Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Gridlock's subtitle

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Gridlock's subtitle

Postby buschap » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:12 pm

The comment about how there's really little in the book about being a "mad genius" is apt, but I saw Matt Gaffney at an author appearance where he said he hated the subtitle, and his publisher hated the main title, so they comprimised and put them both.
buschap

Re: Gridlock's subtitle

Postby econgator » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:01 pm

buschap wrote:The comment about how there's really little in the book about being a "mad genius" is apt, but I saw Matt Gaffney at an author appearance where he said he hated the subtitle, and his publisher hated the main title, so they comprimised and put them both.

Sounds a bit like the story Ken told about Brainiac.
econgator

Postby krf100 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:23 am

econgator wrote:
buschap wrote:The comment about how there's really little in the book about being a "mad genius" is apt, but I saw Matt Gaffney at an author appearance where he said he hated the subtitle, and his publisher hated the main title, so they comprimised and put them both.

It also sounds like the story Orson Scott Card told about "Ender's Shadow". He very much wanted to call it "Bean". The publisher went with the more marketable name by invoking the name Ender.
I forgot what I was going to say...
krf100

Postby cadams35 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:55 pm

krf100 wrote:
econgator wrote:

It also sounds like the story Orson Scott Card told about "Ender's Shadow". He very much wanted to call it "Bean". The publisher went with the more marketable name by invoking the name Ender.

Yep, it sounds like Brainiac.

As for Ender's Shadow, I thought it was better than the first one.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby Dave Mackey » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:42 am

KEN: While we're on the subject, are you going to be at Stamford again this year?
Dave Mackey
Dave Mackey

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 pm

I'd really like to come, but it's sort of a long commute from Seattle, you know?
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby econgator » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:I'd really like to come, but it's sort of a long commute from Seattle, you know?

See, now that excuse holds water if Stamford were in eastern CT, but it's in western CT, so ... ummm ... yeah ... :)
econgator

Return to Main Forum