produces, among others, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, and Milky Way?

5. What 1988 power ballad by Aerosmith peaked at #3 on the Billboard charts, and remained the band's biggest hit until their lame Armageddon theme song hit #1 ten years later?
Neel Mehta

Postby skullturfq » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:24 am

skullturfq wrote:In the meantime, maybe we can try to make up our own here? Like we did with those Spy Magazine lists?

Here are explicit answers to the five questions:

Spoiler: show
#1. Den
#2. D.F.W. (David Foster Wallace)
#3. Sea (From sea to shining sea)
#4. M.I.A.
#5. Lax

and the kennection:

They are all three-letter airport codes for airports in the United States.
DEN = Denver, DFW = Dallas-Fort Worth, SEA = Seattle, MIA = Miami, LAX = Los Angeles

Here's another attempt at a Kennections-style puzzle. I think this is original with me, but sometimes it's hard to come up with a truly original idea. Ken wrote so many of these that there's a chance that this accidentally overlaps with one he's already done.

#1. This is equated to "truth" in the closing lines of Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn

#2. This dance became a popular fad after the release of a 1975 song by Van McCoy

#3. This baked dessert is mentioned in "Little Jack Horner" and "Titus Andronicus"

#4. This 1960 black and white movie is sometimes considered the first of the "slasher" genre

#5. This term for someone who attacks from a concealed location gets its name from a bird
skullturfq

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Parade 2.0 has passed on Kennections, but it now looks like a near-certainty that it will be back soon under other auspices. And possibly under a different name, for legal reasons. Kenjunctions? Kengruities? Kenfederations? Pitch away.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby gameshowcongress » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:43 pm

mistaKEN

gloKENspiel - a Ken's game, brightly (auf Deutsch)

kent·ledge (kĕntlĭj) n. Nautical: Pig iron used as permanent ballast.

"What's the frequency?"
gameshowcongress

Postby gameshowcongress » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

WeeKENd Trivia

Trivia StricKEN
gameshowcongress

Postby Theone36952s » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:14 pm

The logical name is:

Kendy Krush Saga.
Theone36952s

Postby skullturfq » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:26 pm

skullturfq

Postby rockgolf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 am

Ken-Joinings?
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:55 am

Neel Mehta wrote:Crowdsourced Kennections Volume II

1. In the climax of the 2001 movie Zoolander, Derek Zoolander unleashes what ultimate model look, causing even the villain Mugatu to exclaim, "It's beautiful!"?

2. The fast food chain Wendy's promotes a premium fillet sandwich made from what kind of fish?

3. The 1992 movie A League of Their Own primarily focuses on the Peaches, a female professional baseball team from what Illinois city?

4. What candy company produces, among others, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, and Milky Way?

5. What 1988 power ballad by Aerosmith peaked at #3 on the Billboard charts, and remained the band's biggest hit until their lame Armageddon theme song hit #1 ten years later?

Here are the answers:
1. Magnum
2. Cod
3. Rockford
4. Mars
5. "Angel"

And the commonality:
They are all TV characters who are private investigators: Thomas MAGNUM, Emerson COD, Jim ROCKFORD, Keith and Veronica MARS, ANGEL.
Neel Mehta

Postby skullturfq » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:50 pm

skullturfq wrote:Here's another attempt at a Kennections-style puzzle. I think this is original with me, but sometimes it's hard to come up with a truly original idea. Ken wrote so many of these that there's a chance that this accidentally overlaps with one he's already done.

#1. This is equated to "truth" in the closing lines of Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn

#2. This dance became a popular fad after the release of a 1975 song by Van McCoy

#3. This baked dessert is mentioned in "Little Jack Horner" and "Titus Andronicus"

#4. This 1960 black and white movie is sometimes considered the first of the "slasher" genre

#5. This term for someone who attacks from a concealed location gets its name from a bird

Here are the five answers. I'm deliberately not revealing the commonality yet, just in case anyone wants to ponder the commonality given the five answers.

#1.
Beauty

#2.
Hustle

#3.
Pie

#4.
Psycho

#5.
Sniper
skullturfq

Postby skullturfq » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:38 pm

As I mentioned, I had a vague feeling of "Did Ken already do a very similar one?"

But maybe I was thinking of his puzzle #66. One of the answers is the same word as one of my answers, but the other four (and the theme) are different.

http://parade.com/158397/kenjennings/ke ... zle-no-66/
skullturfq

Postby skullturfq » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 am

skullturfq wrote:
skullturfq wrote:Here's another attempt at a Kennections-style puzzle. I think this is original with me, but sometimes it's hard to come up with a truly original idea. Ken wrote so many of these that there's a chance that this accidentally overlaps with one he's already done.

Here are the five answers. I'm deliberately not revealing the commonality yet, just in case anyone wants to ponder the commonality given the five answers.

#1.
Beauty

#2.
Hustle

#3.
Pie

#4.
Psycho

#5.
Sniper

Now that some time has passed, here is the explicit answer to what the five things have in common.

Each of them
becomes the title of a well-known movie if you put the word "American" in front.
skullturfq

Postby skullturfq » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:17 am

Any more news on Kennections-type puzzles being reborn in another venue?

In the meantime, here's another puzzle in that style that I posted on Facebook last year.

1. This actress starred on "Blossom" in the 1990s and more recently has been a cast member on "The Big Bang Theory".

2. This actor and comedian created a very successful 1984-1992 sitcom about an upper-middle-class African American family.

3. This actor, the son of Korean immigrants, appeared on the TV series "Community" and in the "Hangover" movies.

4. This lead guitarist for the band Queen sometimes uses a sixpence coin instead of a pick.

5. This New Jersey-born athlete who attended LSU was drafted #1 overall by the Magic and later won titles with the Lakers and Heat.
skullturfq

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:19 am

It's been slow going, but the good news about Kennections 2.0 is (1) the quiz will still be called "Kennections," thanks to Parade's being a good sport, and (2) it will be a lot more interactive in its new form. Hopefully the tech side will be done soon.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby gameshowcongress » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:54 am

Maybe you can get an endorsement from James Burke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connection ... _series%29
gameshowcongress

Postby rockgolf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:04 am

If you want to "kickstart" the new Kennections, you could recycle a few of them as Sporcle quizzes. I'll bet you could get the site to debut them on the front page, rather than just user-contributed.

PM me if you want to see an example of how they could look.
rockgolf

Postby skullturfq » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:19 am

skullturfq wrote:Any more news on Kennections-type puzzles being reborn in another venue?

In the meantime, here's another puzzle in that style that I posted on Facebook last year.

1. This actress starred on "Blossom" in the 1990s and more recently has been a cast member on "The Big Bang Theory".

2. This actor and comedian created a very successful 1984-1992 sitcom about an upper-middle-class African American family.

3. This actor, the son of Korean immigrants, appeared on the TV series "Community" and in the "Hangover" movies.

4. This lead guitarist for the band Queen sometimes uses a sixpence coin instead of a pick.

5. This New Jersey-born athlete who attended LSU was drafted #1 overall by the Magic and later won titles with the Lakers and Heat.

Here are the answers to mine. I'm not explicitly mentioning the common bond in this post.

Mayim Bialik

Bill Cosby

Ken Jeong

Brian May

Shaquille O'Neal
skullturfq

Next